What kind of wages should we expect to pay for in home care for my mother?

crsten06 asked...
What kind of wages should we expect to pay for in home care for my mother? She has a nuerodegenerative disease and requires 24 hour care. I can't seem to find any place to start.

Answers
RobinD answered...

Normally in home care can run anywhere from $1500 on up to $3000. You can cut the fees if you offer housing along with it. This might benefit you in the long run, as it gives you respite time.

Check in the Senior Centers in your area as most post who are interested in a position. Make sure they are screened and check their background.

bethkent5 answered...

Care Aides' fees are somewhat dependent on your area of the country. Also, based on the level of training and job responsibilities. I was paying $12 an hour for the waking hours when both parents were alive at home. That included almost total care for my father and very little for my mother. She was pretty independent at that time. The aide would also prepare meals and do cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom. We had a cleaning lady come in every two weeks to do the floors and a more complete cleaning. As my mother deteriorated we raised the hourly to $15. That seemed to be about standard. The shifts were more than 4 hours and on-going. Shorter, less regular shifts might have to pay more. At night I agreed with the staff to do flat rate. From 9pm to 9am we paid $75 because the aide could sleep...waking only if my dad got up. Over the years we provided care, that rate went up to $100 and then $120 per night as more care was needed and a person was expected to be up more. You might look for a nursing student who is looking for extra money who would be willing to stay the night. Youngsters are much more resilient and can still manage their day on very little sleep and the extra money is a real treat for them. My son who was not medical based put himself through his college years sleeping at Grandpa's two nights a week. One suggestion, talk to potential staff and negotiate. Don't be afraid to have an open conversation about possibilities. Often people are willing to take less if they know it is going to be a good case with reliable hours. Good luck.