What could cause blood and cloudy matter in my urine?

I had blood in my urine Thursday night. Was medium red but a drop of urine on paper was pink. After the 4th voidurine was back to normal ( pale yellow and odorless ). I drink 64 to 80oz water daily and did not have an injury or illness prior to Thursday night. Following 4 void samples kept and all similar in color. At the bottom of each sample there was a cloudy matter taking up the bottom inch. Also there were what looked like micro blood clots on the bottom of each container. No pain at all. 24 hours later things back to normal and have been for 72 hours. I'm concerned as to why or what could have happened and what should I do if anything. I'm scheduled for urine test at VA Monday morning as this was the first they could see me. My mother inlaw was head nurse hospital houston and a friend male had same thing happen to him both said go to the hospital right away! Even if it goes away it is nothing to take lightly! The VA is backlogged so tomorrow is the 1st available but my question is what do you make of this situation and what would you do about it? Thankyou for all of the fabulous help you provide with these Q&A solutions. Bob

Bob, your mother in law is right about the fact that blood in the urine, called hematuria, is something that you never ignore, even if it goes away. It is commonly caused by bladder infections, kidney stones, or prostate problems. However, it can also be a sign of more serious problems, like bladder cancer. Since your urine is cloudy, it sound like you may have a bladder infection, which can definitely cause hematuria. This will usually clear up with antibiotics.

While I agree that you should not take blood in your urine lightly, I really don't think that you need to go to the ER right away. I think as long as you are not febrile (no fever), not in pain, and feeling OK, that you can wait until tomorrow for the VA appointment.

Thanks for the kind words!

Buddybob answered...

Thank you for the straight forward no nonsense answers! It puts my mind at ease and allows a good nights sleep. I can tell by your answers that there is alot of experience, thought, and careing put into your very helpful replies. Thanks again Bob