Willow Wood

2855 West Commercial Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33309

Reviews of Willow Wood

Caring114302650 October 21, 2015

Willow Wood was beautiful. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the fact that their bedroom had very little wall space and you have to put the bed by a window. It was one of the best but I just didn’t like that one thing. Every room had a patio and every apartment had a porch or a patio or balcony. It was very nice. The place was immaculate. They had a private dining room in case you got company and wanted entertained. They seemed to have a very active social calendar.

JohnGS September 08, 2015

My mother has been there for three years now. She moved there from Turnberry. At first I thought it would be a difficult transition but the experience for both her and me has been wonderful. She has a great social life and the people are great and caring. Phyllis is a super director. The one bedroom units are quite nice. I feel confident and she really likes it. While it is traumatic for anyone to give up some of their independence, i find that at Willow Wood, people are able to do as much as they physically can. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Good luck

Caring110023150 July 04, 2015

Willow Wood seemed OK, but it didn't seem nearly as bright as the other facility. The rooms were good. Actually I wasn't too crazy about this facility, but the facility seemed nice, and it was very clean.

Karen107488750 June 15, 2015

The marketing staffs at Willow Wood were extremely helpful. They were very accommodating. They saw me more than once, answered all my questions, and took my phone calls. They are an excellent marketing staff. The reason that I like the facility is that it does not feel institutional. It was not built as an institution but rather as an apartment complex. It feels like a home and not an institution. They have an accessible size one and two bedroom units with full kitchen, balconies, and patios. They seemed to be very well maintained. The facilities were clean, and the doors that were supposed to be locked were locked. The grounds are very well maintained as well. It is a beautiful setting. The dining area feels like a lovely restaurant, the serving staff is polite and accommodating, and the food was yummy. Everyone appeared friendly and competent. I have confidence in the people that I have met.

Marla8 June 15, 2015

We are waiting for an apartment to be available at Willow Wood for my father. The staff was terrific. They were very helpful. I liked the size of the apartments. It was also a very large community, so there was a lot more to do. There was always something going on. The apartments were large, clean, and well maintained. They had a swimming pool, and they had water aerobics. I had lunch there, and it was delicious. They had independent living, assisted living, and memory care. It was exactly what I was looking for. I think it was excellent.

Sharon107658350 June 06, 2015

I just did a tour at Willow Wood so I can't really give detailed information. It is very similar to the one my mom is at, but they just have a little more in the way of activities. It was a little fancier, and they have more activities. They have a swimming pool and some extra things that the other facility doesn't have. The staff was really nice. Their dining facility is really nice too.

Tony23 May 02, 2015

I was very happy with the tour. I visited the rooms and the dining rooms, and I was impressed. The rooms were adequate. I would recommend Willow Wood.

Caring103005450 April 27, 2015

The staff working at Willow Wood is wonderful. They are all incredibly positive, gracious, and helpful. They are really wonderful. They have lovely apartments that you can turn into your own home. They are well maintained and big, and it has full kitchen and baths. I think my father likes the food a lot, and he is happy there. They change the menu often, and the people who serve them are very nice. They also accommodate things that you might want off the menu. It is all wonderful. They have lots of activities, and the safety and security is good as well. They have entertainment, bingo, poker, movies, and discussion groups. It is not like being in a five star hotel, but it is pleasant, and it is right for him.

Caring104553550 April 25, 2015

I went to look at Willow Wood because it is under the Brookdale group. It was a little disappointing although the sales person was very upfront with me and said that they have just taken over this property from Emeritus, that they needed to upgrade, and that it was not at the quality of the other Broodales around the country. Willow Wood was a bit rundown. The staff seemed nice and pleasant. The rooms were clean. They were redoing them if people moved out. However, they were just not refurbishing them at the same level as the other property that I had looked at. They were a little scaled down from the other facilities. Regarding their dining room, they had a little smell to it. They have the same activities -- e.g., they have bridge and they're going to the theaters.

We apologize that your tour of Willow Wood did not meet all of your expectations. Please be assured our staff is continuously committed to providing the highest-quality service and care for each resident and we will share your feedback with our management team.

Diane105426150 April 21, 2015

Willow Wood was very pleasant. It was a light kind of place. It had nice grounds and nice facilities. The apartments were nicely laid out and pretty good in size. They seemed to have a pretty full calendar of activities, and they had daily activities. They also had the option of having the residents go out on shopping trips. I was impressed that the residents seemed to be actively engaged in something and that the staff called each other by name. It had a positive kind of feeling.

Caring101984850 March 20, 2015

I am going in to Willow Wood, and I like that. I like the people, the food, and the activities. The room is all I need. It’s clean and convenient. They’ve got bingo, Wii bowling, therapy, exercise classes, and knitting classes. I would recommend it.

Carolyn103118250 March 17, 2015

Willow Wood is just a very good place to live. The staff is the best, and the activity director is the very best.

Dina4 January 24, 2015

It was not the area that we were choosing, but it was very important to us that my mom is in assisted living that she could sit with people in the independent living; she wanted to be able to be with the independents, and at Willow Wood people were everywhere together. It was more run-down; it wasn't as nice or as wealthy as the other places, but they encouraged the assisted living to mix with the independent living, and that was the biggest thing for us. It wasn't that it was beautiful, but for us, that is what it is about. My mom didn't want to be not allowed to socialize with the independent living. She wanted to be able to have her meals with them, so she didn’t want to be ostracized, and the other places wouldn't let her mingle with them or eat with them. The apartments were not drop dead gorgeous, but they were perfect. Their layout was perfect. They had storage inside, they had their own washers and dryers, and they had independent kitchens. The staff was very warm, friendly, and inviting. The dining room was great, everybody was very friendly, and the service was very quick, personalized, and friendly. The grounds were well-kept and maintained.

Sherry43 December 22, 2014

We placed my father at Willow Wood. We like the fact that it is clean. The dining room is beautiful. They have lots of activities every day, like exercise classes and movies. They also have veterans group that meet once or twice a month, they have parties once a month to welcome the new people that are coming in, and there is happy hour every Friday. They also do food group for the month, so it might be Greek month, and some of the food items are Greek, movies and informational talks about battle in Greece. They also take them on outings occasionally, restaurant trips, arts and crafts, and they have shows twice a week where they bring in outside entertainers. It was very nice.

Caring99247450 December 18, 2014

Willow Wood was the best value. She got a 1000 sq.ft 2-bedroom and two bath apartment for the place. We needed to update the room, and we put about $7000 to update the room, but it was still worth it. The waiting room and the dining room were very pleasant and very clean.

The food is OK; it’s not great, but it’s OK. There are lot of choices. The staff that worked there are wonderful, and the grounds are very well-kept. It’s sprawling acreage. We looked at two other places, and nothing compared for the value. They have lots of activities, they have movies, they have discussion groups, games, and they have exercise. My mother has Alzheimer’s; she is not taking part of too much but she is taking part of some. It’s in a nice quiet neighborhood. The commercial boulevard is a commercial street, but the place itself is setback, so it’s quiet.

The food is good, but it could be better. The staff for the most part is wonderful. They are very caring, very supportive, and are on a first name basis. I definitely would recommend the facility.

And what’s good about them is that they have a senior gerontologist who comes once a week; he is a really good doctor. They have physical therapy and occupational therapy so a person doesn’t have to leave, and they could have all the care down there which I think is really fabulous for a lot of people.

Caring97105850 November 22, 2014

Willow Wood is the one we’re strongest on considering. It has the advantage of having a large acreage piece of property, and having my wife there, I want to be able to get out and move around. The grounds are very nice with a walking path and pool. It’s on the site of what was a country club, and the apartments are very nice considering a 1-bedroom. I was escorted by a single person, but that was a very complete, in-depth tour. They have in-house therapy and a very nice arrangement. Of all the ones I’ve seen so far, I’d put Willow Wood higher than the rest of them.

Caring101148650 November 01, 2014

I thought Willow Wood was very well run. However, my father thought it might be a little too big for him. Nevertheless, I thought the restaurant was very nice. The people were very nice and the accommodations were fine. I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was just a little farther away than some of the other places; however, it seemed very, very nice.

Jim76297750 September 13, 2014

Willow Wood wasn’t bad as far as the looks and the condition of it. The rooms that I saw looked okay. If dad would go somewhere, this place would be okay.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and to share your feedback!

Joseph28 August 26, 2014

If I cannot go to the other long-term care facility of my choice, I will go to Willow Wood. It’s good, too. They showed me the room; it’s not too bad. It’s clean. I saw people playing. They look very happy. It’s a nice place.

Caring82220350 April 24, 2014

Mom is at Willow Wood, and so far it is nice. We chose this mainly because of its location; it's close to my sister. The staff were very friendly and patient. The food was excellent.

Wayne3 February 28, 2014

I've visited a few facilities and one of them is Willow Wood. I have only spoken to one staff and he was very cordial. I enjoyed speaking with him and I saw that he has developed a very good rapport to the residents. He knew all the residents by name. He took me on the tour and he showed me the whole property and I actually like the property myself. I like it because I can see that it was well maintained and very well-run community. I was very impressed with the ground outside. The apartment he showed me was very nice. It's also conveniently located for me if my mom were to go there. It's just a 10 to 15 minute drive from where I live. I was also able to see the different rooms where the different activities take place and the staff who took me on the tour pretty much described what they did there and I was impressed with the activity level also. The dining room is a nice room. I took my mom and my wife there and for some reason they weren’t overwhelmed with it.

Caring84398350 January 30, 2014

I spent a couple of months at Willow Wood. It's a nice place but the food wasn't so good. The people I made friends with over there, we went out to eat, lunch out all the time.

I was living there under independent living. It's like you're living in a hotel. You go there, get down to eat and that's it. They get you all washed if you want. I paid for my wash and I paid for somebody bathing my wife, that was additional. I had a beautiful room, the entertainment was good.

I have a daughter living on East Commercial so it's only about 15 to 20 minutes away from her. It's accessible, it's on Commercial Boulevard. Commercial is very familiar in Florida. It's right off the turnpike, it's very good parking. The location was perfect for me over there but with all that, they're doing a good business because there was a waiting list. To me, it looked like it was time to remodel the place or replace the furniture because when you walk in, you walk in to the main waiting area where everybody sits down after they have their lunch or dinner and they congregate. That could have been redone to make it a little more attractive.

Caring68115850 January 24, 2014

I toured five different places and I ended up choosing Willow Wood for my mom. We like it basically. There are some things that we don't like about it that aren't a big deal, but when you add up a lot of little deals, they become bigger. They are not that responsive to our maintenance needs especially in the beginning. Overall maintenance is good. The people who clean the apartments are really good and they're very sweet and nice. The whole staff is very, very nice. The food and the grounds are good. They do have transportation available, but it's not always convenient and it's ridiculously expensive.

Caring74469050 November 27, 2013

I visited Willow Wood because my mother used to live there. Also I had been there many times for many different things. The facility was nice and pretty because there is a lake around it. Its surroundings were very nice. The environment and their rooms were very nice as well. It was a nicely appointed place overall. They also seemed to have friendly people there. However, it was another big facility and I don't think my husband would be comfortable in large facilities like that.

Michelle37 October 26, 2013

Mom was at Willow Wood before she died and I had no complains about the facility. It was great. Mom fell in love with the place and so am I. She had a nice apartment which is big enough for her. The staff are very nice and accommodating. Their dining room is fantastic and the food is excellent. I think Willow Wood is the best and I would highly recommend this facility.

Caring71141150 October 09, 2013

The apartments are big here at Willow Wood. We can have our dog, too. The other ones that we looked at were very unappealing. This one's got big grounds to walk in. The staff is wonderful. We treat them really good and we get nice treatment in return. The food is good, too.

Linda67528250 August 28, 2013

I visited Willow Wood three times with my mother because that's the one I wanted for her. That one runs like a cruise ship. It is a wonderful place. Residents there are higher functioning and very active. Everybody that we talked to there has retired from something. My mom's commented that the place was too big and the people were too snooty, but they weren't. She just felt out of place. Their marketing director was so nice to us. The food was great. They have activities every hour. No matter what time of the day there, you can look at the bulletin board and there's always something that you can do to socialize. Their busses take the residents to plays, casinos, museums, etc.

Caring71213 July 24, 2013

Willow Wood was my second choice for my parents. When you walk in the front door it opens up pretty big and there's a sitting area with couch and chairs for people to have conversation and right behind that is the dining rooms which looks very inviting. Through the dining room you're looking out a lot of big windows and you have a big piece of property around the back with paved walkways and a lake. It was pretty inviting walking through the front door. The apartments are pretty dingy, small and outdated though.

Loving Daughter5 June 30, 2013

Willow Wood was fine, clean and the surroundings were elegant. The rooms were nice. The people there were very pleasant but it was too far for us.

Kathy39 June 29, 2013

Willow Wood was nice but it was way too far away.

Caring258 June 25, 2013

Willow Wood was a fine facility and it was clean. It was a small place and they have activities for the residents.

caring5032 March 28, 2013

My mother really liked Willow Wood. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. The rooms were large, spacious, and extremely well-kept. The whole facility was very clean. There were lots of group activities. The dining room was like a 5 star hotel. Of all the places that we've seen, it was by far the best.

My mother really liked that they provided transportation for her to visit her sister at a nursing home down about a mile away. They were just accommodating. The facility itself was not far from where my mother lives so she's familiar with the area. The price of accommodations was also reasonable.

The Lt.Col.'s Daughter from Birch Bay December 10, 2012

My Dad was living in Willow Wood's secure Dementia wing and his life drastically changed on 3/22/2010. The CNA in charge of my Dad and another resident,chose to move my Dad from the dining room table to a "bench/couch" to sit and wait and she turned her back to him to resume feeding the other resident..My Dad ended up face down on the floor and spent a week on life support. He survived and spent his last 2 years in a wheelchair and on a feeding tube. The Willow Wood Administrator "implied " by her answers to the Adult Protective Services Investigator that my Dad was responsible for leaving the table and so the staff was not at fault. The Nurse on duty spoke to me that night and told me exactly what happened. I waited a year to see the Adult Protective Services report. The nurse said there was "no blood" but my Dad required stitches over his eye. My Dad never got to enjoy aother meal and the trauma to his brain changed his life.I spoke to their corporate office VP and told her what actually happened. I never heard from anyone after that. I don't trust anyone who would implicate a resident for a staff member's negligent actions.I trusted my Dad to Willow Wood and the Admisistrator even stated in the report that she was surprised my Dad lived alone. She was the one who rented it to us! My Dad was treated with respect by the wonderful activities leader and a sweet CNA who got my Dad dancing everytime they had music.My Dad always enjoyed tapping his foot to the music and singing along with familiar old songs..not after that night!

BevDivision June 22, 2011

During my time when I was in search of a good facility for my aunt, I found a few good ones, a few bad ones and the ones in between. This place is the one in between. Nothing about this place really fascinated me. The people were nice, but I'm not sure if they were being genuine. I received a tour from one of the facility's staff members. She gave me a tour of the entire place, showing me the rooms, kitchen, common areas and the backyard area. She didn't seem very enthusiastic. The place looked like it needed a bit of work, but it wasn't too bad. I would like to get more information about this place.

From Willow Wood

Willow Wood provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Brookdale Living's Ft. Lauderdale, FL community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional independent and assisted living services, amenities, and opportunities we offer. And, the residents at Willow Wood can rest assured that as their needs change, we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of the residents of this independent and assisted living community, their families, and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features, and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life®, the mission of Willow Wood is to encourage our independent and assisted living residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar at Brookdale Living's Ft. Lauderdale, FL community with themed experiences, special events, and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Features of Willow Wood

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Pool
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi

• Private services

• Minimum age: 62

• Licenses: Standard Assisted Living

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Willow Wood