How can I help dad with the neuropathy in his feet?

2 answers | Last updated: Sep 30, 2016
Lhwalls asked...

My father has had two bone marrow transplants for Multiple Myeloma . The first BMT went well as he was able to harvest his own stem cells for a successful couple of years until he had to go through another in 12/04/09,unfortunately, Dr. Giralt had to leave MDAnderson and was assigned a new dr who we learned that he had no interest in my dads well being but only cared about the insurance payment instead of following protocol for the follow up treatment of my daddy. He put my father on velcade IV knowing that it didn't work therefore, causing the 2 transplant . I raised help and my father got a new doctor.

The issue know is that he is having side effects like the 1st time he was on velcade and immediately taken off. The side effect is neuropathy in his lower extremites (his feet ) he has cried over this pain. I researched neuropathy and read about. Some clinical trials at Methodist Hospital which a referral is needed . I am asking my family if any of you might have an answer to my daddy's horrible side effect! I pray and ask the Lord to give me his pain because I know I would endure it better than him. So to any angels out there any informationis welcomed including herbal supplements.

My first time writing to you!

Expert Answers

Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.

I am so sorry to hear that your father is having such a hard time. Neuropathy in feet (and sometimes hands) can be very painful. The medications that can help with this pain can be Amitriptyline or Nortriptyline (there are others in the same class of tricyclic antidepressents), Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica (pregabalin) There also are some experimental treatments out there like Calmare pain therapy treatment. This is a machine that a few places are experimenting with with some success. There is no sure evidence at this time that it works and so insurance is not likely to pay for it. Please talk with your father's doctor or a palliative medicine physician for help in treating this pain.

Community Answers

Elfie answered...

Sadly, I don't have much advice but since I have Stage 1 MM I know what awaits me. I've changed doctors a couple of times since the diagnosis just to find someone who cared. My first doctor who did the diagnosis treated me like I was on a production line with the first biopsy without anything to relieve me of the pain and that's what I thought it was always done. I left the hospital that day devasted, in pain, and alone. When my second annual came up i was already seeing my new doctor and dreading the procedure. He was puzzled and told me that he actually had a patient who went to sleep. He then proceeded to give me a couple of painless shots and I felt only pressure. I didn't know it could be done that way. But the one thing I felt about this doctor was that although he couldn't cure me he would care for me, and about me. There is no caring without proof of caring. It means everything to me to have found such a man.