In Kansas, you may qualify for home health care financial assistance if you meet certain financial and medical criteria. Kansas offers two programs that pay for home health services: the Frail and Elderly Medicaid Waiver and Program of All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE). In this guide, you’ll find an overview of each program and its eligibility requirements.

Frail and Elderly Waiver

The Frail and Elderly Waiver is a Medicaid program that pays for home health care and other services seniors need to stay in their homes. To qualify for this program, individuals must be 65 or older and undergo an assessment to demonstrate their need for a nursing facility level of care. Seniors must also qualify for Medicaid, which is called KanCare in Kansas. KanCare doesn’t set an income limit for Medicaid waivers, but any income over $2,742 per month must be used for care costs. KanCare also has an asset limit of $2,000, or if both spouses are applying, the asset limit increases to $3,000. To apply, contact the nearest Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) or call (855) 200-2372.

Services provided through the waiver include:

  • Adult day care
  • Nursing evaluation visits
  • Personal care
  • Medication reminders
  • Wellness monitoring
  • Dental care
  • Financial management
  • Personal emergency response system
  • Virtual medical services (telehealth)

Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly

PACE provides a wide range of medical services in seniors’ homes and adult day health care centers. Care is coordinated and provided by an interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, therapists and other professionals. In-home services include skilled nursing, personal care, physical/occupational therapy, meal preparation and chore assistance. The program also covers visits with medical specialists, such as dentists and cardiologists, as well as inpatient rehabilitation and emergency room visits.To qualify for PACE, you must be 55+, be able to live safely in your own community, require a nursing home level of care and reside in the service area of a PACE organization. If you have Medicare, the program covers the cost of most medical services. If you also have Medicaid, you’ll pay little or nothing for long-term care services that aren’t covered by Medicare. Seniors who don’t have Medicaid must pay a monthly premium for the long-term care portion of PACE. Call the PACE provider that serves your county to apply.