Somerford Place of Fresno

6075 North Marks Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93711

Reviews of Somerford Place of Fresno

September 17, 2015

By Rene4

Somerford Place was very nice. They seemed to be very active with the people that lived there. They had a couple of full time people that worked on the activities going all day long for the people the lived there. They had a nice big kitchen for them all to go into. There was a lady there that I played golf with before, and she was doing well there. It was a nice place, and it was small. There was only about 45 or 50 people there.

August 22, 2015

My husband ended up at Somerford Place, which is extremely Alzheimer’s, in Fresno instead because the price was more inclusive, and they only have Alzheimer’s patients. He was very happy there. When I was having physical therapy, they also had like day care facility which I took him over to, so he knew all of the people there. He was very comfortable. He was there for two months before he passed away.

June 30, 2015

Somerford Place was OK but confusing. I’ve been there three times, and I got lost, so I was not particularly impressed. The layout of the place is very long, and they have four sections that people live in, so each person is supposed to know where they live. Well I don’t think that would be very helpful with the memory lot. I just didn’t feel very comfortable there. The staff was good. I liked the way they were treating the people, as they were having a good class; we were there during a time when they had a group, and I thought it was very well organized and very good, something that was appropriate for the people who lived there. They were watching a nature film that the leader was going to be talking about after it was over. They brought in cookies and drinks for the visitors.

I am the Executive Director and I sincerely appreciate your kind words about our team members, especially their quality interactions with residents that you observed. Thanks as well for your positive comments regarding the activity. Five Star Senior Living’s award winning Bridge to Rediscovery program is dedicated to creating opportunities for residents to have enjoyable and interesting days. The design of our community is based on the idea that residents with memory loss benefit from a smaller, more intimate environment. So we have the four neighborhoods designed for 14 residents to give a quieter, less confusing living situation. Because each neighborhood is open to the whole community, our residents have the freedom to move about as they desire. Our associates know all of our residents and can easily help them back to their home when it’s time for dinner etc. We believe that the combination of smaller households along with the freedom to travel within a secure setting gives our residents the best of both worlds. Again, I want to thank you for your comments and the opportunity to share with you the purpose behind the layout and design of our community.

Kathy Gorman, Executive Director

January 13, 2015

We have visited Somerford Place of Fresno. The place is an Alzheimer's unit with a high level of care for the patients living there. They are just fine. The staff is accommodating.

November 15, 2013

By kido

My husband has been at Somerford Place in Fresno for 3 years. I had experience or had visited most other facilities in the area, when caring for my parents and in laws. When I visited Somerford Place, I knew it was the BEST place for my husband who has memory loss. The food and care is superior. The administrator and staff are the BEST in the Central Valley. When an emergency happens, they know what to do. When he was hospitalized with emergency surgery, the top 2 administrators came and sang to him. His blood pressure suddenly became normal with their soothing and comforting music. I can never thank them enough for all they do for my husband. He never sang or danced until he came to Somerford. Now he is their star, singing, humming and dancing to the music they provide. Music is the best therapy for Alzheimer's patients. They also know when the medications are correct. My husband was over medicated at first and they alerted me to the problem. With their help, he is now more alert and enjoying his surroundings. I can't recommend or thank them enough!

November 13, 2013

By Morten

My mother has been a resident at Somerford place for approximately 2 1/2 years. She has received excellent care while being there, the staff is extremely kind and caring! I go every Wednesday to have lunch with her – the meals are excellent! The planned events are fun and all the family is invited – a great time to build memories with your loved one. It is a wonderful environment, one that you feel secure having your loved one in. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

September 01, 2012

By Martha J

This marvelous facility provides day care, seminars for families and caregivers and community members and has 4 living quarters separated only to make the quantity of persons living in each section less than the total of the whole facility. Individualized care is provided around the clock. The staff are real persons and are of high caliber in the fields of care, compassion, concern, attentiveness and capability. I highly recommend Somerford. Highly.

June 09, 2012

By pgsunshine

Somerford is a wonderful place. The staff is exceptional, has a lot of integrity, and take great pride in the care they provide for residents. The facilities include: - A secure entrance/exit - A lovely backyard with walking paths and benches - Community/activity room, dining rooms, tv rooms, and a hair salon - Families can opt to have hair cuts and/or pedicures on a weekly or monthly basis - For a small fee, family members can ask to dine at the residence when visiting or bring in their own food for a meal at no extra cost. - Hospice services are welcome at Somerford for end of life care. For example, when visiting my mother we would like to have 'picnics' where we brought in our own lunch or dinner to share with mom. So, the staff would set up a table for our family in a separate room where we could dine with our mother. They also have great daily activities that include both residents and those interested in adult day care. This included DJ's that played Big Band music for singing and those who could dance, physical fitness activities, manicure day, and arts and crafts. Our family highly recommends Somerford and encourage you to visit for a tour by calling ahead.

February 27, 2012

By AmiR4663

Talk about impressive, this is one! I was given a tour by a very sweet marketing director who knew the names of all of the patients. I really like the set up. There are two sections with 2 pods each decorated with a different theme so that residents can remember where their room is and section has its own kitchen stocked with snacks, microwaves, and crock pots of soup. This is made to feel like a home with backyard patios and paths (very well groomed all of the fall leaves had been picked up unlike others I've seen). Because of the Alzheimer's care, security is tight. The rooms are mostly private with memory boxes at each doorway. There were two activity directors preparing for Xmas festivities that night. I witnessed joking amongst the patients and staff. The executive director even came out to greet me, he was very nice. I would most definitely recommend this facility, 5 stars for sure!

Photos of Somerford Place of Fresno

• Minimum Age: None
  • Pets: No Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: 107200867

About Somerford Place of Fresno

At Somerford Place, we understand the challenges for those living with memory loss and for the people who love them. Providing care and support twenty-four hours a day takes a great amount of energy, emotional strength and a great deal of support. Our award-winning Bridge to Rediscovery® program helps give people with Alzheimer's and other types of dementias the specialized care they need as they rediscover the joy in everyday life. We have day, overnight and live-in options to fit any of your needs.

Montessori approach to Memory Care