Top nearby Hospice Services:

Reviews of Hospice By the Sea (Boca Care Center)

Posted by CustomerBeware May 28, 2015
1.0

The staff at this hospice made this difficult time much worse for my family. They were openly hostile and tried to kick my father out in retribution because we dared to question their treatment. Their lack of respect and professionalism towards my family was inexcusable.

My father suffered from dementia which sometimes caused him to choke on his food which would get caught in his lungs. His doctors said he did not have much time left and recommended hospice. My father was not in pain. He was alert and could talk and joke with us. His long term memory was good but he could not remember what he did 5 minutes ago. My father sometimes wakes up confused in the middle of the night and needs a little reassurance to get back to sleep.

When we brought him the first night we thought we could relax, knowing he was taken care of. However, the next morning we found my Dad was unresponsive and could not be awakened. We checked with the hospice doctor, who found that a nurse had given my Dad 2 doses of Morphine in the middle of the night without the doctor’s orders. My Dad was not in pain and had never needed Morphine. The doctor could not give us a good reason why my father was drugged. My father did not regain consciousness for a day and a half.

After we complained to the doctor about the Morphine, the administrative staff became defensive and hostile towards our family. The next day, while my Dad was still unconscious, we were told by the staff that my Dad no longer qualified for their hospice (even though he did qualify) and that we would have to find another hospice facility immediately. It was a holiday weekend and we could not find another facility. I asked the hospice doctor to speak with my Dad’s regular doctor, but he refused. He arrogantly stated, “I am the expert on end of life care, not your Dad’s doctor.” He said that my Dad needed longer term care and did not qualify for this facility. My Dad passed away a few days later.

The week we spent at the hospice took a terrible toll on my family. We had to argue with the doctor and the administrative staff daily to keep them from pushing my Dad out of the facility. My brother and I took turns staying 24 hours with my Dad to make sure he received proper care because we no longer trusted their care. We lost a precious day and half of time with my Dad because they overdosed him with Morphine. Because we questioned the care they were providing they tried bully and intimidate us so that we would leave. They should be ashamed of the pain and anguish they inflicted on our family during my Dad’s last days.

Posted by Justbeachy March 29, 2015

My mother was transported to Hospice By the Sea a week before she passed away. I cannot express what unbelievable care she received and how every effort was made to keep her comfortable. My brother and I were comforted by the time spent with the Hospice Doctors and nurses. They explained the process, kept us updated. A treasure of a resource for Palm Beach County.

Posted by hertzro April 15, 2014
1.0

Consider this organization as a business and do not expect much more. They will tell you that they will provide palliative care, but you have to beg them for it. What they will do is pressure and coerce the patient and the family to do things their way which mostly means that they will do as little as possible, and if you dare to require the services that they promise, they will try to intimidate you. Your loved one will be treated with no respect. Their nursing staff are rude if not crude. Very bad deal.

Posted by djtorchio February 13, 2014

I cannot begin to thank this staff for their warm and caring comfort they provided my mother and my father during my mother's vicious battle with pancreatic cancer. The support of the Chaplain for my father and they had one of the most incredible INTERNS (Stephanie) who, I pray, continues her career as a social worker. A young gal working on her degree she works at this facility helping the family members and she was a guardian angel to my father consoling him in the chapel. The nurses were also guardian angels. I have seen some negative reviews all focused on billing and medicare, etc. Folks! This is health insurance and Medicare we are dealing with. Come on already! Please focus on the positive care and nurturing they provide. To give a one-star and focusing the review on BILLING ALONE is not a fair rating in my eyes. My father has even spoken about becoming a volunteer because, in his words, he cannot repay the facility for the priceless care they gave my mother. As the oldest child of my mother Beatrice living in NC far away, they were very supportive of myself and to Nicole, especially, I thank her. May God have a special 'wing' for you all in his Kingdom when your work here on earth is complete.

Posted by Igscaregiver February 04, 2014
1.0

I happened to use this Hospice at the final stage of life of both my parents. My father was in a nursing rehab and after 8 weeks of rehab, he developed pneumonia at the facility. This Hospice was readily available to come in and provide end of life care. There was never an issue with billing procedures and how long my father would live. I was, however, very disappointed at the care they provided to my mother at her home (not a facility). Their concerns were at all time the billing issues and what medicare would cover because they felt my mother was going to live longer than what they could bill. It was very disheartening to deal with their administrative staff and even their spiritual adviser who raise the issue of billing procedures in trying to comfort me. While some of the nurses were very caring, I would not recommend their services in dealing with the administrative staff.

Posted by Grateful Also! June 14, 2013

It's been a few years now since I received their assistance.We're just now coming out of the grief process. I want others to know that without the help of these people; I don't see how my husband & I would have made it through this painful process.Seek their help! Eventually it is what is best for everyone.These situations are so emotionally charged; that without some help , you may find it hard to keep yourself together.God Bless them & everyone who will travel this journey.You are not alone!!!

Posted by Elizabeth11 March 02, 2013

My friend - who is like a cousin to me, his mother is at Hospice now. After being in 2 different assisted living places, and repeatedly back and forth to hospitals, I am confident that this is the place she needs to be at until her time comes , which will be very soon. I have already been there a few times, and I am imporessed. Twice when i walked in unannounced a burse was in her room checking her, repositioning her and talking so sweet and soothing to her. It is clean, nice, the rooms are very nice, her wondows look out at trees and a patio, so she has a view for her last days. Mary doesnt really understand where she is, so we tell her " she is finally home" After what she had been through the last few years, I am confident that this will be her final home until her time comes. I am greatful to this place and I believe if anyone doesnt give them 5 stars, it is only because they have not dealt with the loss of thier loved one, and try to find blame for a natural thing about life - which is that we are all destined to go eventually . The people working at this hospice are wonderful caring people, and I know Mary is safe, loved, cared for and will be in peace for her final days . Thank you caregivers and medical professionals that work at this hospice location, for treating Mary like a human being for her final days with us .

Posted by South_Florida April 28, 2012
1.0

My loved one received in-house hospice, and for a non-profit in this field, their service was extremely disappointing. These are 3 examples of our experience with Hospice by the Sea. 1. No sense of urgency: We requested to speak to a spiritual advisor. Although they state to be available 24/7, the person told us they couldn't help us that day, asked us to set an appointment for 2 days later. By that time, my husband's health had deteriorated in such a way, that he couldn't talk to the pastor. 2. Poor Customer Service; more interested in billing procedures: We needed to transfer my loved one to another county in the state, to be closed to our relatives. They gave us contradicting information in how to handle this process, and delay it for so long, that it was too late to move him. 3. Lack of bedside manners: After my loved one passed, we were waiting for his parents to arrived. Meanwhile, the nurses were next to his body, chatting and laughing, and we have to call their attention to be more discreet. For them, it was just another day at the office. The one star is because couple of the nurses were competent, and showed some initiative in their work.. But those were the exception.

Posted by welovepolice June 13, 2011
4.0

Past client

The four stars are fro the staff and caring of the patients while they are there. I felt like they really cared about my mom and the whole family. The reason I didn't give 5 stars is because they put a limit in the time you have to grieve....Someone in my family really needed someone to talk to 16 months after death but we were denied. Well first we were told of course they would help but when I spoke to a counslor they said no. Everyone is different and was never told we only have a year to use the We are still very upset about this. It is the ONLY part we have a problem with. The staff and facilitie is wonderful, peaceful and conforting other wise.

Posted by mothecat May 29, 2011

Past client

The care and concern given by HBTS can not be put into words.

God bless these people who cared and comforted my dad the 2 weeks he was there before he died. Such sensitivity. My mom and I will never forget this.

Posted by Alan T April 20, 2011

Interviewed this provider

My fater passed away today. He was at hospice by the sea. I can not put into words how amazing everyone there is. Clare and Yvonne are two of the most COMPASIONATE, CARING, amazing ladies I have ever meet in my life. THANK GOD THEY WERE TAKING CARE OF MY DAD. He was comfortable and treated with love and dignity every moment. Weather it was 2:0 p.m.or 2:00 a.m. they were there to make him comfortable and happy. He had his dignity every moment he was there. My dad could not have been in better hands. If GOD would grant me one wish right now it would be that I could really find the words to say how special they ae. Ladies, my most profound thanks. I Love you both! wheni have had a chance to grieve I will write more. Thanks again to everyone you are all special. Alan T.

Posted by debrah block rkol August 05, 2009

My loved one stayed here

The hospice and the staff were wonderful. My mom was there for just over a week before dying from pancreatic cancer. The caregivers, nurses and administrators were wonderful. The facility was peaceful.

Other Options Nearby