Let mom visit her sister for the weekend, now they wont bring her back home. What now?

Ive been my mothers caregiver for the last seven months. She suffered a brain injury, so her twin sister as been a real evil person in soour family, so she asked if my mom could visit her for the weekend, they live two hours away.so I said yes, well now they wont bring her back and say shes the one who doesnt want to live with me anymore. What are my legal rights?

Sunshineinthenw answered...

It is too bad that family treats one another this way. It is not uncommon however. You may just have to drive up and get her, be sure to bring documentation showing her name and address, especially utility bills. If you have taken her to the doctor, a note from him/her stating that you have been the primary caregiver should help provide documentation. If you do nothing the twin will take over all finances and assets and don't plan on getting anything after everything is wiped out. You should contact an attorney to protect her assets and establish guardianship.

Kclyn92 answered...

If the sister will not allow you to take your mother, take your documentation showing you have been her primary caregiver to the local police or sheriff. They will accompany you to the sister's house to make sure your mother and her belongings are handed over to you without incident.

Mariakeil answered...

If you have Power-of-Attorney than you have the right to go and get your mom.

Stay Connected With Caring.com