I am 53 with no insurance. Where do I go for help?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

I lost my job and don't have health insurance. I am 53 years old and have a lot of medical issues.  Where do i go for help?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

If you were covered by your employer's group plan while you were working (and your employer has at least 20 employees,) you're entitled to continue your coverage under COBRA. However, you will need to pay the premiums. Since you didn’t mention it, I will assume that COBRA is not an option.

There are two Social Security programs that are targeted toward people who are disabled. One is Social Security Disability Insurance, the other is SSI, Supplemental Security Income. SSI is for low income people who have not worked enough to qualify for Disability Insurance. You should call or visit your local Social Security office to find out if you are eligible for either of these programs. People who qualify for SSI are entitled to Medicaid, which is also income based. If you qualify for Disability Insurance, you will become eligible for Medicare after being on disability for 24 months.

Depending on where you live, your state or local government may offer help for the uninsured. Contact your local social services office to find out what is available for you.