RescueTouch vs. BlueStar Senior Tech
Since the medical alert industry is considered to be “essential” during the COVID crisis, monitoring and customer service centers are still open and ready to help. To learn more about how a medical alert device can help keep you or your elderly loved one safe and connected during this pandemic, take a look at our list of essential products for seniors during COVID-19.
Unexpected falls and other health and safety emergencies are a real threat for seniors. Because of this, many choose to use medical alert systems. These systems make it easy to get help when an emergency occurs. With these kinds of monitoring systems, seniors can live a more comfortable, safe life. It also helps seniors live independently.
With so many systems to choose from, it can feel overwhelming. We’ve done all the research and compared the top brands so that it’s simple to select the right medical alert products and services.
This guide compares the RescueTouch and BlueStar SeniorTech medical alert systems. Both companies are reputable and have a variety of plans and devices available. While some features of these systems vary, they have competitive monthly prices and don’t require long-term contracts.
RescueTouch is a great option for seniors who want fall detection already included in the monthly plan pricing. BlueStar SeniorChoice is a smart pick for seniors and caregivers who like the idea of using included caregiver monitoring apps and who don’t want to worry about expensive activation fees.
$0 for most except the BellPal watch and the Freedom Alert
Family monitored: $29 - $65
Professionally monitored: $24 - $75
Landline and cellular in-Home systems: $29.95-$34.95
On-the-go systems: $39.95-$44.95
BellPal watch monitoring: $9.95-$19.95
$99 - $178
Optional Monthly Add-On Services
Fall detection: $5/month
Water-Resistant Wearable Devices
Pendant and wristband
Pendant and wristband for home
Landline, cellular (AT&T) Bluetooth
Two-Way Voice Communication
Range (from in-home base unit for landline service)
Up to 2.5 days with GPS turned on
Up to 5 days with GPS turned off
24-hour-36 Hour Backup Systems for In-Home Systems
Up to 2 days for mobile devices
Up to 6 months for BellPal watch
FALL DETECTION, LOCATION and RESPONSE SERVICE
Included with Family Response with Fall Detect, Chit Chat Twin Pack, The Whole Shabang! and Chit Chat Monitored Twin Pack
Included with Admiral Alert, BellPal and SafeGuard
Available as an upgrade at $5/month with Ranger 4G
Included in all devices except 9-1-1 Direct plan and device
Included in all mobile devices, including the BellPal watch
Coverage Away From Home
24/7 USA Call Center
Automatic medication dispenser and organizer, lockbox, wall-mounted button
RescueTouch offers unmonitored and professionally monitored plans. Its wearable devices serve as a two-way communicator and include Voice Connect technology. Subscribers don’t need to own a landline to utilize the RescueTouch medical alert system, and the devices can be used both at home or while on the go. Reviewers give it great reviews.
There are currently three unmonitored (family monitored) plans available to subscribers:
- The Family Response Plan notifies designated emergency contacts when the SOS button is pushed. With this plan, up to five users can be added to the emergency contact list.
- The Family Response with Fall Detection plan includes the above features and also includes fall detection.
- The Chit Chat Twin Pack plan comes with two devices, and they both are monitored under the same plan. The devices can be used as walkie-talkies, too. Fall detection is also included.
As for professionally monitored plans, three plans available to subscribers:
- The 9-1-1 Direct plan comes with one device, which doesn’t include GPS tracking. The plan includes 24/7 monitoring, and the wearer’s local 911 service is contacted when the SOS button is pressed.
- The Whole Shabang! plan comes with one device and is also monitored 24/7. It has the same features as the Family Response with Fall Detection plan.
- Chit Chat Monitored Twin Pack comes with two wearable devices, which are both monitored 24/7. This plan offers the same features as the Chit Chat Twin Pack plan.
There is a $99 one-time activation fee for a single device and a $179 one-time activation fee for twin-plan devices.
Pros of RescueTouch
- Devices are wearable showerproof pendants.
- Seniors can purchase monitored or unmonitored plans.
- There’s no landline service required.
- The device can be used anywhere
- Rates are locked in.
- A variety of payment plans are available.
Cons of RescueTouch
- There is no in-home system option. Instead, all devices are wearable.
- A one-time device activation fee applies.
BlueStar SeniorTech Overview
BlueStar SeniorTech is another medical alert system company with a good reputation. The brand offers in-home and mobile systems, and professionally monitored and family monitored plans are available. Its home devices are available through landline or cellular connection, and its mobile devices are available through cellular or Bluetooth connection. Fall detection is automatically included with some devices, while others allow this service to be added as an upgrade.
There are currently three in-home systems with corresponding plans:
- The Sentry system requires a landline to operate and has a range of 600 feet. The wearable device is available as a neck pendant, and a wall-mounted button is also included. This system also has a unique concierge button, which can connect directly to one single phone number.
- The SafeGuard system uses a cellular-based connection and has a range of 600 feet. This system includes fall detection at no extra cost, and wearable devices are available as a neck pendant or wristband. The SafeGuard includes a mobile app to manage features and reminders and messages can also be programmed. This system also offers weather alerts, and the separate concierge button can connect directly to one single phone number.
- The FreedomAlert also requires a landline to operate and has a range of 600 feet. This system is unique in that it doesn’t charge monthly fees. Instead, seniors buy the equipment. It includes a base station and a device, available as a neck pendant or a belt clip style. When the button is pushed, family or caregivers are automatically called in the order specified during pre-programming. If contacts are unreachable, the system calls 911.
BlueStar Senior Tech currently offers three mobile systems with corresponding plans:
- The Ranger 4G is a cellular-based system. The device is lightweight, is compact and can be worn in a pocket, on a keychain or around the neck. It includes GPS capabilities. Professional help is contacted when the emergency button is pressed. Fall detection can be added for additional fees.
- The Admiral Alert is also a cellular-based system. While at home, individuals wear a pendant, and professionals are alerted when the help button is pressed. There is also a traveling device that attaches to the base and can be taken when seniors leave home. The traveling device has GPS capabilities. This also includes the Care4Mom mobile tracking app. Fall detection can be upgraded at an additional fee.
- BellPal is a Bluetooth-powered system that includes a waterproof watch with built-in medical alert capacities. The device is available in many styles, and the watch battery can last up to six months. Help is alerted when the side SOS button is pressed. There are different plans available that dictate who is contacted in the event of an emergency, such as family or emergency professionals. Fall detection and GPS tracking are both included. This device pairs with an included smartphone app.
There are no activation fees for any of BlueStar SeniorTech’s systems or devices.
Pros of Blue Star Senior Tech
- There are no activation fees.
- Home-based and mobile plans are available.
- There are no contracts.
- Mobile plans include a mobile app to help caregivers stay informed.
- Both professionally monitored and family monitored plans are available.
Cons of Blue Star Senior Tech
- Not all systems offer fall detection.
- There is no free trial period available.
- Some products, like the FreedomAlert and the BellPal watch, require upfront equipment costs.
Both RescueTouch and BlueStar SeniorTech offer competitive prices. It’s worth noting that RescueTouch includes fall detection in its pricing. For some devices, like the Ranger 4G, BlueStar SeniorTech charges extra for this.
Neither brand requires long-term contracts, and both companies offer flexible payment options. Only RescueTouch provides a free trial, but it does charge activation fees. While BlueStar SeniorTech doesn’t charge activation fees, there are significant upfront costs for specific equipment — like the FreedomAlert and BellPal watch.
RescueTouch and BlueStar SeniorTech are both accredited through the Better Business Bureau. Both companies have an A+ rating and have excellent reviews and zero BBB customer complaints.
While both brands are reputable and would make an excellent choice for a medical alert system, our pick is BlueStar SeniorTech. We like that it doesn’t charge activation fees and offers both in-home and mobile systems. We also like the included caregiver apps available with mobile plans.
Another reason to love this company is that it offers a family monitored option with no monthly subscription cost with the FreedomAlert. While it requires upfront equipment costs, it can save seniors money in the long run.
Compare More Medical Alert Systems
Click on the links below to read about Medical Alert system comparisons.
- Alert1 vs Life Alert
- Alert1 vs MobileHelp
- Bay Alarm Medical vs GreatCall
- Bay Alarm Medical vs Philips Lifeline
- Greatcall vs Medical Guardian
- Life Alert vs Bay Alarm Medical
- Life Alert vs Medical Alert
- Life Alert vs Medical Guardian
- Life Alert vs Q Medic
- LifeFone vs LifeStation
- LifeStation vs ResponseNow
- Medical Guardian vs Bay Alarm Medical
- Medical Guardian vs Medical Care Alert
- MobileHelp vs Bay View Medical
- MobileHelp vs GreatCall
- MobileHelp vs Life Alert
- MobileHelp vs Lifestation
- Philips Lifeline vs LifeFone
- Rescue Alert vs Alert1
- ResponseNow vs GreatCall
- RescueTouch vs. MobileHelp
- RescueTouch vs. LifeFone
- RescueTouch vs Medical Guardian
- RescueTouch vs. Bay Alarm Medical
- RescueTouch vs. Medical Care Alert
- RescueTouch vs. QMedic