Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids

2000 32Nd St Se, Grand Rapids, MI, 49508

Reviews of Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids

GRNative July 30, 2012

I never really considered a nursing home for either of my parents. My dad passed away a few years ago and when my mother's life started to become because she was diagnosed with early Alzheimer's disease, I didn't have the resources or the time to fully devote myself to my mother. It took a while before my siblings and I decided that MapleCreek was the best choice for our Mother. MapleCreek offers a variety of living situations which is one of the biggest attractions that I found with MapleCreek. My mother is still able to live an independent life with assisted help. In other words she has her own fully functional room in a community within MapleCreek called The Woods. The room is pretty much like a mini-apartment. She has met some new people which I think has been extremely positive since the passing of her husband a few years ago. Some of these people suffer the same conditions that she does which at least from watching is an experience that is pivotal for her as well as personal. A spiritual thing would be the best way to explain it. MapleCreek offers a memory care program which is located within The Woods as well as advanced rehabilitation and one on one skilled nursing staff which is something that will be both inevitable and required in my Mother's future welfare. MapleCreek offers outings, a beauty salon, game nights and many other services that are crucial and have been extremely beneficial to my mom. MapleCreek is the last stop for most elderly individuals that come to live here. That is something that the staff made my family and me very aware of first thing when we were checking out the premises, which is true. A couple of the other facilities that we checked out kind of sugarcoated things which isn't what you need to hear when you're checking your only parent left into a nursing home. The staff at MapleCreek also includes Social Workers which is amazing because each and every one of them is specially designated into an area that coincides with the patients. A lot of the staff is young. That sort of turned me off at first because I wanted my mother to be dealing with people that were a little older and had a little more experience with life but so far everything has worked out in that aspect. I think the grounds at MapleCreek are flawless. The layout is immaculate. It doesn't feel like a nursing home at all. The cottage style condos and terraces that overlook the whole facility which are the independent living quarters really make the place feel like a normal housing community. Every time I drive up to visit my mom, I don't feel like I'm coming to a nursing home even though I am. My only worry is that the community isn't gated so anyone walking along can roam the grounds because it is located on a semi-busy street. 32nd street is in a decent neighborhood and the security is commendable but with the costs associated with MapleCreek, I certainly thing a gate would be advisable. Another random thought is the smell. I've always loathed the smell of hospitals and nursing homes. I can remember this nursing home that my grandmother was in and it reminded me of death, a stale dingy smell. MapleCreek does not have any weird smells; In fact it smells like a normal household would. Overall, despite the outrageous cost and lack of a gate I'm very happy with MapleCreek as a whole and wouldn't want my mother living anywhere else except with one of my siblings or myself.

Tizzy November 17, 2011

My Mom was at the Maple Creek facility for 4 1/2 years until she passed away this past July. She had wonderful care there. I was kept fully involved in her care by the staff and was notified of any falls, what they did, any medication changes. I was notified if there was a drastic change in mental status. The staff was great. From the Director down to the cleaning/maintenance staff. I was always greeted with a hello and a smile by any of the staff whenever I visited my Mom. They cared for my Mom body, mind, and spirit. I will be forever grateful for the care they gave to my mother.

About Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids

Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids is a continuing care retirement community in Grand Rapids, MI that offers housing options for currently healthy people who want to secure their healthcare plan throughout the aging process. Contact Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids for more details on CCRC housing and rates.

Features of Samaritas Senior Living of Grand Rapids