In New York, family members can get paid for caregiving through one of two programs: Consumer Directed Personal Assistance (CDPAP) and Expanded In-Home Services for the Elderly (EISEP). These programs don’t pay caregivers directly, but they provide funds that seniors can use to hire their own caregiver, which can include a family member. Below, learn more about how these programs can help you get paid for providing home care.

Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program

CDPAP is a New York Medicaid program for people who need help with activities of daily living due to chronic illness or disability. Participants receive a monthly allowance to pay for their own home health aide or personal care attendant. Seniors are responsible for hiring, training, supervising and terminating their own caregivers. To qualify, applicants must be 18+, meet Medicaid income limit requirements and be able to safely receive care in their home (or a family member’s home).

To sign up for CDPAP, you’ll need to apply for Medicaid and enroll in a Managed Long-Term Care plan.

Expanded In-home Services for the Elderly

EISEP provides nonmedical services, including personal care, housekeeping, meal preparations and accessibility modifications, that enable seniors aged 60+ to stay at home. Participants also receive funds they can use to pay family caregivers or a professional personal care attendant. This is a non-Medicaid program, which means seniors don’t need to meet strict income requirements to qualify. However, there may be a small fee for services, depending on your income. Fees are charged on a sliding scale based on how much you earn. To be eligible, you must need regular help with your activities of daily living, such as cooking, getting dressed, bathing and grooming.

To apply for EISEP, contact NY Connects at 1 (800) 342-9871.