State that offers CNA or spousal pay program to assist in the care of a 60 year old legally blind with early onset dementia?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 18, 2016
Ruraluniverse asked...

My husband of over 25 years is blind with early onset dementia and requires round the clock care .We have 1 child under the age of 12 . I have been my husbands sole caregiver for almost 5 years . We have gone through our lifesavings the money from our business and lost our home. Ive stayed afloat barely by selling on ebay and craigslist but as his needs progress I am less able to manage working at home and caretaking .

We are in Florida where he only help at all i have recieved is a 120 month stipend for the disabled at risk of nursing home placement program. He turned 60 last month and now recieves nothing .I am told that though there are programs on paper they are not being funded so evn though he is on a 'waiting list ' he will NEVER get the service . I cannot even get a few hours of respite so I can work untill he turns 65 ! The only 'assist' I can get is to place him in a full time care facility . I am willing to move anywhere that will allow me to continue to care for my spouse fulltime myself or will provide him with a cna so that i can get outside employment . Please if anyone can share information and resources it would be most gratefully appreciated .

Expert Answers

Merrily Orsini, MSSW, was a pioneer in the business of providing geriatric care managed in-home care. She currently serves on the board of the National Association for Home Care and Hospice and is Chair of the Private Duty Homecare Association. She holds a master's degree in social work and is a nationally known writer and speaker on aging, elder issues, and in-home care.

Unfortunately there is no standard or uniform CNA or spousal pay program to assist in the care of a 60 year old legally blind with early onset dementia. Some counties in America do have more assistance than others, and there are some religious institutions that provide some assistance. However, the coverage is localized and not publicized.

Perhaps some readers would weigh in on local programs that could help? Or on associations or institutions that might be worth some outreach?