Birch Heights

7 Kendall Pond Rd, Derry, NH, 03038

Reviews of Birch Heights

Caring99608950 December 30, 2014

Birch Heights was beautiful. There was a very calming effect when you walk in, there was a lot of stuff to do there, and it was very clean, the apartments were very nice; it was just very nice. The staff was excellent. We were there after lunch and before dinner, so we didn't get to see anything in the dining room. There were women playing dominoes in one of the game room and like I said it was very peaceful in there.

Bob98167950 December 09, 2014

My father-in-law had been at Birch Heights for a couple of months. I am very pleased with every aspect of it: the cleanliness, the people, the friendliness, the activities that they do, and the food, and I am very pleased that he is too. I've eaten there several times myself. They have a very well-balanced menu. He is in a studio apartment. The space was ample. The staff was excellent and extremely helpful. They have a bus where they will take them to church. They have different activities outside of the building. They visit restaurants and they take them shopping. They have the activities within the structure itself such as exercise classes and wellness programs. The facility is only about five years old, so it's in very good shape. I would most definitely recommend this facility.

Caring96904650 November 15, 2014

Birch Height was very nice and the person who took us along the tour was just very thoughtful, and she had anticipated all the questions that we would have had. Like I said, my uncle fell in love with the place. Actually, I did email the lady who I had talked to and told her that he had moved in there, asking for her assistance because she was also very helpful and she continues to send little tidbits of information.

They showed us a variety of different rooms, some of them were furnished and some were not, just to give him a look and the opportunity to see the size of the rooms. The dining room was just extravagant -- we actually even met the chef and they opened the door of the kitchen to let us see the kitchen facility. It was very nice. They had tables for four and the chairs actually had rollers on them -- so if somebody has difficulty moving on chairs, they can roll and I thought that was kind of neat.

At this point my uncle is still independent, although we did have to get him some assistance because he had a wound on his leg. He has been going to the wound center and he is not able to change his bandages, although they have a company called Integrated Health Services -- when we needed help for him, we were able to just call Integrated. Then, they called Wound Center and got the authorization to help him out, which I found very convenient. You can walk around outside if the weather is good and you can also walk the hallways, and they have a room where you can play cards, and a room with a large screen TV where they offer movie nights. They just seemed to have more activities.

In his case, he wasn’t cooking a lot, so he was going out to restaurants all the time and he has three meals a day. He is really enjoying it and claims that the soup was fantastic. He is extremely happy. It’s more like a community because people walk the hallways, elevator and to him, that seems to be what he wanted. They seemed to have an abundance of activities going on, and they have a table that tells you what’s on the menu for the day, and also tells you the different activities. They have exercise activities. I actually stopped by to see him about a week ago on a Sunday, and they had about 20 residents in a room, and they had somebody singing and playing the guitar. They have had politicians going there and if anybody wants, to go listen to the politician. They seemed to have activities that people want to join in. I called him last Friday to see how he was doing and I got a callback on a Saturday morning and he said, he was in the game room until midday and apparently, some gentleman asked him if they could play, and he ended up playing, so he is making new friends and they do have things to do. If you are religious, they have a little chapel, so if you want time to spend alone and reflect, they have people that will come in for services. For instance, they will take them to some of the local churches. I noticed that they did have time to go church on Saturday afternoon or Sunday at some of the local churches. They seemed to be a very good facility and he seems extremely happy. He is the type of person who, if he is not happy, he will definitely let you know.

Caring101098050 October 31, 2014

I'm at Birch Heights. My daughter found this place for me. I have been here for four years. The staff's work attitude seems fine. The rooms and apartments are very nice. There is a choice of apartments, i.e., one-bedroom apartment with living room, bedroom, and bath. They have some two-bedroom apartments, and they have studio apartments. Food is acceptable; however, they could improve on the dining experience. Regarding security, this place is very safe.

Caring4315 June 28, 2014

We liked the good sized rooms at Birch Heights, as well as the monthly payment. The room has a refrigerator, and we can also have a microwave. But there is no stove, and that is one thing that bothers me. I will have a wheelchair there, and a bus will take me where I need to go. We were there for dinner and we really enjoyed it. The meals are served in a cafeteria. In addition, it’s wide open, clean, and everybody is really kind.

caring05541 February 28, 2014

Birch Heights is a really nice place and I noticed that they were having activities when we went there. They were lot of people around and that was great. It was a bit expensive as far as I was concerned.

Caring68906850 February 28, 2014

My mom was in an independent living facility called Birch Heights. It was lovely. This community was wonderful. There were two people who run the facility and they were absolutely wonderful. Everything was positive. It was simply that my mom got to a point where she needed more than independent living, otherwise she would still be at Birch Heights because it was really a terrific place. My first impression of it was that it was very attractive, clean and neat. The people there were happy. The caretaker who toured us around was so nice, so helpful, warm and caring. The staff was very attentive. My mom was in a studio apartment, but it was just typical. However, it was certainly spacious enough for her. They also had one-bedrooms and two-bedrooms. The food was very good. The wait staff was young people. They were friendly, fun, attentive and good. For activities, they really had the same things as every other place, e.g. games, card games, groups coming in, movies, and all that sort of thing. They also had a van that would take them to places. The only thing I didn't like, and it is significant, is their parent company. When we tried to get her deposit back, which was guaranteed that we would get it back in 30 days, it took them almost three months to give us our money back. There were a lot of hassling and I actually had to resort to threatening to inform the attorney general of New Hampshire if they didn't refund us. So the parent company was bad but the Birch Heights itself was wonderful.

Caring77967250 February 28, 2014

Generally the staff are very good to us when we had our visit at Birch Heights. What I like about them is that they have a lot of things going on for the residents. Their rooms are small, but adequate. I didn’t eat there, but their food looked good. Their rates are not cheap, but very competitive. I also like that they have a short term option and that looked very good.

Barbara70174550 September 18, 2013

Birch Heights was very clean, neat and had no smell to it. The rooms were very nice as well as the dining room. The staff who gave us the tour was very good and she gave my husband some muffins. They had a bar where the residents came and had muffins or snacks anytime they wanted to. The people seemed friendly there. I would recommend this facility to others.

Aileen35 August 30, 2013

Birch Heights was a very nice facility and I had a good impression. It was well kept. You could use your car too. The people and the residents were very nice. They have different programs going on.

gregnaha July 24, 2012

The staff were generally friendly. A number of the residents often complained about the co-live in managers who often ignored the complaints of residents. Their complaints were often related to the dining room. Though the menu changed from day to day, it was still very restricting, and the majority of the dining staff were overly rude and unwilling to make accommodations for the residents. As far as maintenance of the rooms goes, it often took far too long for things to get fixed. Most of the residents weren't able to change lightbulbs, and would sometimes have to wait as long as a week for maintenance to help them. At least the actual facilities were nice. There was a large garden outside, and transportation around town was provided. There were lots of events planned for the residences, and apart from the lack of response from staff, the residents seemed generally happy to be living there.

Heavenly Home August 01, 2011

I visited this facility with my husband, brother and mother. We were given a brief tour of the facility. The tour consisted of two model rooms, the dining area and the excercise/activity room. We were also given tasty cookies. I was very impressed. This facility serves 3 meals a day to its residents and also has drinks and healthy snacks available during the day and evening. If you are looking for a 5 star assisted living area....this is the place.

From Birch Heights

Birch Heights is located in Derry, NH, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Birch Heights for a visit...and stay!

Features of Birch Heights

• Hiking trails

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room