Kirkwood Orange

1525 East Taft Avenue, Orange, CA, 92865

Reviews of Kirkwood Orange

July 03, 2016

By Dyanne142184

The woman who talked to me at Kirkwood Orange was very nice. It’s a nice place, but we found it too pricey.
Thank you so much for your recent visit to Kirkwood Orange. We do try to keep our prices competitive and we wish you the best of luck in finding a community.

July 01, 2016

By Chris262844

Kirkwood Orange was very nice. I did not see many of the activities or the amenities, but the rooms were very nice. It was in a very nice location and easy to go to. The staff was extremely nice. I did not see anything that I did not like. Had another place hadn’t been an option, I would have loved to have my grandfather at Kirkwood. They were very nice.
Thank you for your review of Kirkwood Orange. The Kirkwood Team appreciates your feedback, and we are here to be a resource for you at any time.

July 01, 2016

By Bonnie265401

We like Kirkwood Orange. They have music and other activities to get Mom to move a little bit, like doing exercises in a chair. I was very impressed with the rooms. The one Mom is in has two closets. They made me feel very at ease that they will work with my mom and help her.
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. The Kirkwood Team is pleased to hear that your mom is getting settled in and enjoying all Kirkwood has to offer.

September 30, 2015

By Joyce113368650

Kirkwood Orange was wonderful, small and intimate. Everybody was happy. We sat there when they were finishing dinner. The residents had their wheelchairs and their walkers. The staff walked them to their room and they seemed very involved so I thought that was very good. My mother absolutely loved it. The only thing is if mom had a problem, they would call 911 and she would go to the hospital. If she needed too much help, she would have to find another place.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your thoughts after visiting Kirkwood Orange. It is no surprise that you saw the positive interaction between our residents and staff - our Resident Assistants are not only well-trained professionals, they also serve from their hearts. Should you have further questions about our services or need clarification on the level of care we provide, please contact us.

July 21, 2015

I visited Kirkwood Orange. I was pleased and quite impressed with it. I was impressed with the staff. I was impressed with the people interacting with each other. The place was beautiful, and it looked quite comfortable. The staff seemed knowledgeable, and they seemed to have every level of care I could ever wanted. It was smaller than most facilities, which was what I was looking for. I do not want a big old hospital place. One thing that really impressed me was that I could visit anytime of the day or night. At night, the outer door was locked, but you could ring the bell, and somebody would open it for you. You also had the password to the rooms and things so that you could come and visit your loved ones anytime. You could have meals with them if you wanted to, and that impressed me.

Thank you for your review. At Kirkwood Orange, we take pride in the positive experience guests have when visiting our community. As with most assisted living and memory care communities, we provide quality care, a long-tenured staff, and all the typical amenities. What sets Kirkwood Orange apart is the small, home-like feel as well as the expertise of our team members when caring for our residents with cognitive impairment, Alzheimer's disease, and dementia.

June 22, 2015

Everything seemed satisfactory at Kirkwood Orange. We did not discuss cost because it will depend on what my mother's needs are. We just went to look at the place and to see how far it was away from our home. The place looked clean. It appeared to have enough staff.

Thank you so much for posting a review. Please let us know if there are any other questions you may have or anything we can do to further assist you in your search for assisted living.

March 27, 2015

By Amy40

There is one called Kirkwood in Orange, and the thing that turned me off there was the lack of physical space. They seemed very nice and caring, but their physical space -- in terms of the rooms -- was more run-down and not as clean or things like that. And then, they were very pushy with bringing dad to their social events -- the lady that I worked with over there. They were very nice and everything else, but it was always, "Bring dad to happy hour," and I was like, "I don't want to bring dad to happy hour." But that was just the constant push, and they were, "Oh, you need to come. That is the best time to have him come in and interact." He doesn't drink, that is not his comfort zone, and he is not highly social because of the dementia. He is social, but going into a new setting with a lot of people as the first introduction doesn't seem to b what I wanted to do with him. But, again, they were very limited in terms of backyard outside space, and he is very outdoorsy, so that was a turn-off for there.

Dear Amy40, Thank you for your review of Kirkwood Orange. Your feedback helps us to improve the quality of care and service we provide to our residents and their loved ones who visit. In fact, we are now completing a renovation project that will improve nearly half of our resident common areas. While our country cottage model with its quaint design and home-like décor isn’t to everyone’s taste, our residents enjoy the non-institutional feel of it. Our shaded backyard patio was designed to accommodate the outdoor lounging, barbecues and other activities that residents and families had requested. We also do several staff-accompanied walks every week into the surrounding neighborhood to encourage staying active and engaged in the greater community. I apologize for the negative experience that you had with our representative. We pride ourselves on having a very robust activity program, with three full-time activity team members, supported by our care team, offering a myriad of activities for our residents. Our Saturday afternoon happy hour featuring live entertainment is a 15-year tradition for our residents, run by the same volunteers who started it shortly after Kirkwood Orange opened. I am the first to admit that we can be a little overzealous in promoting it but I assure you it is with the best intentions because we know how much our residents love it. Serving our residents is our highest priority and we genuinely hope you find the right community for your father. Even though Kirkwood Orange may not be that fit, we have come to know our neighboring communities quite well and would be happy to assist with some recommendations.

January 21, 2015

By Dorothy104786250

Food is good. Kirkwood is very clean and maintained well. Caregivers are good but clearly they need more help. Follow through of care is not adequate.

December 28, 2014

By Art12

My father gets excellent care.

October 26, 2014

By Mona4

Kirkwood Orange was very nice. The staff was very nice; they have answered a lot of questions, were very helpful, and that’s what caused me to chose them. It was probably the most expensive one -- but the nicest one -- and that’s why I chose it because I thought she would get good care there. Mom has a one bedroom, separate living room, a bathroom area, and you can do whatever you want. You can paint and you can hang draperies, so that’s nice as well. The food was very good. They have church, bible studies, games, outings, ice cream parlo, a well-rounded schedule of activities.

August 14, 2014

By Susie11

Kirkwood was for my mom. It's smaller, and it's very close to where I live. It is like 3 miles away, and I can be there in basically 8 minutes. The proximity was very important to me, but the size of Kirkwood is also a plus because it is on the smaller side. The staff is wonderful and they provide the different levels of care, plus they really keep my mom engaged. I have eaten there and the food is good. It's not within walking distance, but there is some discount shopping and a grocery store nearby. My mom's room is a 1-bedroom that has a nice little living room with a bedroom, a nice bathroom, a big shower that you don't have to step into with a seat that you can put down, and then she has a little kitchen area that has a refrigerator, a microwave, and a sink.

July 19, 2014

By Tom83180450

Kirkwood was a nice facility. It was very clean. It was more of a Victorian style. I liked the homeyness and warmth of the facility. They had a nice dining area, which was like a restaurant style, and even the rooms were very nice. The staff was very good. The people were very friendly. They had an outside area where you could walk around. They had a little barbeque area. When you walked down the hall, it was almost like a living area. They also had a lounge area. It was very cozy and comfortable. They had a lot to offer.However, I thought the price was more expensive than all of the ones we had looked at, because it seemed like some of things that were part of the regular costs in the other places, were extra cost in there. If my family could afford it, I would definitely send my uncle there.

October 28, 2013

By Phyllis17

Kirkwood Orange was beautiful; however, they were expensive. They have very nice rooms and very nice houses. I found them from a senior online directory. Their staff was very nice. They have mostly indoor activities because this facility was more for assisted living people who are able to do a lot of things on their own. What I like best about this facility as a whole was that it was a small facility, so it was more personal, and it was a really nice,homey place.

May 25, 2013

By strottnerj

My mother has been a resident at Kirkwood Orange for six years. The facility is very well maintained and clean. The staff is very caring and is sincerely concerned with the well being and happiness of the residents. They go over and beyond what is expected. We do not worry knowing that my mother is being cared for at Kirkwood.

March 19, 2012

By commercesd

Kirkwood Assisted Living Residence was located in Orange, where we happened to be. Since we'd been looking for a place for my friend, we stopped in to take a look. The backyard had lovely pathways and a central fountain which looked very tranquil. The overall design was reminiscent of a colonial home, only a bit updated with more fresh air and light. The living suites were all a nice size and did not seem cramped. They were also beautifully decorated. Each unit had individually controlled temperatures. The kitchens all had ample counter space and appliances. The dining areas have many options. From more intimate to communal dining, resident can choose whatever they like. The food choices looked nutritious and delicious, as well as the regular snacks - offered continually. The communal areas all had interesting activities occurring, from reading to games and resident interactions. It was clear that the residents enjoy living here. We thought this was a lovely facility with caring and attentive staff. All of the resident's needs appear to be met easily and efficiently, in a friendly and caring manner.

Photos of Kirkwood Orange

Services & Amenities of Kirkwood Orange

• Minimum Memory Cost: $3650/month

• Companion Suites: We Do Offer Companion Suites.
  • Housing Extra: Private Rooms In Assisted Living; Private And Shared Rooms In Memory Care

• Pets: Small Pets Allowed.

About Kirkwood Orange

Kirkwood Orange is a small, close-knit community of seniors who need some level of care. To meet a variety of needs, Kirkwood Orange offers assisted living and memory care specifically for either early or mid- to late-stage dementia.

Assisted living is a long-term care setting in which residents receive housing, caregiver support and health care services on a daily basis, as needed. This living arrangement maximizes resident dignity, privacy and autonomy, much like independent living settings, and is designed for those who need some assistance with activities of daily living, but do not require 24-hour skilled nursing care.

Amenities offered in assisted living typically include 24-hour security, accessible campuses, community dining, housekeeping services, transportation, exercise and wellness programs, coordinated activities and social events. Care services include staff well-being checks, medication management, therapeutic services such as physical therapy, and assistance with eating, bathing, dressing and other activities of daily living.

Until Kirkwood Orange, a Cadence senior living community in Orange, California, opened Chapman House in July 2015, there wasn’t an option in Southern California for people in-between. Today, Chapman House fulfills that need.

This population, with early signs of memory impairment and a dementia or Alzheimer’s diagnosis, is still typically high-functioning in terms of daily living. They are usually able to dress themselves, perhaps with some prompting, and perform basic grooming tasks. Chapman House’s new memory care focus allows these residents to age with dignity, limiting the need for them to move to a different community when their memory impairment progresses.

Meanwhile, residents at Gardner House, also part of the Kirkwood Orange community, live with advanced cognitive impairment.

Features:

• Chefs who prepare homemade soups, salads and entrees three times a day every day of the week, tailored to residents’ dietary needs and preferences
  • Close to shopping and dining at The Plaza and the Olde Towne Orange Historic District
  • Driving distance to Disneyland, Angel Stadium and the Orange County Performing Arts Center
  • Pets allowed
  • 24-hour security and emergency call systems
  • Complimentary laundry service
  • Full-service beauty parlor and barber shop
  • Charming old-fashioned ice cream shop, ideal for entertaining grandkids (and for a refreshing treat)

We are close to shopping and dining at The Plaza and the Olde Towne Orange Historic District. Within driving distance to Disneyland, Angel Stadium and the Orange County Performing Arts Center.

Map of Kirkwood Orange