Where can I find a local neurologist?

1 answer | Last updated: Nov 12, 2016
Silky asked...

Dr. Castle thank you for responding to my email. Do you know of a neurologist I can go to? I am on amitripyline, gabapentin and nortripyline, 325mg aspirin, plavix, zocor neurotin, and a few more medications. I did have sinus surgery after my last stroke.

Expert Answers

James Castle, M.D. is a neurologist at NorthShore University HealthSystem (affiliated with The University of Chicago) and an expert on strokes.

I'm not sure exactly where you are located, so it is hard to know.  You could try asking around to various local primary care doctors if they know of a good Neurologist.  Typically, any nearby academic center should also have a stroke specialist, as well as several Neurologists.

With regards to the medicines, I would point out two issues: 1) I typically do not use a combination of aspirin and Plavix for long-term stroke prevention.  They can cause bleeding, and are not more effective than Plavix alone (MATCH trial compared these two treatment options).  2) It sounds like you are on the right therapy for the "phantom" limb pain, but perhaps the dosages are not high enough.  I would check with a Neurologist about that.  Also, consider duloxetine if the other medicines are not working.  Finally, amitriptyline and nortriptyline are very similar medicines - you should make sure your doctor wants you on both of these at the same time.  That is a bit of a peculiar combination.