Medicare Coverage of TMJ (Transmandibular Joint)


What It Is

Care by a physician or oral surgeon of conditions involving the transmandibular joint (TMJ) of the jaw.

What's Covered

Medicare Part B covers TMJ care, including surgery, if it's performed by a medical doctor or by a Medicare-participating non-M.D. oral surgeon -- as long as it's the type of care that medical doctors also provide.

If it's the type of care that dentists provide but medical doctors don't, it's considered dental care, and Medicare doesn't cover it.

If you have a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plan: Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plans, also called Medicare Advantage plans, must cover everything that's included in original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. But sometimes a Part C plan covers more, with extra services or an expanded amount of coverage. (Co-payments for Part C plans may also be different than those for Part A or Part B.) To find out whether your plan provides extra coverage or requires different co-payments for TMJ care, contact the plan directly.

What Medicare Pays

Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for covered TMJ care; patients are responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

Important: Regardless of the rules regarding any particular type of care, in order for Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, or a Medicare Part C plan to provide coverage, the care must meet two basic requirements:

  • The care must be "medically necessary." This means that it must be ordered or prescribed by a licensed physician or other authorized medical provider, and that Medicare (or a Medicare Part C plan) agrees that the care is necessary and proper. For help getting your care covered, see FAQ: How Can I Increase the Odds That Medicare Will Cover My Medical Service?

  • The care must be provided by a healthcare provider who participates in Medicare.

Was this medicareinformation helpful?

3 Comments So Far. Add Your Wisdom.

Anonymous said over 1 year ago

I agree with the people above! Sometimes I am in agony and all I can do is take pain killers. My jaw is a part of my body and this doesn't make sense at all!


over 1 year ago

WHY IS IT THAT THE JAW AND TEETH ARE NOT PART THE BODY THAT A MEDICAL DOCTOR CAN BILL MEDICARE? THEY DEAL WITH YOUR EARS, YOUR EYES YOUR BRAIN,ETC, BUT THE JAW BONE AND TEETH ARE NOT COVERED. THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR PEOPLE OF LITTLE MEANS WHO CAN NOT AFFORD EXPENSIVE TREATMENT OF TMJ


almost 2 years ago

Most of the treatment for TMJ is from an orthodontist, so the only way one can have any treatment covered is to have jaw surgery? What if you don't need jaw surgery , but appliances or braces. These are much less expensive than surgery, but no one seems to want to cover those for adults. This is disgraceful!


Default_avatar-hhd399496100

Want More Medicare Info?

< Browse Other Medicare Topics
Stay Connected With Caring.com

Receive the latest news and tips in your inbox

Join our social communities: