Brookdale Yorktowne

1675 Dunlawton Avenue, Port Orange, FL, 32127

Reviews of Brookdale Yorktowne

Anonymous106324250 June 29, 2015

I visited Emeritus at Port Orange. They toured me around and invited me to lunch. I did not eat there, but they gave me packets of information. It was a very nice facility. They had studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and shared apartments.

bjk2015 June 18, 2015

My mother lived here for almost 2 years. The conditions were in a constant state of decline. The physical plant is run down and maintanance is not preformed. Housekeeping is so poor my wife and I had to clean my mothers room. Food service is low quality and little to choose from. Mother moved to a different facility where everything was better and the costs were less. Beware.

Caring94855050 May 07, 2015

I like the location of Brookdale Yorktowne, but it was more nursing home in appearance. The food was horrible. They knew my dad was a diabetic, and his food choice for the vegetable was corn, and then they gave him potato, which was not appropriate. The rooms were much smaller and much more institutional.

We apologize that your tour of Brookdale Yorktowne did not meet all of your expectations. Please be assured our staff is continuously committed to providing the highest-quality service and care for each resident and we will share your feedback with our management team.

Caring104859150 May 02, 2015

I visited Brookdale Yorktowne, and that's the one I was most impressed with. The staff were very pleasing, very knowledgeable, and caring people. They exemplified the care in what they do. It's very clean and homey, and the people were very attentive. It's modern, very pleasing, didn't smell, and the floors were clean.

John68999250 September 30, 2014

My mother has been living in Emeritus at Port Orange since last year. The place is well ran and managed. As far as activities are concerned, my mother enjoys having three meals a day. Mostly, she just enjoys sitting with the women there. They take the residents shopping once a week. They have a director that handles their activities. My mother was suffering from stress and anxiety. She was unable to cope with living on her own. Fortunately, she is now comfortable living in Emeritus. She is well taken care of by the staff. They found her circumstances and eventually give her what she needs. They have been very responsive. In fact, I can call and talk with them right away. They have been very gracious to my mother too. They have given her a job by running the local store that they have there. We have no complaints about this community. It couldn't be better.

SuziQ419 July 19, 2014

Emeritus is a beautiful place, and it's newer, so it's updated in all the furnishings. There's no smell to it, and it actually smells like a luxury resort. I was impressed that they were very clean. We viewed one of the apartments, and it had plenty of space. The people around seemed happy. There were people in wheelchairs, but there were also people who were active or could get around better. The prices were too expensive because they don't offer as much as others. They don't have grounds for residents to wander around, like on a nature trail. They have trips, and they have a bus to take the residents shopping, on errands, or to the doctor's.

Caring87209050 June 26, 2014

I was very pleased with Emeritus at Port Orange. It was lovely. The people were all well dressed and well spoken. The apartments were very spacious. It was sort of a combination of bedroom, living room, bathroom, and kitchen.

Caring80398150 April 22, 2014

The one thing that I liked about Emeritus at Port Orange is the staff that I talked with. They seemed caring and seemed to find a way that they could personally get to know the resident before they went to live there. It seemed like there were things to do, and I was pleased with that.

Caring79432650 March 29, 2014

Emeritus at Port Orange was good. It was an equally positive experience as at the other facility we visited. The personnel were very helpful. The rooms were good and adequate, but they weren't as updated as I would prefer. This community offered clubs, crafts, and things like that in-house, which were good. There seemed to be a high participation rate. They also would take residents to different places. Our one objection for this community was that it did not have the highest level of care that we desired or needed at that time. We were looking for an assisted living, but we would like to know that there were competent medical personnel, etc. on duty. No real complaints. It is just, I was looking for a little bit higher level of care, that's all.

Caring80281350 March 27, 2014

Emeritus was very welcoming, except for the lady who's behind the desk. The receptionist was a little grumpy. They could have somebody more friendly up front. But everybody else was really nice. It's a beautiful place. The rooms are wonderful. The dining room is really pretty and like a restaurant. I didn't taste the food, but the menu sounds really good. If you don't like something, they'll try to make you something else.

Greg12 February 26, 2014

Emeritus was nice but it was too big for my mother. The staff seemed fine but there are different people all the time so to establish a relationship with the residents, it’s just totally different. They showed me a lot. I met with the director there. They said they have outings and all sorts of stuff. They have a theatre with popcorn. The bedrooms, living room were enormous size. You have a huge lobby and a lot of people in wheelchairs. I didn’t feel good there and I would not feel good with my mother being there. She’s 90 years old, very active but she has major dementia. Emeritus would be fine but my mother needs interaction and Emeritus did not have the interaction as far as I’m concerned.

overit February 16, 2014

My mother has resided at Emeritus in Port Orange Fl. for 2 yrs. There was a reason she was placed there. ASSISTED living area. She displayed some short term memory loss, but she knows to get up dressed, where to go eat etc, no medical issues and not incontinent.The first year seemed ok, made friends, place appeared clean and spacious, food IS indeed fantastic, shes in a "friendship unit". However, the amenities they say they will provide lack greatly. The bathroom could use a good scrubbing, no need to see mold growing around the shower, their idea of repairing a smoke alarm after 1 month of complaining of it "hanging" is to just strap it up to the ceiling, NOT replace it. My moms room could stand a total cleaning, vacuuming and severe dusting. Widows could be cleaned. She has a great view if you could see out of the windows. Let's address the "assisted" part. As I am told my mom needs to be constantly "redirected" she refuses to shower, hasn't showered in ten days now yet I get a call not just from the nurse on duty but the aide (who in her message was a tad curt ) and she was the one that is suppose to ASSIST on a SUNDAY! Just last week I got called saying she gets her shower on Fridays and Mondays. I'm told my mom refuses to shower, disrespects the aide, cussed at her and wont change her clothes. I know the aide and she is not exactly warm and fuzzy towards any of the clients and have addressed this issue before. I know my mom can be difficult, down right mean sometimes, however they EXPECTED me to come in and deal with the situation. I explained, she didn't "smell" as they implied, her clothes were not soiled, as I had just been in to visit her. However, this was what THEY were getting paid for, to "assist". Mom can shower herself, you just need to coax her to get it done. This is THEIR job allegedly but many times I go in and observe the aides on the second floor or other areas just chatting away. Nothing wrong with that, just do your job. Understaffed is NOT my problem, I know this is a business and not much else, they have no feeling for the elderly one way or the other from what I have observed. My mom is not nursing home nor memory care material, she's old, stubborn and cantankerous. I have watched as the service has declined, but I can not afford to move her which is what I suspect they would like because she isn't always compliant. The staff is happy (a few of them are) and ever so friendly until you place your loved one there. Looks are deceiving. They talk the talk but don't deliver but they WILL raise the "rent" to accommodate THEIR needs but what about my moms? Would I recommend Emeritus where "their family is committed to yours"...I think its a no brainer.

Caring000.3 December 31, 2013

I went to Emeritus at Port Orange for a visit. The reception was excellent and I was thoroughly impressed with the tour. It was exceptional but very expensive.

kd1947 December 15, 2013

My mother was a resident here for almost 5 years. I was very happy with the place at first, and there were some wonderful people on staff. However, as time went by I began to see how understaffed they were and how often the staff changed. I know my mother was not the easiest person to get along with but it seemed that as long as she was willing to lie in bed all day in her nightgown they were happy to leave her that way. My mother has since moved to a new facility and she is a different person; happy, smiling, up and dressed every day and participating in activities. My biggest problem right now is getting Emeritus to release my mother's health records. It has been 4 months and I am still waiting. I have made phone calls to the health services director,and to the executive director and they have never returned my calls. How professional is that? I would not recommend this facility.

Kathy73339350 November 27, 2013

Mom is in Emeritus. I love it and she loves it. She has a nice large apartment. The staff is very friendly and everybody is super good. I have no complains. I am definitely recommending them to others. She already has a couple of her friends move there.

Linda73163250 November 22, 2013

I was impressed with Emeritus. Although I didn't like the lay out because they just had rooms, the staff seemed fine. I liked what I saw and how happy the people looked.

Mary Anne4 October 05, 2013

The rooms at Emeritus were more of a studio type apartment, which was nicely done. Everyone was very nice to me during my visit.

Alexa2 September 25, 2013

We had a tour of Emeritus at Port Orange and it was a very nice place. The facility is clean. It's close to places that she could go to with the bus like the grocery stores and also Walmart is just down the street.

Anonymous68971150 September 19, 2013

I went to Emeritus. It is really a nice facility. They're all very nice and clean. The staff is very cordial and very helpful. They took me on a nice tour. The rooms look beautiful. However, when I inquired, they have no availability at that time.

BJ5 July 30, 2013

My mom chose to stay at Emeritus. I liked that the facility was very clean and well-ran. The staff seemed nice, caring, friendly, genuine and responsive. When you asked for something, they did it right away. They had a lot of activities like movies, sing-alongs, trips, picnics, bingo, exercise class everyday and people came and performed. My mom seemed to like the food and the residents seemed happy. I would recommend this place to other people.

CaringL1 July 29, 2013

I plan to get my aunt moved here in Emeritus at Port Orange within the next six weeks to two months. I have been over there three to four times and it is a lovely set-up. It is going to be a much better fit for my aunt than where she is presently at in Rhode Island. She is currently in a memory care unit Rhode Island and she has no one to talk to there because other residents in that facility have advance stage of dementia or Alzheimer's. They have either forgotten the English language or just talking nonsense. My aunt has memory problem but she is not at that level. When my aunt and I went to Emeritus last week, they determined that she would qualify for their assisted living facility. Their community directory thought that ALF in Emeritus was a better environment for her. It is half the size than the one where she is at right now, so we don't think that she is going to be overwhelmed. It is also a very cozy facility. Also, she will be able to talk to people there. They also have many activities. They have a weekly bus tour where they take them to the library once a week or they have picnics or shopping trips. They also have art classes, dancing, live musical performances, pet therapy and also the usual word game type activities. Additionally, with Emeritus, I'll be paying $1100 a month less compared to where she is in right now.

Phyllis15 July 29, 2013

I had mom at Emeritus at Port Orange. We chose this facility because my daughter used to work in there and I'm familiar with the place. It is also near to my house and I can get there in a hurry. She is doing okay, but she does not like it. She tried to run away in the beginning. She called the police to come and get her. The place is very nice, pretty, and very clean. The staff is very nice. The food is delicious and she loves it, but she did not realize that if she wants more, she can ask for more. If she has accidents, she does not realize the people that are cleaning her and giving her showers. She thinks she is doing it herself. The room has a little kitchenette and it's a no-cooking facility. The closet is big. She has a very big dresser under the window. She got a pretty big bathroom and a very nice room. I do feel that she is safe in there. They could improve better if they could answer the phone in the middle of the night. It rings and rings and rings, but I have to get in touch with them. They only keep a concierge until 4:30 and I think they are understaffed. They have 20 residents to one med person and I think that a lot for one person to take care. I don't know how fast they come when my mother pulls the button. One thing I don't like about the facility is that I have a lot of problems with the med person giving out medications. They are young girls and they just put the medicine on her dresser and my mother does not have the capability of knowing to do that. But I finally got them to make sure they watch her swallow it, take the water and then leave. They are all young kids and they are just looking for their pay checks.

Warren 1 December 27, 2012

Emeritus is closer to where my brother and I live. It is very clean, almost like a motel type of setting. They're like an apartment and you can furnish it the way you want it. They let my mother keep her small pet cat. It's very nice that they accommodated that. There's beauty shop, laundry services, and they have a lot of activities every day for the residents. The staff is very good, especially, the RNs and the CNAs. But my mom says she's not happy with the food. I guess probably for her sake they could offer a variety of different foods.

Lacie1 May 09, 2012

At Emeritus Senior Living, they have a passion for service to seniors. Theyunderstand the importance of independence, choice, and dignity to quality of life. Respect for, by, and among all team members is executed. Honesty, integrity, responsiveness, and forthright communication is key at this facility. They have a desire to constantly achieve and improve their facility to the fullest of their potential. They also build a close respectable relationship with their seniors who live there.

igloo January 19, 2012

I looked at this facilety in early o9 for my parents. Looked and smell ok. After talking with residents, decided against it. Found much better place. Residents say gone downhill since new owners came in and cut corners. Staff spread to thin. Poor food. No longer 24 hour nursing. No more free phones. Poorly paid staff. Hi turnover. Some staff caring. Some not. Everything cost more. Over priced. Many residents have left in last 12 months.

From Brookdale Yorktowne

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9792