Mayview Convalescent Center

513 EAST WHITAKER MILL ROAD, Raleigh, NC, 27608

Reviews of Mayview Convalescent Center

January 20, 2017

By SweetLOBO10

Rating is based on a poor transition of care from the hospital to skilled rehab facility. Has nothing to do with the clinical quality of care. Not there long enough to judge that personally. Asked hospital discharge planner for a private room. She checked local facilities & told by Mayview that pvt available. Chose facility specifically for pvt room & decent Medicare rating. Upon arrival my loved one was taken to a semi-private room. We were told the pvt room had been assigned to someone else & would be difficult to change this. Mayview blamed the miscommunication on the hospital. The hospital blamed on Mayview. Another surprise was the drab, dull, dingy & depressing interior and rooms. Medicare rating is only 0ne of the things to consider when choosing a skilled rehab center. Quality of care is important & Mayview had decent rating. But interior décor and environmental aesthetics are important as well. If time & family support allow, scope out your prospective facility before committing. This is difficult to do given the rush to hospital discharge. My advice: DONT GO TO THE OAKS OF MAYVIEW if you can help it.

July 22, 2016

By hh8

My family member was there for rehab and was put into a shared room with a long-term resident. The room was cramped. I saw big roaches in the room - on the tray table. The staff: CNAs during the day/evening were caring. Nurses - many acted like they didn't want to be bothered. Therapists: Good. If you're at Mayview - don't expect them to do what's right. You or your family member will have to stay behind the Mayview staff - the social worker, patient care person, the nurses, the PAs to get anything done... They don't appear to have much teamwork at the facility and probably like many places, turnover of personnel is huge.

April 09, 2016

By maggardens

My aunt was transferred as a patient at Mayview upon becoming unable to live unassisted at Whitacker Glen anymore. She stayed there until she died at 90. I visited often until she got so bad that she only slept all day and night and did not know who was what. I was worried that my aunt would die and I would not be notified or find out for days after her death and I discussed that with the staff on many occasions. They assured me that would not happen and they had my name and phone number in her file. She died Tuesday. We did not find out until Wednesday afternoon by a facebook message by a non family member. When I went to collect her personal property promptly after the service, I voiced my displeasure to their social worker who told me that her obligation was fulfilled when she notified the power of attorney, my aunts CPA. The social worker was not family friendly or pleasant. They do not give two hoots and a holler about their patients or their family. Someone needs to go there and overhaul the whole facility. End of life services need to be sensitive to the patients family members and you will not get that there. It makes me wonder what kind of care the patients get who are not able to speak for themselves. If I could give them a lower rating, I would.

December 22, 2015

By AmyH55

The 1st Shift Aides, housekeepers, and Nurses are so very nice and cheaper on the Dementia floor but 2nd shift are rude and lazy. They have attitudes when you request assistance for your loved ones. 3rd shift I just don't know why they still have a job because my loved one is always has on a soaked depend, soaked bed and no cover over them. We pay a decent amount of money and for this care we will be looking to change locations if this doesn't change. Also please get an exterminator out for the roaches often seen in rooms and hallways.

May 26, 2015

By concernedaughter

My father was a patient at Mayview. Within 3 days he'd fallen unsupervised and broken an arm. It took them over 12 hours to take him to a hospital. He spent over two weeks unable to participate in rehab because rather than giving him pain killers prn, as prescribed, they gave it q4. It routinely took over an hour for calls to be answered, even with family members coming out to ask for help. The facility is clearly understaffed and that puts residents at risk.

January 06, 2015

I visited Mayview Convalescent Center. I would rate it as one of the top nursing homes in the Raleigh area. I was with a private patient in this facility, and she was going through a therapy at that time. She stayed there for three to four weeks. They did a very good job. They took her to therapy mostly everyday. They cleaned her up, they cleaned the bed, and they brought her food. They had very good food for her everyday. She had a well-balanced meal three times a day. They were very nice and polite for her. With anything that she needed and as she called, it wasn't a long wait. She was in a private room. It was very clean and nice. It was convenient that it was not too small.

September 13, 2013

By susan clamp

My Father (86) was a patient in this facility for only 5 days before he passed away after a long illness. I must say from the moment my Mother and I entered the door, we were made to feel welcome and that Dad would get the best of care. The Lady at reception is a jewel and was so kind to us from start to finish. The Nursing staff of Mayview, as well as all of the Hospice providers on site treated my Dad with care and respect. I would recommend this facility to anyone experiencing Hospice needs. If my Dad had been able to be up and about I know he would have loved the music that was performed in the main area each day I was there, The staff controlled his pain and allowed him to end his days with dignity, Thank you

September 11, 2011

By chlkmh

My mother is currently living in this nursing home, The Oaks at Mayview, located in Raleigh, NC. The facility was family owned and operated until 2009 and has always (since the early 1950's) had an excellent reputation, which it still does. The facility is impeccably clean and staff members are competent and very courteous. I visit at least once a week and have never, ever seen anything that was of concern to me. Their care is excellent and the residents have always seemed content, if not happy, there. They have scheduled activities and music periodically and for those who can go out, the occasional "field trip." I could not be happier with this facility, and although my mother has never been fond of being there, I know that it is the best place for her and that she is well cared for, safe, well-fed and has excellent medical care.

August 05, 2011

By Deb412

A family member is currently in the care of Mayview Convalescent Center, and has been for the past couple of years. My family originally decided it would be best to put her there due to some medical and health issues, and hiring a 24 hour nurse did not make sense financially. After reviewing various options in the area, we found Mayview but they unfortunately did not have room. We decided to use another senior home care agency which, while not a complete disaster, was not exactly perfect either. Thankfully, Mayview was able to take us in after a few weeks and I couldn't be happier. The staff is extremely friendly and well trained, and they interact with the seniors in their care daily and create relationships with them. The building itself is very clean, with a bathroom, desk, drawers, television, phone, and bed in each room. Various activities are scheduled daily for the seniors to participate in if they like, and helps to really build a community and keep things fun. I really trust Mayview, and feel lucky we found such a great place.

May 25, 2011

By jgflea

Friend or relative of resident

My mother in law stayed here for several weeks before we found her a permanent home. This facility must be the oldest convalescent facility in the area. Just looking at the facility from the outside reminded you of buildings from the early 1950's. When you get inside, you can see that the facility is pretty much held together by spit, glue and a prayer. My mother in law was put in a very small room with 2 other elderly women and you literally could not hear yourself think over the volume of their TV's. The facility was woefully understaffed and my mother in law actually escaped all the way outside twice before the staff noticed and brought her back inside. I would definitely advise people to not send their loved ones to this facility.

Features of Mayview Convalescent Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Mayview Convalescent Center

Mayview Convalescent Center is a nursing home in Raleigh, NC that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Mayview Convalescent Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Mayview Convalescent Center