Can Mom forget how to walk?

Lvn asked...

My mother has recently started to "forget" how to walk. She is physically strong enough but will hover on her toes shifting her weight back and forth but is unable to move her feet forward. Any insight?

I worked as a health care aid and, in my experience, as the disease progresses, motor skills and co ordination are affected. Generally it was resolved by taking the individuals' arm and gently initiating a forward movement or by standing in front, holding both hands and stepping back slightly to encourage the patient to move a foot forward. Once the movement is initiated the brain appears to remember the physical movement.

One of seven answered...

My Mother did forget how to walk and we did have to put her in a wheelchair . Only after she was found laying on the floor and could not get herself up . We thought it better then her bracking any bones 'Then your looking at real trouble for you and most of all her . God love her

Mashkiki answered...

I'm trying to help families, who like ours, have tried to rule out everything. We've addressed vitamin D, urinary tract infections, water intake and had an MRI and review by her physician. Clinically, no one knows why her short-term memory has weakened, sleep is interrupted, lack of order and hallucinations. We have been working with a certified Brain Gym trainer. This program is most widely used on kids, but our trainer also works with seniors. After a week of our mom doing exercises in her own home and us doing the harder brain exercises with her, we are seeing some really incredible improvement. When she started, the simplest movements were really difficult for her, but after doing them, her coordination has improved. I can't explain it, but we are thanking God for this experience. We will pray that she continues to improve and regain control of her independence and self-confidence.

Here is their international site, but you would have to look for local practitioners and even see if they work with seniors, as this programs is primarily directed towards young people.http://braingym.org/