Brookdale Oak Park | Independent Living

1111 Ontario Street, Oak Park, IL, 60302

Top nearby Independent Living Communities

Reviews of Brookdale Oak Park | Independent Living

With love from your daughter May 25, 2015

The day Mom and I walked into Brookdale Oak Park (Holley Court Terrace) for the first time, we both knew this was the place!

Dad had been refusing to move for 9 years, and it did take from April 2013 until October 2013 to actually make it happen. It would not have happened at all had it not been for the outstanding staff at Brookdale Oak Park. They were with me every step of the way with incredible patience, understanding and reassurance...and no pressure.

Before I relate additional details about Brookdale Oak Park, it's important to tell you that this move has brought my brothers and me priceless peace of mind. After 4 months in his new environment, my Dad told me with tears in his eyes, that this was the best thing they could have done. No grass to cut, no snow to shovel, very few meals to make. The people who work here have been here for years; there is very little turnover in staff including the housekeeper who cleans my parents' apartment every Friday, and the staff who coordinates outings, senior services, and sometimes leads Sit and Be Fit classes. All of this, and what I am about to describe, is INCLUDED in the monthly rent.

This retirement community is truly just that: a community. My mother is actually the quieter one, but she immediately starting making friends. She loves jigsaw puzzles, and there is always one in the library. Dad has met people just riding on the elevator to and from dinner!

I think that is one of the best things about Brookdale Oak Park. You can easily choose your level of community involvement. Mom is out and about, taking the van to Jewel or Walgreens, (groceries are brought up to their apartment) and sometimes to a larger shopping mall. Dad and Mom, both in their upper 80s, are both involved with Sit and Be Fit 5 days a week for 30 minutes.

Another great thing at Brookdale is the town car that takes my parents to anything within a 3 mile radius. Even during the harshest Midwestern winter days, Mom and Dad are picked up and returned in a warm car from door to door, usually with very little wait time. Medical situation requiring an unexpected visit to the doctor? They will fit you in the car schedule for the day or help you find a way to and from your appointment.

Breakfast and dinner are served in a restaurant on the 13th floor with an incomparable view of the Chicago skyline. There is also an open-air patio with comfortable seating and 2 large grills for summer enjoyment. It's one of the best seats in town 3 seasons of the year.

My parents worked hard all their lives, and they spent many of their active retirement years helping others. Now they are living in a place where residents look out for each other, staff helps create a consistently caring, yet independent environment if needed (assisted living is also available), and most of all, I didn't have to "put them in a home." They live in a beautiful apartment building with programs and services developed with great care to meet the needs and wants of all its residents.

Suzanne22 January 19, 2015

I visited Brookdale Oak Park for a couple of hours. I had lunch and walked around with the sales person. It is a beautiful facility. It is very nicely furnished, very clean, and very nice. They do have assisted living services available, but the focus is more on independent living. The food is great. I didn't really zero in on the kind of activities they have. I think it is a high quality place. It's just that my husband needed more assistance that I felt wouldn't be readily available to him there. He is really ill, and their focus is more on people who are more independent. The rooms are very nice, and they have more variety in the kind of apartment that you can get. You can get a one bedroom or two bedrooms. It is a facility that a couple can comfortably live in together. It was very good and extremely clean. It is well cared for, and the people are very nice. The reason I didn't select it is not because of the quality of the place but because their program is different. It didn't offer what my husband needed.

Caring201973 January 24, 2012

I don't know where the one percent go when they retire, but I have a feeling it might be the Holley Court Terrace which is in the heart of Oak Park, a western suburb of Chicago. If you can afford to live here I would highly recommend this retirement community because the place is beautiful. Being from Oak Park, I readily noticed that the interior design is very much in the design of Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect whose many architectural gems are in Oak Park. The lamps are certainly in that style of architecture. What really distinguishes this facility are the views. Holley Court Terrace is probably one of the tallest buildings in Oak Park. From the 13th floor which is where the dining room is located are some of the best views in the village. On this wintry afternoon there was a fantastic view of the Chicago skyline which is some 10 miles away. The interior furnishings are elegant and to my mind in good taste. This place is beautifully furnished and carpeted. It feels more like a hotel than anything else. The dining room is very inviting, perhaps not the same as eating at the top of the John Hancock, but it is both elegant and intimate. One gets the sense that if you come to live here because of your friends, you would have a great time in the evening. Also on the 13th floor is a beautiful atrium, which I am told the residents take care of. I toured one of the two bedrooms and was very impressed with the size, closet space and once again the views. One of the difficulties of moving into a retirement community is downsizing, but I was surprised at the amount of closet space in the unit. Holley Court Terrace is in the heart of the downtown Oak Park area, across from a Trader Joes grocery and several restaurants and stores. People moving here would not feel at all isolated. You don't really need to go out thought because there are activities galore inside, including a place to work out and a pool table. The staff were very accommodating and there is resident parking in the back. I would absolutely recommend this place and wouldn't mind living here myself.

From Brookdale Oak Park

Brookdale Oak Park provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Features of Brookdale Oak Park