Aging in Place Questions
14 Question and Answer Results
- Dear Granddaughter:
I'm worried sick about my 65 yr old Mom, who is alcoholic, has memory loss and has been hospitalized. My brother has POA and I'm not sure what to do.I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles and problems facing your mother.
- You asked,"Does Blue Cross pay for walk in showers?" In order to answer this question definitively you would have to read your policy and see what is covered and what isn't. Generally speaking, most medical insurance does not cover home modifications like a walk in shower. In Virginia, where I live ...
- For more advanced stages of ALZ and DM you can download a program called "Time of Day". It shows the moment of the day in a simple sentence. It's about 10 bucks last time I visited the site. www.remindme-alz.com. Works with windows and is very simple to use.
- Hello "bogebrd", Caring.com is not an Adult Day Care provider, however you can locate one in your area by clicking here: http://www.caring.com/local/adult-day-care. I am sure they will be able to answer your questions and help you meet the needs of your mother.
- It's so great that you want to provide music for your mom to listen to in her assisted living bedroom -- numerous studies have shown that music can have a positive impact on the quality of life of the elderly (http://www.caregivershome.com/Spiritual/spiritual.cfm?UID=64).
- As your mom recovers her speech and writing ability after her stroke, she may still need some assistance. One way to help make phone calls, is a picture phone - in which pictures of her friends or relatives are on the front of the telephone, associated with their phone numbers. There are quite a few...
- To answer your question, yes, a gadget for medication management exists, but they range in how comprehensive a problem they are trying to solve. It sounds like your mother would not benefit from a simple reminder call, but might do better with a pre-loaded canister of pills like her current weekly p...
- The solution to an accessible dishwasher for seniors is to raise the dishwasher 6"-12" so that the top rack of the dishwasher is level with the adjacent countertop.
- As an aging in place specialist I always look for a way to keep people in the homes they love. I would never recommend putting your mother into assisted living against her will. You said she can manage her personal care without much difficulty. If I am hearing you correctly you are concerned for her...
- I would talk with the occupational and physical therapist from his rehab setting to get an idea of the amount of assistance and best approach for him to carry out his self care tasks. It would also be helpful to find out how much help is provided in the assisted living facility. Your dad's illness a...
- My 87 year old Mom, who lives alone was pushing the buttons on furnace thermostat, without regard to level. We had found the room temp at 90 degrees. Feeling this was excessive, installed a "secured" cover and set the temp at 81 degrees, which Mom said she found comfortable. She was not happy with t...
If you don't see your answer:
- Post your own question for our experts and community to answer