Sunrise of Cary

1206 Chatham Street, Cary, NC, 27513

Reviews of Sunrise of Cary

Resident no longer December 17, 2015

It was a 4 star when we moved in. It turned into a 1 star with all new people. They are struggling with staff and the emergency button around residents' necks are just decoration. Building is beautiful but it is not a home.

Thank you for your review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email us at Information (At) SunriseSeniorLiving (Dot) com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Caring114118150 October 23, 2015

I liked Sunrise, though nothing really bowled me over. It was clean, and the rooms have a microwave and refrigerator but not much room for storage. The staff seemed very pleasant.

Caring111601250 August 21, 2015

Sunrise of Cary was the first one that I went to, so I didn't know anything. It was very clean -- and they were all basically the same when it came to that -- but the lady taking me around, I didn't get a warm feeling from her. I didn't see any of the residents smiling; they were just kind of there. There was an interaction with the lady that was taking me around with one of the residents, and the resident was probably having a bad day or I didn't know what was going on, but I just didn't like the way she talked to her, so that was it. I took them off the list right away. The rooms were nice and larger, and he could take his dog, but because of her, I wasn't going to go back. It could have been that she was just having a bad day, and it could be just that one thing, but like I said, they only got one shot. I didn't go back.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience and would like to learn more as we take all concerns seriously. Please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

ncguy June 18, 2015

We have seen this community go downhill ..there are chronic turnover problems - both with upper mgt and hands on caregivers. Gone are the days where the residents know the ED and the Coordinators (or even recognize their faces). The food is terrible, even though they've changed "chefs" - I've tasted it myself and I'm not that picky, but it's just plain bad. The activities are so dumbed down that its embarrassing. For the amt of money that we spend, it is shocking the activities budget is so pitiful...isn't keeping our loved one happy and involved a huge part of why they're there?? Their parties used to be so fun and so crowded with lots of family members. Now they are boring, no one attends (b/c their outreach efforts are very ineffective) and then they change the start time the day of the event and no one is notified! You used to walk in and just feel the positive energy, warm welcomes, engaged employees - now it seems everyone is in their office and residents are just sitting around - and that is one depressing picture. There is a new ED (been so many we've lost count) so we are HOPEFUL there will be change - but not banking on it :/

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Caring Community Member May 14, 2015

While Sunrise offers a beautiful, clean facility, the staff has turned over again and again since my family member moved in. Many employees are disgruntled and gossip about their complaints with residents, which distresses those who make Sunrise their home. The dining room fare is inconsistent, and the dining room is so crowded, residents require assistance squeezing into seats. Sunrise is currently looking for its third Executive Director in less than two years. My family is currently looking for a new facility for our loved one.

Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at Information (At) SunriseSeniorLiving (Dot) com so that we may follow up with you. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Anonymous105958650 April 30, 2015

Sunrise of Cary was a very nice clean place, and they were very friendly and helpful in showing us around.

Caring104619650 April 27, 2015

I really liked Sunrise. If it comes that I have to move from the independent to assisted living, Sunrise is probably where I would move my mother to. The staff was great. It is not quite as convenient from my house to there, but the facility itself was great. It was homier and had a nice, small feel to it.

Caring100332450 February 16, 2015

Sunrise of Cary was a nice facility, but it was not on the top of our list. They did not have very much in the way of grounds, and it was just off of a busy street.

D44 November 10, 2014

I visited mom at this place one morning and caught the staff arguing, very unprofessional cold atmosphere. I don't know how anyone can leave their love ones here. My mother orange juice look like cheap orange koolaid. Needless to say for the price they are asking I have moved my mother out of this facility.

We take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information@SunriseSeniorLiving.com . Thank you, Sunrise Team

Caring93841550 September 15, 2014

Sunrise of Cary was too expensive for what I wanted to pay; otherwise it was a very nice place. They have suites rather than rooms. The staff there was very cooperative. I like it, but I would have ended up paying $2000 more a month than I'm paying right now.

Caring91239650 August 27, 2014

My sister-in-law is in Sunrise. She has been there since last September. She has a room by herself with a bed in it, a nice bed, and a joint bathroom with somebody else. It is a new facility, very nice -- a very beautiful facility. It's 3 floors and they have a downstairs. She lives in a nice apartment upstairs on the second floor, and on the third floor, they have dementia and Alzheimer's people.

The staff is very nice people, very friendly, and very helpful. They have all kinds of things there. There's bingo. They come together, and some sit in chairs, some in wheelchairs, and then they show some movies. They have all kinds of entertainment there. I've seen my sister-in-law eating there, and they have pretty good food.

demondeacfan March 05, 2014

My mother lived at this facility from Dec 18, 2013 through February 14, 2013. During this time she suffered from two UTI's that were not diagnosed for at least 5 days, many days where her medication was not given because she refused, an incompetent doctor making house calls whose only solution was to continually increase medications to the point she ended in the hospital. I received no phone calls from the doctor to inform of medication changes, I did not receive a phone call from the facility until 5 days after she had not taken her medication. The situation escalated to the point my mother spent 10 days in psychiatric ward to cleanse her body of all the medications given to her. For a facility that claims to have an "elite alzheimer's unit" they were far from competent in being able to administer medication and to perform daily cleaning to prevent UTI infections. Fortunately she is no longer at the facility and is in a much safer place. I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

Thank you for your feedback and we're sorry that you did not have a positive experience with our community. Please feel free to contact us at Information@SunriseSeniorLiving.com to share additional details so that we may learn more. – The Sunrise Team

Tullie August 28, 2013

My visit at Sunrise of Cary was very good. All facilities under this company are basically the same looking. They have the staircases and everything when you come in. They do have activities and periodically they would even have little talks, music or whatever and residents can participate in them. However, when I went in this facility, a lot of their residents were just sitting in their chairs. Also at the time of my visit there, my sister was in DC, and I was telling a lady staff there about her. She said that they would have to have their sister company in that area evaluate what level of medical care my sister would need. Nevertheless, I would recommend Sunrise of Cary to others.

LeeAnn2 August 08, 2013

We have really enjoyed the staff and facilities at Sunrise. Roxanne - the Assisted Care coordinator - is very involved and works diligently to ensure the highest quality of care. Her team is superb.

caringchildren July 30, 2013

My parents lived there for 2 years and it was a traumatic experience for the entire family. What you see is a beautiful facility, but the management was terrible and the caretakers were untrained. There are many occasions to tell about, once when my mother's oxygen tube came unhooked from the machine in the middle of the night, she pulled the call bell and no one ever came. She had to crawl out of bed on her hands and knees to hook her oxygen back up. (2nd floor). Care in the memory care was even worse. There was no quality programing for the residents. Most of the time they sat around in the main room with one caretaker who would yell sit down every time a resident went to leave. My family visited every day trying to get the best help for my parents and it was still inadequate. The people that didn't have any one visiting was really sad. I watched people beg to be changed or go to the bathroom only to be told repeatedly that they would have to wait. We paid to have Sunrise administer medication, but on many occasions it was not given. We know this because we had to hire outside caregivers to come in and provide care.

We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents. We're sorry to hear about your concerns with the community. We would like to speak with you directly to learn more so please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com. – The Sunrise Team

pwallenstein May 21, 2013

My mom is a resident of Sunrise of Cary. Due to her alzheimers, she resides in the memory care unit, (3rd fl) I have been to many facilities, and none of them even come close to Sunrise. Being there almost every day I see exactly what goes on. The place is always clean and fresh smelling. The staff is so hard working, compassionate, and loving. But most of all, my family has peace of mind. My mom is always clean, well fed, and happy, Because of her disease, she can be difficult at times, but the staff knows just how to deal with her in the most compassionate way. There is absolutely no comparison to other facilities. On behalf of my entire family, Thank you so much.

disenstein March 29, 2013

Sunrise of Cary has been an excellent facility for my mother who has dementia. The facility feels like home. There is something always going on and it feels good when you walk in because you experience the sense of community. The staff has been exceptional in communicating with me on a regular basis. The staff is caring, passionate,and go out of their way to meet my mother's individual physical, mental, and emotional needs. They make sure that she is comfortable and place preserving her dignity and respect as a priority. As a social worker myself, I was looking for a facility for my mother where she could experience the best quality of life possible. Sunrise of Cary has been able to provide that for her.

CaryNana2 March 19, 2013

Sunrise of Cary is an excellent community. While they had some management changes in the past, they finally got it right. The leadership team is stellar and there is longevity in many of the leaders. The care team has been fantastic since their opening. I have witnessed the team go above and beyond for their residents in every way possible. This is truely the best senior living around!

Gdwg May 30, 2012

Sunrise is a nice place, but only in comparison to other facilities I have been to. The staff is friendly, and rooms are private. The facility is relatively new, but this is still an assisted living facility not a five star hotel. When you walk down the halls you can still smell urine just like every other facility I have been to. The food is not delicious but my grandparents don't seem to mind, they don't eat much anyway. The residents seem happy and are encouraged to participate in various activities such as a book club, exercise club, Wii bowling, and movie night. The cost of living there is very expensive with their costs for two people running well into the six figures, but I am not familiar with the pricing of other facilities. One annoyance is the locked doors after nine PM, but they are just trying to keep the residents safe which I can certainly appreciate. There is free popcorn in the lobby all day long, and for the most part any resident who can remember the exit code is free to come and go as they please.

ebe8528 April 17, 2012

The staff who work, like nursing assistants and their supervisors, are wonderful at this facility. However, management has been poor, and the Sunrise Corporation has run into financial problems over the last couple of years. They are charging customers extra charges for basic responsibilities of an assisted living facility, like performing services for incontinence, "medication administration," and even a utility surcharge fee. You may want to compare to other facilities in the area because I do not think that this facility is competitive. It is not a good value for the money.

From Sunrise of Cary

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can't help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you'll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Features of Sunrise of Cary