Assisted Living Facilities in West Virginia
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in West Virginia. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in West Virginia
What they're called
Official name: Assisted Living Residences
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual or shared (up to two persons) living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments) with some cooking facilities; bathrooms may be shared
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- General supervision
- Management, administration, and/or assistance with medications
- Limited, intermittent nursing services
- Personal care services, including assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $3,275 (higher for residents with Alzheimer's or other dementia)
State of West Virginia requirements
- Facility must arrange for additional services, including intermittent nursing care or hospice care, for a resident whose care needs are not met by the facility, but resident is financially responsible for those extra services.
- A licensed healthcare professional must perform a healthcare assessment upon admission to the residence and at least annually thereafter. The facility must also perform a functional needs assessment -- including physical function, psychological, physical, and social activity, plus dietary needs -- of the resident.
State of West Virginia oversight
The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, Bureau for Public Health, Office of Health Facilities (304-558-3151), oversees assisted living residences.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the regional office near you of the West Virginia long-term care ombudsman program or contact the central office at 800-834-0598; this is a free service to help residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in West Virginia
- Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
- For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents ages 65 or over, the state's Medicaid Aged and Disabled waiver program pays for some personal care services provided in participating assisted living facilities.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
- Barboursville, WV
- Beckley, WV
- Bluefield, WV
- Bridgeport, WV
- Buckhannon, WV
- Charles Town, WV
- Charleston, WV
- Clarksburg, WV
- Dunbar, WV
- Elkins, WV
- Fairmont, WV
- Fayetteville, WV
- Follansbee, WV
- Grafton, WV
- Hinton, WV
- Huntington, WV
- Hurricane, WV
- Kenova, WV
- Keyser, WV
- Kingwood, WV
- Lewisburg, WV
- Madison, WV
- Martinsburg, WV
- Morgantown, WV
- Moundsville, WV
- New Martinsville, WV
- Nitro, WV
- Oak Hill, WV
- Paden City, WV
- Parkersburg, WV
- Petersburg, WV
- Philippi, WV
- Berkeley County, WV
- Brooke County, WV
- Cabell County, WV
- Fayette County, WV
- Greenbrier County, WV
- Hampshire County, WV
- Hancock County, WV
- Harrison County, WV
- Jackson County, WV
- Jefferson County, WV
- Kanawha County, WV
- Logan County, WV
- Marion County, WV
- Mercer County, WV
- Monongalia County, WV
- Ohio County, WV