American House Livonia Senior Living

11525 Farmington Rd, Livonia, MI, 48150

Reviews of American House Livonia Senior Living

Average Rating:

Joseph36 February 18, 2015

American House - Livonia had a lot of activities -- they have trips to the casino, shopping trips, and watching movies. They serve three meals and a snack. I would give them a high rating. They were very nice and very accommodating, they answered all our questions, and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Thanks for leaving a review -- and noticing that our Life Enrichment Directors help organize fun and engaging trips for our residents. We sure do have a lot of fun! We appreciate you stopping by and are always here if you have questions.

Dougie2 September 26, 2014

My brother and my mom were not crazy about it, but I loved Livonia Senior Living. They offer everything you need, from just a little bit of assistance to full assistance. They had medical and they had a central dining area. The people were very nice -- could have been more helpful. We’ve convinced her to live with us, but if I could get her to live in a facility, that was our first option anyway. The rooms are nice. They had studios and they had 1-bedroom units. They were remodeling some of it while we were there, and it was very nice.

I'm glad you like American House Livonia! We find it is helpful to offer our personal care services on an a la carte basis, so residents aren't paying for something they don't need. If things change and she is ready to move, please call me directly and I'll be happy to help start the process!

Caring95204150 September 13, 2014

I visited American House for my husband, and I liked it. I was impressed with it. It was a little bit far for me to go, but I thought it was a nice facility. I didn't want a facility that had dementia and Alzheimer's with it because I don't think my husband could handle that. I wasn't there long. I just saw the studio apartment, which I liked, and I thought it was nice. I talked to the therapist, and she was very nice. I also talked to the director. I saw the dining room, and it looked very nice, and everybody looked very clean. It was very clean and it had no smell. They do a lot of trips and activities with their patients. However, I wasn’t there a long time because I wanted my children to come and look at the facility also. She said I could come anytime.

Thanks for taking a tour! It seems like you saw everything we have to offer, including the unique activities and events, and I'm sure your children will like it here, too! Please do stop by anytime. And if you -- or your children -- have any questions, call me directly and I'd be happy to answer everything for you. See you soon!

laugh a lot April 22, 2014

My friend is in American House and it is very nice. It is very clean, attractively decorated, and very warm looking. The staff is very patient and nice. However, my friend is not really happy with the food, and a lot of the other people are not really happy with it either.

I'm glad you appreciate the decor, and hopefully your friend has been able to take part in all our varied activities we offer! Understandably, everyone's palette for foods can be quite different! If you or your friend have any recommendations for meals, I'd be happy to discuss them with our chef! My door is always open, so come on in and let me know.

Cheryl18 November 27, 2013

Right now my mom is at my sister, but we did visit a couple of American Houses. As a matter of fact if she had to be placed to one facility, I'd like her to put her on American House Livonia. That facility is very nice. It's close to home. They were very personable. They gave us lunch and it was just very nice. I like the layout of the place. Some of the rooms were built around like a little courtyard. They can go out to the courtyard, but they couldn’t go anywhere else. The rooms were spacious enough and they had a little kitchenette. They had activities going on. When we were there, they have exercise classes. They also have little game room where they can do puzzles.

I'm happy to hear that you'd like for your mom to live in our community when she's ready! Please give me a call personally when the time is right and I'll be glad to help you and your sister transition your mom to our community. I'm sure she'll love it here!

Stacey7 October 30, 2013

American House was more up to date and modern. The rooms were okay. However, it was a little bit more costly.

We certainly try to keep with the times! Because of this and our amenities (which are priced out to residents on an a la carte basis, so residents only pay for what they need), we are a step above over communities which may not offer what we do. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions - my door is always open!

Sincerely, Cathy Felkins Executive Director 734-425-3050

Hewitt September 16, 2013

I have heard about American House from others, so I visited it. They were about the same as with the other facility I saw. The staff seems very attentive. The rooms are adequate. However, I didn't observe any activities going on during my visit.

You must have caught us between activities, since we usually have something fun going on most of the time! If you'd like to come back, let me know and I can show you some of the events - such as visiting the Detroit Symphony Orchestra - that our residents enjoy.

Sincerely, Cathy Felkins, Executive Director (734) 425-1083

ARelative June 29, 2013

I took my mom out of this facility. Some things were good - such as the room size and the food. However, she never received much interaction from the staff. Like another reviewer said, there is too much sitting in front of the TV. Also, they seem to have a constant turnover of caregivers.

I’m sorry your mom left our community, ARelative. Our staff works hard at creating different activities and options for everyone to participate in, but sometimes our residents do prefer the quiet times we offer. If you have a moment, I would love to have a phone call to discuss your concerns and areas for improvement. Our caregivers are employed by a separate company, but I'll pass on your comments to them as well – thank you for leaving your feedback.

Cathy Felkins, Executive Director, 734-425-3050

755 May 24, 2013

I visited American House Livonia Senior Living when I looked for a place for me and my husband before. The staff were fine and the place seemed clean. I did not take a full tour of the facility. There were a lot of seniors on wheelchairs who sat in front of the television, and I just did not think it was the place that I wanted to be.

Thanks for letting us know what you thought of American House Livonia – I'm sorry that you felt it wouldn't be a good fit for you. While it sounds like you may have caught some of our residents enjoying some down time, I would like to mention some of our exciting partnerships and life enrichment programs that we do offer – including the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, trips to the Tigers' games, and our American House Choir, to name a few. Should you change your mind, I would love the opportunity to host you back in our community.

Sincerely, Cathy Felkins, Executive Director (734) 425-3050

Lizzie83 June 30, 2012

The grounds of the facilities were very pretty and well-kept. There were many plants and flowers. The staff my parents and I interacted with were quite helpful and patient with addressing any concerns we had. We did have one experience where a staff member was impatient with us when we were asking questions while they were having a busy day. Generally, everyone was very helpful. Moving my grandfather in was a trying decision, and the staff did all the could to make it easier. When moving in, the neighbors came over to introduce themselves. It was a friendly community. My grandfather was unhappy at having to move to an assisted living community, but had no complaints with the community itself. The staff tried to insure that he did not feel helpless or "baby-ed," instead emphasizing that this was a natural progression of a living situation as one ages. Overall, I would recommend American House to others.

Dear Lizzie83, At American House, we understand what a transition the move here can be for the entire family and do everything we can to reassure everyone that we truly care about and take care of our residents. I am honored that you would recommend American House Livonia to others "” and I thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback here. If you or your parents ever have any concerns, thoughts or ideas, please don't hesitate to drop by my office. My door is always open.

Sincerely, Beth Bailey, Executive Director 734-425-3050

The_Fadman June 29, 2012

The staff was very friendly and we were encouraged to visit our "loved one" as often as we could after our initial visit ended. The rooms and areas in general were very clean and the scenery outside and inside the facility was quite pleasant. My friends grandma personally told us that life at this nursing home was quite good. She suffers from extreme arthritis which prevents here from moving around freely so she is confined to a wheelchair for most of the day. She assured us that they took great care of her and that this facility was a great improvement over the previous one that she was placed at. She also told us the food was quite good but she complained that there aren't really enough staff members to assign proper time and care for every senior citizen at the facility. I gave this place four stars (which is quite good for a senior living home in my opinion!) because my friends grandma really enjoyed it but they really didn't give each senior enough time with staff to keep them company.

It is always wonderful to hear our residents talking about their happiness here, and we are pleased that your friend's grandmother feels well taken care of at our American House Livonia location. Although we work hard to ensure all of our residents receive the time with staff they require, we may not realize that a resident would like additional time "” but we are more than willing to do whatever it takes to make sure they are getting everything they want and need. Thank you for leaving your feedback. Please feel free to stop by my office (you, or your friend) anytime. My door is always open!

Beth Bailey, Executive Director, 734-425-3050

harnold January 20, 2012

Staff was always very friendly, but I would have like my grandfather to have more interaction with the staff. He hardly ever left his room and nobody ever really came to spend time with him. Also, he ended up with a lot of medical issues that went un-noticed by the staff, which was very disconcerning. All in all, it was pretty much what was to be expected from a long term care facility, but wish that we could strive to do more for the elderly.

We are sorry our staff fell short in giving your grandfather the attention and interaction he deserves as a valued resident of our community. We also understand your concern that his medical issues were not recognized in a timely fashion. We apologize we did not meet your expectations on both issues. We would appreciate your continued feedback so we can make improvements. Please contact me at your convenience at (734) 425-3050. Sincerely, Beth Bailey, Executive Director.

From American House Livonia Senior Living

A relaxing, comfortable one-story community in the West-side suburbs that truly feels like home, American House Livonia is ideally situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Livonia, Plymouth, Northville, Farmington, Westland, and Garden City. We are also located in close proximity to these hospitals, St. Mary Mercy Livonia, Botsford Hospital, and Garden City Hospital. Livonia Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Apartment options at Livonia include studios as well as 1 bedrooms - all with kitchenettes and private baths. Residents can enjoy restaurant-style dining, an onsite beauty salon/barber shop, scheduled transportation and an Activity Director who plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Housekeeping and laundry services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Features & Amenities

• Available laundry service
Additional Assistance Available
  • Personal Care Assistance with bathing & medication reminders
  • On-site personal care agency
  • and other available support services

Location of American House Livonia Senior Living