I recently visited Sunrise Senior Living in Holbrook to inquire about placement for my husband. The facility is unique in that it looks like a bed and breakfast, rather than an assisted living facility. It is extremely attractive, warm and inviting as you drive up. Once inside, the excitement continues as you try to take in the beautifully decorated areas and homey atmosphere complete with a resident dog, parrot, and bird. I didn't know where to look first! There are several common areas for the residents for activities, movies, big screen T.V. and lounging, as well as a beverage bar and dining room. There are no visitation restrictions and family members may reserve a private dining area for meals with their loved ones. Overall, I'd say Sunrise Senior Living offers a safe, attractive environment with all the comforts of home.
The best parts about Sunrise Senior Living in Holbrook are:
1. That it provides a full service program for independent and assisted living for individuals and couples, as well as a more structured, secure and small special needs program for those with conditions such as Alzheimer's, etc. which other similar facilitates may not offer. Hospice services are also available.
2. Individual service plans including grooming, dressing, medication, and socialization activities, with skilled nursing care and rehab therapy are available.
3. Choice of private or shared room complete with basic bedroom furniture, updated bathroom, and small kitchenette area with refrigerator, sink, and storage.
4. Freedom to decorate living space with personal items, photos, and additional furniture.
The worst parts about Sunrise Senior Living in Holbrook are:
1. The high cost of fees and rooms, which are private pay, although some financial options are available. Cost depends on the package, level of care and room selected. (Activities, meals, housekeeping, maintenance, insurance and property tax, lawn care and laundry service are included in all packages.)
2. Not having a model room to show prospective residents, as I visited resident rooms and felt a little intrusive.
3. Employees not easily identified. Although they did have small badges, the clothing they wore allowed them to blend easily with the well-dressed residents.
Out of five stars, I would rank the grounds, the common areas, the specialty areas such as the whirlpool room a five. I would rate the residents' rooms a four if the room is shared because I felt it was a little small for two people, but if you have the entire room as a private room, I would rate it a five. Since I had limited exposure to the staff and did not see a lot of interaction or conversation with the residents during my 45-minute visit, I would have to give this area a three. Likewise, I could not gauge the quality of care from firsthand experience during my visit, so I would have to give it a three, although both these areas may be above this level. As far as organized activities, there was a small group playing bingo, but not much else was going on while I was there. Some residents were sitting in the common areas; others were in their rooms. The menu was very inclusive with residents having several choices.
Overall, I would give Sunrise Senior Living in Holbrook four out of five stars. I would recommend anyone seeking these services to visit this facility. If you can afford it, it will be well worth your time.