Reviews of Palos Hills Extended Care

64px-hh6b80fd52d1
Posted by missingmymom2008 January 02, 2013
1.0

My mother was transferred to this facility in 2007 during post op recovery from a valve replacement surg and complications. Although I had POA and would always do my homework on the facility my mother would receive care, I was having my son and gave temp poa to my brother. My mother had been in this facility for 3 days before I was able to see her, I was able to make it to the hospital she was leaving from to go the this facility and she looked great. She was talking and in overall good spirits. She left that facility on a thursday. By sunday, my mother was dehydrated, her eyes were stuck together by mucus, she was extremely weak and so happy to see me because she knew somehow I would get her out of there and that I did! I requested she be taken to an emergency room for evaluation and sure enough she had pneumonia and was admitted to the Hospital. This place at this time was not fit for patient care. I would not recommend it to others.

64px-hh6b80fd52d1
Posted by Lin S. November 21, 2012
3.0

My mother was in this facility for 8 months until her death after a broken hip. She was also on dialysis so there wasn't much of a choice. Most of the staff was caring, friendly and competent. I did find my mom on the floor, and another time had a misunderstanding with a staff member who needed to be reminded I had POA with regard to where she was to go for medical treatment. A couple of staff members were very good. I'm glad there were many family members going to check on her daily. They do accept Medicaid. It's a very old building and for the last 6 years have supposed to have started building a new facility. Most of the patients basically appeared to be adequately cared for.

Loading.gif
Posted by Caring201973 January 16, 2012
3.0

I don't have strong feelings about this nursing home one way or the other. I was told that this nursing home has new owners, that they have been trying to improve its appearance, but that they have not finished yet. That might explain why the lobby and front have new floors, but the dining room area (which also services as an an activity room)and the patient rooms look dull. The facility is a one story building in Palos Hills on a main drag (Roberts avenue, very near a good Polish deli/grocery). There is sufficient parking on the side of the building. The lobby is nice, albeit kind of small. There were several people sitting there the day I was there and all the chairs were occupied. Outside of the lobby, I could smell mildly bad odors (not terrible, but not great either). The rooms were typical for nursing homes, rather institutionalized I thought. Residents eat in the dining room which is really a multipurpose room -- nothing special here. It could be made to look much more inviting. As for the food, one resident said that on a scale of 1 - 10, she would give it a four or a five. For dinner there is a choice between two entrees. On this particular night it was either fish or meatloaf. What did impress me was one staff person who was exceedingly polite and sensitive to a resident. Another resident seemed to like one particular CNA. The residents I spoke to were chatty and seemed comfortable. Overall this seemed to be a rather ordinary nursing home but on its way toward improvement.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 145650

Health
1.0
Overall
1.0
Quality