Aging in Place Questions
15 Question and Answer Results
- Dear Granddaughter:
I'm worried sick about my 65 yr old Mom, who is alcoholic, has memory loss and has been hospitalized. My brother has POA and I'm not sure what to do.I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles and problems facing your mother.
- You asked,"Does Blue Cross pay for walk in showers?" In order to answer this question definitively you would have to read your policy and see what is covered and what isn't. Generally speaking, most medical insurance does not cover home modifications like a walk in shower...
- sorry for what you r going through, there are agencies in all States that may help you with some of the things you need, check out your States website, in NJ we have Global Options, maybe it is a Federal thing, not sure? there is Respite care in every State and other senior services but again you have...
- Hello "lost in the system," Thank you for sharing your caregiving challenges with our community. I'm sorry to hear that you've been unsuccessful with your efforts to find care for your parents.
- An information sharing system can keep you up to date with your loved ones home care activity and care plan adherence. An in home care application such as http://www.bettycare.com/ keeps you informed on your loved ones wellbeing.
- It's so great that you want to provide music for your mom to listen to in her assisted living bedroom -- numerous studies have shown that music can have a positive impact on the quality of life of the elderly (http://www.caregivershome.com/Spiritual/spiritual.cfm?UID=64).
- As your mom recovers her speech and writing ability after her stroke, she may still need some assistance. One way to help make phone calls, is a picture phone - in which pictures of her friends or relatives are on the front of the telephone, associated with their phone numbers...
- To answer your question, yes, a gadget for medication management exists, but they range in how comprehensive a problem they are trying to solve. It sounds like your mother would not benefit from a simple reminder call, but might do better with a pre-loaded canister of pills like her current weekly pill box...
- The solution to an accessible dishwasher for seniors is to raise the dishwasher 6”-12” so that the top rack of the dishwasher is level with the adjacent countertop.
- As an aging in place specialist I always look for a way to keep people in the homes they love. I would never recommend putting your mother into assisted living against her will. You said she can manage her personal care without much difficulty. If I am hearing you correctly you are concerned for her safety...
- I would talk with the occupational and physical therapist from his rehab setting to get an idea of the amount of assistance and best approach for him to carry out his self care tasks. It would also be helpful to find out how much help is provided in the assisted living facility...
- Where can I get a huverround repaired in Kokomo, In.?
- Hi Squirrel71, Thanks for your question!
If you don't see your answer:
- Post your own question for our experts and community to answer