Cost

Contact for details

Availability

Accepting inquiries

From Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay

At Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. That's why we provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities, and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our Alzheimer's and dementia care residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

We provide Alzheimer's and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing, and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs, and care to help stimulate recognition, recall, and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia, our professional care staff has learned to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. The Alzheimer's and dementia care programs at Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.

Horizon Bay Memory Care is a purpose-built memory care community dedicated to meet the needs of residents at every sate of their disease. Locally owners Thilo Best and Greg Igelhart's goal to develop a state of the art design that encourages independence and functionality without compromising resident's dignity. Horizon Bay Memory is managed by Brookdale, providing one of the best Memory Care programs in the country - Clare Bridge.

Reviews of Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay

Posted by Retired32 April 13, 2014

I have been happily married for 59 years and although our daughter and I noticed some loss of memory and comprehension in my husband when he reached his mid-seventies, it was a complete shock when he was recently diagnosed, at the age of 80, with severe Alzheimers and other dementias. When I had to make the painful decision to find an Alzheimers care center for him, I was lost and did not know where to turn. I found a center that had been locally recommended, and moved my husband there. It is so hard to be away from him - so hard to place your trust in someone you do not know to care for your loved one. My daughter and I visited several times a week and it was obvious he was not getting the care he needed. He was given multiple medications that resulted in either aggressive behavior or complete sedation. We would arrive on our visits to find him in the dark in his bedroom, curled up on the bed with stinking urine on the floor. There was no one really in charge of his medical care (one doctor didn't know what the other was doing) - and if we wanted better care, we had to find our own doctor who could come to the facility, as the facility pointed out they were not responsible for his medical care. When one serious incident occurred, no one at the center would return our phone calls. And so I made the painful decision to try to find a better place to move my husband to, and that is when I found Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay care center.

Horizon Bay has been a blessing for both me and my husband. In his first week there, he saw his primary physician (who made immediate med changes and ordered tests for him with results that were immediately acted on), the Horizon Bay-provided home care nurse, (who assessed and organized his individual physical, occupational eating and dressing, and psych therapy needs), and the on-site director of health and wellness, who is managing his nursing staff and daily care and assisting with getting him on the right medication. He has now settled into his bedroom, designed so that the bed faces the open bathroom (no doors to confuse him) and with comfortable furniture and a large window to let the light in. The director of maintenance introduced himself to us the first day and made some adjustments to improve my husband's room. The dining room chef introduced himself and talked about the dining room food choices. All the staff wear clearly identifiable uniforms/badges and are so friendly and helpful. They are both knowledgeable about Alzheimers and very professional. The facility is only 2 years old, but purpose-built for Alzheimers as a part of the Brookdale managed community organization, so this is a stable, well-run organization with a lot of history in senior health care. They are very well-organized and provided us lists, with cell phone numbers, of all their senior staff, doctors and therapists. Their integrated therapy service ensures a thorough approach to my husband's care - I do not have to go find good doctors on my own.

In the time that my husband has been at Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay, he has already gone from being "a difficult patient", who was either acting out or so sedated we couldn't wake him, to my husband again... someone who still has severe Alzheimers and limited capabilities, but who can walk and talk with me, share a meal in the dining room, smile and laugh, and hug me and tell me he loves me. He is cleanly dressed and groomed and hardly ever in his room but out socializing with the other residents. There are so many things he can't do now, so our time together is even more precious. I want to know that he will spend the rest of his life in a caring, bright, clean facility with the proper medical care and staffing attention for the best quality of life. I believe Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay provides that. Their director of health and wellness said it best - "we don't believe in behaviors - we believe in unmet needs". And with that attitude, they are finding and meeting my husband's needs - and giving me peace of mind for the first time in a very long while. I recommend Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay to you highly, if, like me, you face the terrible decision of where to care for your Alzheimer's or other dementias-affected loved one.

Posted by Caring83500550 January 18, 2014

We place my sister in Horizon Bay Memory Care because it is not too far from where I live. It is very nice, clean and new facility. We like the staff there. The food is good. They have three choices of entrees for dinner and if the residents ask, they will bring more. They have activities for the residents. They provide service, but as far doctor's appointment, I am the one who takes her.

Posted by caring0129 1 June 26, 2013

We are going into the Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay tomorrow and this is for my husband. The place is all good. I like the location and it is brand new. It looks like a spa and it is all very nice.

Posted by caring7171 August 14, 2012

They have a Clare Bridge memory approach system. I think it would be a very much different circumstance for my father than where he was. Right now, it's a five star impression. All of the staff is exceedingly friendly and very responsive. They have a lot of things and place where residents can still keep their pets that they want and they have someone there to take care of the pet. It's an extra fee but that's available.

Dad likes pet and we haven't decided whether the cat's going to go or not. They have a couple of dogs that are already there so we'll see what he wants after he gets set up there. It's a very modern facility. It's very secure. They have a more personalized approach so that they match activities with their client's interests. It's a much more individualized pathway.

They're not a skilled nursing facility but they are equipped to take care of things like when someone is not feeling well, they have a doctor that comes in to the home. They also have a person who can take labs for the resident there instead of the resident having to come out to a doctor's office. So there's a lot of conveniences that are built-in there than other assisted living facility. From what I've seen on my visit, I'm completely satisfied and I've asked a lot of probing questions and they seem to have plans and effects. They'll have dad on a urinary course and make sure they take him to the bathroom every 70 hours and all those things are already in place. They had a strong questionnaire about different signs for agitation and what do we do for comfort, and lots of other things so that they are better able to make that person feel comfortable.

Location of Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay

Features of Horizon Bay Memory Care by the Bay

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes

• 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: "It's Never Too Late" In Touch Computer Program for Residents

• We charge an entry fee
  • Lowest monthly rate: 4,900
  • Highest monthly rate: 6,450
  • Monthly rent is all inclusive
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: ALF

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Get Details