2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edgerton, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Edgerton, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Edgerton
Edgerton is a small city nestled in the southwest corner of Minnesota. It has a little less than 1,200 residents, over 350 of whom are aged 65 and over. Retirees who enjoy community activities won't want to miss the city's two annual festivals, known as the Dutch Festival and the Rock River Pumpkin Festival.
For seniors who are unable to live at home alone, the city has one assisted living facility. In Edgerton and in all of Minnesota, these facilities are officially called housing with services establishments and are required to register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Edgerton
- Retirees in Edgerton pay state income tax on all retirement income, including Social Security benefits. This may affect how much money can be budgeted toward local assisted living expenses.
- The Edgerton area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Pipestone.
Edgerton’s air quality is exceptional, ranking 91 out of 100 versus the national average of 58. Because clean air is associated with a lower risk of certain conditions like cancer and respiratory illness, the city’s air quality may make it a good option for assisted living.
- Edgerton’s overall cost of living is about 20% below the national average and 25% below the statewide average, which may free up more money in the budget for local assisted living expenses. The costs of housing and transportation are both about 35% below the national median, and healthcare is about 15% cheaper here than elsewhere in the country.
- Seniors who are seeking out a safe community for retirement may find Edgerton to be well-suited to their needs. The city’s violent crime rate is about 15 points lower than the national average at 7.7, and the property crime rate is half the national average at 17.
- Summer highs in Edgerton are around 83 degrees, giving active seniors the opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities. Winters are very cold with lows around 5 degrees and an average annual snowfall of 42 inches, which is about 14 inches more than the national average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Edgerton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Edgerton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Edgerton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Edgerton
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Edgerton
Edgerton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Edgerton, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Edgerton
Edgerton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.