How to Order a Medical Alert Bracelet
With dozens of medical alert companies offering medical alert bracelets, smartwatches, pendants and wall-mounted help buttons, the process of ordering a medical alert bracelet may seem a bit overwhelming. After all, simply choosing the best medical alert system can be challenging, let alone navigating the various ordering options.
To help make the process of purchasing your medical alert bracelet easier, our team of senior care experts have prepared this easy-to-read overview that covers the three most commonly-used ordering methods.
In this guide we explain how to order a medical alert bracelet online, over the phone and in-person through an authorized retailer as well as the pros and cons of each option.
Many medical alert companies are set up to accept orders online through a secured website. To order a medical alert bracelet, customers simply need to select the intended device and monitoring plan, enter their personal information and credit card number and select shipping for the system to arrive at their home.
Pros of ordering a medical alert bracelet online:
- You can take all the time you need to decide which medical alert bracelet, monitoring services and additional features fit your needs and budget
- There’s no pressure from a salesperson
- You can easily compare costs and options between various systems
- You can place your order anytime, from anywhere
Cons of ordering a medical alert bracelet online:
- Some medical alert company websites are difficult to navigate, which can make it hard to understand all the available devices and services
- You may feel uncomfortable using your credit card to make an online purchase
- You can’t see the medical alert bracelet in person before committing to the order
- You could miss out on special promotions and discounts that are only available through a salesperson or product consultant
Order Over the Phone
Some medical alert companies operate a call center staffed by product experts who process orders for medical alert bracelets, pendants and mobile help buttons. When consumers call for information about a particular medical alert system, they’re usually directed to a salesperson who specializes in handling phone sales for the company.
Pros of ordering a medical alert bracelet over the phone:
- You’ll be speaking with a product expert who can answer all of your questions about the various medical alert bracelet options and features
- You may feel more comfortable using your credit card to make a purchase over the phone than you would with an online purchase
- You’ll have the chance to inquire about any specials, discounts or offers that you may qualify for
Cons of ordering a medical alert bracelet over the phone:
- You may feel pressured into purchasing additional services when speaking with a salesperson
- If you have a hearing impairment, you may find it hard to have a conversation on the phone
- You don’t have the opportunity to see the medical alert bracelet in person before ordering it
Buy Through an Authorized Dealer
A few medical alert companies sell their medical alert bracelets and monitoring services through authorized dealers, which are often medical supply companies. This process usually involves going to a retail outlet to review the plan options, select a device and complete a service agreement.
Pros of purchasing a medical alert bracelet in-person:
- You may have the opportunity to see a sample of the medical alert bracelet you’re ordering
- You may find it easier to communicate with a sales representative in person
- You don’t have to provide your credit-card number online or over the phone
Cons of purchasing a medical alert bracelet in-person:
- You may not get the lowest possible price on your medical alert bracelet because authorized retailers often mark-up the price in order to cover their overhead costs
- Visiting a brick-and-mortar store could be difficult, especially if you don’t drive, have mobility issues or require support from a loved one or caregiver
- You may feel pressured to make a purchase when shopping in person
- The retailer may not be as familiar with the medical alert bracelet and monitoring options as a salesperson who works exclusively for the medical alert company
What’s the Best Way to Order Your Medical Alert Bracelet?
While it’s important that you feel comfortable with the ordering process when purchasing a medical alert bracelet, we recommend focusing first on finding the best medical alert system for you and your particular needs. Chances are good that there are a few ordering options available for the medical alert system that you’d like to purchase, giving you the opportunity to choose the ordering method you feel most comfortable with.