Sunshine Villa

80 Front Street, Santa Cruz, CA, 95060

Reviews of Sunshine Villa

S H March 27, 2016

The main selling point of Sunshine Villa was that it’s the closest one to where we lived. The staff is wonderful, but we really didn’t get to know them until they moved in. The rooms are very expensive but very nice. The food is not so good. They have to sit in the same place every day to eat with the same people, and they don’t get to mingle in the dining room, which is the main point of socialization, so it’s a little awkward. They have a lot of music performances and different activities, like group activities and different bingo-like games. The music is too loud in the dining room, and it’s not necessarily soothing music. That was another complaint we had that we brought to the staff. If people want to talk, it’s just too loud and distracting in the dining area. They’re wonderful people.

Anonymous104904850 April 27, 2015

I think Sunshine Villa is extremely clean, and the people who work there are really kind people. I also think that it is a great place for people who have minor dementia or problems. I find it is a nice place for assisted living.

They put mom in assisted living, and I think she probably should have been in memory care. Her dementia has increased, and we are now going through taking her out of the room she is in to put her in another temporary room because she has a roommate in her current room. We do not know what they are going to do with her. We are kind of startled. They evaluated her a number of times, and we are confused about why they said yes to her which was not going to work, but at the same time I feel like they are trying the best they can to figure out what we can do.

Overall, it looks great, it smells great, they have nice activities, and the people are wonderful, but they are having a difficulty meeting her needs and communicating with us to try some other things. I am giving them a rating of two after having my mother there, only because they do not have the ability to take care of her.

Thank you for providing feedback about your mother’s experience in assisted living with us. We’re so glad to hear you found our community to be clean and inviting. We take pride in providing a warm and accommodating home for our residents.

We are, however, sorry to hear about the lapses in communication you describe surrounding your mother’s accommodation. We understand how difficult navigating these decisions can be and we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Please reach out to Executive Director, Teri Cilley-Kruzic at (831) 459-8400 to discuss any other concerns you may have.

Caring101188150 January 25, 2015

We saw two apartments, and they seemed roomy with nice views. I was impressed with the care they give to their clientele. We didn't sample the food, but the formal dining room seemed nice at their memory care section, and they had assigned seating. We only had interaction with one person there, and she was very friendly. Sunshine Villa Assisted Living was a very formal facility. I was just thinking somebody that is not used to that level of formality might be a little uncomfortable there.

Bill42 March 27, 2014

Mom did some rehab post-op at Sunshine Villa. The rooms were good, the food was very good, the staff was decent. The nursing aspect of it was very deficient. They have a gamut of activities going on for people. They probably don't have as much exercise, because I didn't see too many facilities for that and it seemed to be an older clientele. She was happy, but they really mishandled her long term care insurance and so the result was we had to get a lawyer involved just to get the insurance company to pay. I would say administratively, they were deficient but in every other way, they were acceptable. Another thing about Sunshine Villa is it's very expensive.

Marny June 12, 2013

At Sunshine Villa, the memory care unit was very small and very dark. There wasn't enough place for people to sit and talk except in the hallway and the only outside light was coming from the patients' rooms. The rooms were also small. The facility itself was unimpressive. I wouldn't recommend this facility.

Lindy Lou1 November 22, 2012

The staff were pleasant and engaging. The facility had invited Westlake elementary school first graders to sing to them over the holidays. The coordinator was organized and well prepared with helpers to facilitate a smooth visit from the children.

commercesd June 14, 2012

We decided to visit Sunshine Villa Assisted Living since it is relatively close to where our aunt has vacationed in the past. The grounds were spacious and well tended.

We liked the area a lot and there are plenty of affordable accommodations for family members who visit from out of town.

We liked the vibe - it was friendly and casual, yet the business of taking care of those who needed it was being attended to. There is plenty of staff to take care of basic needs and cleaning, so everything works out fine.

All of the areas were pleasant to be in and we could see that the residents thought so, too. The activities ranged from board games, to discussions, private reading and watching film and TV some people were also using computers.

The staff is well-versed at taking care of a variety of types of people, from those who are not ambulatory to people who have memory issues. Our aunt is in the early stages of dementia it comes and goes so she needs to live in a place that can handle this.

The food looked well-prepared and appetizing. Dining areas were welcoming and nicely designed.

All of the indoor areas were all clean and bright. There is plenty of sunlight so that they do not need to use lighting when it is sunny outside. This is true for many of the dwelling spaces, as well. Our aunt likes to make artwork, so the lighting is really appreciated.

The activities they plan regularly include everything from visiting local restaurant favorites, the public library and movies to day trips to the ocean.

They have planned exercise classes but also offer residents to work out any time they wish. We liked that they encourage exercise a people with early dementia can be forgetful.

This is a lovely facility and we would recommend that those interested go and check it out for their loved ones.

From Sunshine Villa

Located on Beach Hill, just minutes from the shore, Sunshine Villa is a premier senior living community. The beacon of our grounds is the beautiful Victorian architecture, which has served residents since 1990. We offer:

• Assisted Living - for those seeking a little extra help with ADLs
  • Illuminations Memory Care - quality care and programming for those facing forms of dementia
  • Respite Care - care for shorter periods, such as after a hospital stay
As well as features like:
  • Restaurant-style meals
  • Wellness programs
  • Full-service beauty salon

Contact us to set up a time to tour our facilities.

Features of Sunshine Villa

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $5,975/month

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 62