Where can I get assistance for counseling for myself with out Medi-Cal?

3 answers | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016
Kim.elliott27 asked...

I am looking for guidance. I am having a serious caregiver meltdown. I am unemployed (in California), not on Medi-cal yet and don't know how to get assistance with counseling.

Community Answers

Ginnilee answered...

As a former caregiver, I can suggest going to your social worker- it's their job to help you out w/that kind of thing. Ask the local hospital if there are any support groups for you, ask a friend to take over for a few hours so you can have time to yourself. Your doctor's office, like mine, may have an advocate who does nothing but help you find resources. There's a lot of help out there, but finding it can be the hard part.

I was in a similar situation, and we didn't know my mother was a paranoid schizophrenic until she had one accident too many & landed in the hospital w/broken ribs. My brothers didn't understand & didn't care about how much stress Mom put on me because "it was my choice." Not a lot of choices out there if they're insisting on being independent but can't be, but they didn't want to hear about it, and I'm the only 1 out of 6 kids not married or have kids. After Mom ended up in the hospital, my brothers dropped me like a hot potato, and told me that they wouldn't lend me money to find a job or new place to live because they knew "I'd never pay them back." Major meltdown, and they called my online friends from various sf/fantasy groups "worthless internet freaks." You know what? It was those "worthless internet freaks" and my sister who listened to me when I was in panic mode, and who made sure I had money not only for groceries, but also so I could get to Boston for job & living situation hunting, not to mention that one of my friends gave me the money I needed for my first month's rent.

After Mom went in the hospital, I was constantly panicking because neither brother helped me decide what went out & what I could keep, and she was a hoarder. One friend took me to our mutual doctor's office, where my nurse practioner saw me w/out charge, and had to give me an Arivan because I couldn't stlop crying even after 3 hours had passed. Both Mom & I have Fibromyalgia, as well


Kim.elliott27 answered...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. You are certainly going through a hellacious experience. I apologize as I should have updated this post. Since doing it, I moved to Arizona and mom is now a permanent resident of a nursing home. So things are much better for me in that respect. However I know I still need counseling.

Ginnilee answered...

I'm glad to hear it- you needed the move & your mother is getting the care she needs w/out it all being on you. ;-D