2 Assisted Living Facilities in Buckhannon, WV
Also serving communities of Elkins.
Victoria Manor22 ELIZABETH STREET, Buckhannon, WV
Serenity Care HomeRR 6 Box 750, Buckhannon, WV
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Buckhannon area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 3 reviews of assisted living communities in the Buckhannon area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 2 assisted living communities in the Buckhannon area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Buckhannon West
The Buckhannon area is the only city in the Upshur County, West Virginia area and is located alongside the Buckhannon River. Seniors can visit the historical attractions here and relax riverside with peers from their local assisted living community. There are two in Buckhannon and two nearby, all regulated by the Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR), Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification (OHFLAC). The OHFLAC licenses each facility as an assisted living residence (ALR) or residential care community, where, in the latter, seniors must be able to evacuate themselves.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Buckhannon West
- While residents of Buckhannon often experience an overall lower cost of living when compared to other neighborhoods in the nation, seniors on a limited-income may still find it difficult to manage here. When compared to the national average of 100, most expenses rank as more costly, including health care, 114, groceries, 102.6, transportation,106 and goods and services, 105.
- Seniors who are living in Buckhannon experience mild summer that average temperatures between 53 to 82 degrees. With a humidity level of only 55 percent during the hottest month, July, seniors can participate in more outdoor activities. Alternatively, seniors face relatively cool winters that average 24 to 48 degrees.
- Locals who have respiratory problems breathe easier in Buckhannon, with has an average air quality index rating of 34. This is 31 percent better than the 50-point national average and almost 300 percent better than the 126-point state average.
- Seniors are only considered 10 percent safer in Buckhannon when compared to the rest of the nation. While the town has a 124 percent lower violent crime rate, it has both higher property crimes and crimes per square mile that makes it unsafe at times.
- The Buckhannon area is home to world-class medical facilities for seniors, including Joseph's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Buckhannon has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Upshur County Senior Center, an organization that helps promote an active, fit lifestyle by providing seniors with programs and activities.
Paying for Assisted Living in Buckhannon West
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in West Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Buckhannon start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Buckhannon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Buckhannon West
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Buckhannon West
Buckhannon West and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Buckhannon West
Buckhannon West-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in West Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page for more information about these laws.