Wil the VA cover Mom's assisted living?

My mother needs to go to assisted living. Will the VA help pay for this even if she and my dad divorced many years ago and she remarried? She was married to my dad for around 16 years and he was in the service.

Marlene answered...

She will not qualify for VA benefits. Divorce ends it. Sadly, we are in the same situation, but my mom didn't remarry.

Bertac answered...

Anyone know info about va benifits? mom was married to a veteran.

Any info is appreciated!:)

Loriejm answered...

YES! However, I don't know if your father would have had to received money from the VA for a service connected disability. The VA will assign a percentage to the disability. For example, my father was 100% service connected and my mother is entitled to living assistance money. I am her primary caregiver and we did apply for and was approved for "Aid and Attendance". It is only a small amount compared to what the living assistance home would received, but it helps with her personal care needs, etc. I would encourage you to contact your local VA regional office and find out what that amount may be. I do want to caution you, that if your mother is eligible for "Aid & Attendance", please know that it may take time to start receiving the benefits. It does take time. I hope this helps you.