What kind of therapy can I do at home for my wife with a broken hip?

Howie asked...

my wife is 60 and his a broken hip she fell,ten days ago.She is coming home in three days.what can i do for her as far as home therapy. thank you

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

Physical therapy for a broken hip is very effective. But the plan must be laid out by a physcial therapist depending on the type of break and the kindof treatment. I would advise you to go to the hospital or rehab center as soon as possible to get the recommendations for your wife's ongoing therapy. Also, you should get instructions on how to do the excercises if she does not know how.

Often, the therapy at home for a broken hip is at the very least a regime of range of motion exercises.

Any thing that reduces mobility, may create a psychological problem. It is as if the rug has been pulled out from under her feet. It may lead to lack of confidence and fear of falling. Your wife may need extra support and assurance. Physical therapists often push a patient past what those of us who are untrained can do. Your wife may need that kind of confident prodding. When you are learning how to help, notice not only how to do the exercise,but also, the tone of voice and the type of confidence in the voice. It may seem pushy, but is probably what is needed.

You will be able to get referrals from the hospital. Also you can google physcial therapy centers or home health agencies in your location.

Onepony answered...

Good for you for agressively seeking answers! I am 59 and 6 weeks ago I broke my hip and had 3 pins put in it. I see on my hospital bill a charge of $350 for physical therapy, but I'm pretty sure i didn't get any as I was only in the hospital for 28 hours. At the 1 week check up with my surgeon, his advice on activity levels was "let pain be your guide" and at 6 weeks I asked about some therapy and he just said "you don't need therapy". I have to wonder if this is because I am a medi-cal patient? Previous to the accident I was walking 15 miles a week in hilly terrain and working 40+ hours a week in elder inhome care..(that's kinda funny huh?) Wishing all complete healing and rehabilitation help. This site is the best so far of many searched.

Elizabethreiki answered...

Try Reiki. It can help your wife be more comfortable on a physical & mental/emotional level. In turn that can aid her healing. It is something you can easily learn so that you can perform it on her. You will also use it on yourself as well. What a kind & thoughtful husband you are to want to help your wife in this way. My husband learned Reiki & it helped me tremendously after an accident. It not only helped with the pain, but it kept me calm. I learned it too & many years later I am now teaching this healing modality. Feel free to contact me if you would like to find a reputable teacher/practitioner in your area. www.nolareiki.com You can also view a short video on Reiki at www.ReikiinMedicine.org

All the best to you!

Cat mom 2 answered...

I didn't have broken hips, but I had arthritis so bad that they both had to be replaced 3 years ago when I was 58. My ortho surgeon is highly regarded and a pioneer of a hip surgery and he said phyiscal therapy isn't essential following this surgery. Walking is the best to strengthen the muscles. Foot pumps as you sit in a chair helps circulation and strength. Self therapy can be just as good as outpatient therapy. I had physical therapy for the entire course after the first hip replacement and none (due to insurance) after the second hip replacement. I had the same outcome for both. If anything the second hip is actually better. I used the back of a chair to hold on to and keep my balance and did squats, slight at first, and increased the depth and time for each as I got stronger. Also side and front and back leg lifts. Also standing on toes and heals. I laid on my back and did leg lifts & leg slides to the side as far as possible. It take the patient's desire and determination to get better. Doing nothing is a death sentence.