Top nearby Continuing Care Retirement Communities:

From Friendship Village Tempe

You enjoy life, and it shows. Meeting new people and exploring new places excites you. You don't worry about containing your enthusiasm. The future feels like the biggest gift you ever received - just waiting to be unwrapped. Don't wait another second to learn what our retirement community has in store for you! In Tempe, with good neighbors Mesa, Phoenix and Scottsdale nearby, this growing East Valley community is alive with activity and full of friendly faces. It's a place where you can pursue senior living on your own terms, confident in the continuing care a life care community provides. An Exciting Future is Unfolding

Call (480) 831-5000 or toll-free (800) 824-1112 to schedule a visit and tour of our retirement community in Tempe.

Reviews of Friendship Village Tempe

Posted by Jerry R July 21, 2014

My mother recently passed away at their hospice center and it is hard to explain how great the staff, nurses and doctors are. They all were so caring, always willing to answer questions and always asking if we needed anything. The resident pastor came by and gave Mom the most complete and wonderful passage. It was also good for us to let Mom pass on. Again this Friendship Village is very thing they say they and much much more. Thank you staff, nurses, doctor and pastor.

Posted by Steven4 August 01, 2013
4.0

We decided to place mom at the assisted living in Friendship Village and so far everything was doing good. The coordinator that we have is very good. My mom likes the food. They have an independent side and assisted living side. I think it's good because when one is on the independent side, they can have a transition to the assisted living side.

Posted by Harold2 June 14, 2013
4.0

I had the opportunity to visit Friendship Village a couple of times because my brother was there and it proves to be pretty well run. It is expensive but pretty well managed. We get a weekly deal that tells us what is going on and there are 4 to 5 different things are going on everyday like movies, lectures, exercise classes, and swimming. We also get one meal a day. They have three dining venues. They have courtyard buffet, a cafe, and fine dining. They also have a small bar in the complex and their own library. There are 300 apartments or so and about 200 cottages and then right across the street is a health care center owned by Friendship village.

I got around the place pretty well and there are no odors there and they have things going for those people all the time. 99% of the staff are very outgoing, very helpful, very courteous. We are not allowed to tip anybody, they do take up collection around Christmas for the employees but other than that there is no tipping or anything and it is very good. It's expensive to get into but if you transition into nursing care there is no change in cost and that's full nursing care, you pay for that when you pay for your upfront when you move in. Generally, they do pretty well. They try to help you look after your health.

Posted by mskelley January 16, 2013
1.0

My Aunt started out in cottages, then apartment, now Assisted Living. Recently her Trust Banker had to file a complaint with Adult Protective Services. We have been there several times and find it a pleasant facility. The quality of the food has improved. However, the lack of contact from Administration after Adult Protective Services was there is appalling and we have contacted them in person and by e-mail since the incident.

Posted by Standard check September 06, 2012
1.0

I would never reccomend this facility after our family has experienced both poor care, bad food, lack of response and dr that did not follow hospital reccomendations leading to the near death of our loved one. Surely they will also try to keep the 175,000.00 given when all these promises of fantastic life and care were made. Apt is dismal. If I could do 0 stars I would. We thought our loved one was going to have the best care what a horrible experience this has been.

Posted by kateQ June 21, 2012

This is an amazing, not for profit facility, which has been in busienss for 30 years, yet looks and feels like it's brand new. They will accomdate all of your health care needs as you age and you will never have to move again. I am looking for my parents, but would love to move here when I am of age.

Posted by mothwingkm May 26, 2012
4.0

There were different units in the facility at friendship village. They ranged from near independent onward to hospice. I spent most of my time observing the care in a unit called "Genesis", which was for people with severe memory related impairment due to age (i.e. Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia). My overall impression of the staff was that while they were certainly not neglectful, they seemed very jaded by the patients, and a few (although not all of them) seemed somewhat apathetic to the pain and plights of their patients. Most of the time patients were collected together in a room to watch television. The staff met the basic needs of the patients, such as bathing, feeding (the food did look like it was well prepared and appetizing) and toileting. However they felt it necessary to have the patients up out of bed for employee shift change, regardless of whether the patient was sleeping or not. I remember seeing some of the patients relatives and they seemed rather uncomfortable when another patient had an outburst. I think this is a rather natural occurrence, however it is my personal opinion that having a relative in a unit rather than at home can be much more difficult to adjust to, versus having their loved one be cared for in his or her home. There are, of course, pros and cons to that as well. But getting into that subject doesn't seem necessary for this evaluation.

Posted by Caring472844 November 16, 2011
4.0

I liked this facility right from the start. It had a security guard when you enter. It has a restraunt on the grounds seperate from the independent apartments that look like home, but with the safety and security needed for someone. There were activities going on and there were golf carts transporting people around. I really liked this facility.

Posted by Jessica Gallagher October 14, 2011

I visited Friendship Village in 2009 and I was given a tour of the entire facility and introduced to several staff members. It was an absolutely beautiful facility, with very well kept grounds and very large. I remember noticing how particularly large the bedrooms were for the residents. The dining room was unbelievable; I even was able to have lunch while I was there. The food choices were unreal, and the food was definitely what I remember most from the visit. The staff was so friendly, especially a woman named Teressa, I really enjoyed just visiting the place, I couldn't imagine how nice it would be to stay there. There were a lot of activities that were set up including games and dancing. I was not able to see any of the games going on, but there was definitely a lot of stuff going on for residents to do. I would definitely recommend this facility to anyone in Tempe AZ.

Posted by amieescotts0101 October 01, 2011

This facility services pretty much all care levels and the sections each level is placed in within the facility seems appropriate for each care level. Independent care, obviously has more freedom and space to roam around as oppose to memory care or skilled nursing, where the residents need to be in a smaller, familiar, more secure area. And the assisted living residents have an area that is a little like all of the other levels put together. The areas are perfectly set up to accommodate each level.

The memory care section is really easy to navigate, so the residents are able to have the freedom to walk around the area without becoming scared or lost. They have a lot of visual cues they use throughout the floor to help the residents realize where they are should they become confused. The memory care staff is really great at encouraging the residents to participate in the different activities and therapies offered, and the residents spend a lot of their time together. I like that the staff have little jobs and tasks for each of the residents to do everyday, it helps them feel independent and needed, it raises their self-confidence and it proves to them that they can still do lots of things.

Skilled nursing residents have access to all the tools necessary to become healthy and stronger. The staff is constantly doing rounds and checking on the residents. They are very good with the residents and they are great at encouraging the residents to push through whatever their ailment may be. They are good at motivating them to remain strong during physical therapy, bad side effects from medications, or post-op pain. They will sit and talk with the residents, or read to them, or watch TV with them if it helps calm them down or make them feel better. I can tell that the really care about the residents, and I think that overall the skilled nursing unit functions smoothly. If I had any complaint at all, it would be that I often see the staff members who are on-duty sitting at the nurse's station talking to each other about their personal lives, when they should be doing rounds and interacting with the residents.

The assisted living area is also really nice, it is always really clean, and the residents always seem busy doing something. They always have nice things to say about the facility and the staff. I've had many of them tell me that they like living there, and I have heard very few complaints from family members. Most of the residents are active in at least one or more of the scheduled activities and they appear to spend more of their time out of their apartments then in them. Overall, they seem pretty social and well cared for. I think that the staff do the best they can being that there are many more residents than staff members and they do their work professionally without letting the chaos make them rude to the residents or visitors.

Independent living at Friendship Village is I am told, a very exciting place to be. The residents are encouraged to always learn and try new things, and the staff make this possible by bringing in new activities all of the time or by scheduling fun field trips . The residents for the most part are very self-sufficient and they need very little assistance but I always hear the staff telling the residents they are there if needed. I have spoke with quite a few of the residents and they seem to all be very happy with Friendship Village. They really like all of the opportunities that are in place for them. They tell me that the staff are so accommodating, and they say it is so nice to be able to go out with friends, have fun all day, and be able to come home to a clean apartment, clean laundry, and not have to worry about anything, especially cooking.

One of the things that I like most about Friendship Village is that residents are be able to transfer between care level, if needed, very easily without a lot of headache. It makes for an easy transition and the residents don't become all stressed out Another great thing about the facility is that the monthly costs include ALL utilities, even cable and phone, which many facilities make you pay for yourself.

The only big complaint I have about this facility, is that I have seen on several occasions when new residents move in, the staff are really great for about the first week in helping the residents get settled in and comfortable. However, sometimes, for some residents, it is really hard to transition, and instead of offering them additional help and services, I have overheard the staff pretty much just pat them on the back, tell them they will get use to it eventually, and walk away. This is the worst way to approach the situation, because one, it can make the resident feel like something is wrong with them in not being able to adapt, and two, moving in to senior living is a huge change from the life they are used to and if they need additional help to adjust to their new life, then that help should be readily available to them, and they should not have to feel humiliated or self-conscious having to ask for it. There have been a couple of residents I have seen this happen to at this facility, and it took me quite some time in working with them and talking to them to get them comfortable living in the facility. I just wish the staff would have been the ones wanting to help those residents, instead of me.

Another great thing about this facility is the food! There are so many menu options, which I have personally tried a few of, and they are all amazing. They have so much flavor, nothing here is bland and boring like I see in many facilities. They make healthy food actually fun to eat, and the residents here eat it because they want to and not because it is good for them or they have to. I have had more residents, family members, staff, and visitors comment more about the food here, then any other facility. I would suggest to potential residents to visit the facility around mealtimes to test the food for yourselves. You will become hooked, I'm sure, so maybe leave that part for the end of your tour!

The facility as a whole seems to be ran pretty smoothly, sure there are some issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. I think that the facility would make a great home for all, regardless of care level, and I believe that taking a tour of the facility would really give you the best idea of if it the right choice for you or your loved ones.

Posted by Emmyrose August 23, 2011
4.0

This is a large multi-facility with a nursing home and two separate assisted living. One is memory care and other assisted. Twenty-four apartments are all 1 bedroom for memory care which are fully handicapped equipped with partial kitchens. There are 64 apartments in more independent assisted which are studios and one bedrooms. All handicapped equipped and about 480 square feet with partial kitchens. The memory care is one story and the other two story. The buildings are about five years old.

There are numerous courtyards and one in center between the buildings. These have walking paths, sitting areas, lots of flowers and greenery. Each apartment has a patio they may or may not share with their neighbor.

The entries are nicely decorated but simple. This is done to give more to the apartments.

There is an Lpn on duty 24/7 and on call nurses. There is a house doctor but doesn't come in. At the 64 apartments there are always 4 licensed caregivers. Family is encouraged to take or accompany there person to doctors appointments. There is a bus for transport however.

There is a restaurant style dining room. All food is cooked in kitchen. They serve three meals a day and snacks. There is a special but they have an alternate menu which allows a variety, The food is very good. Also, if they choose, across the way is a cafe and another restaurant where they can go at what is called the Kelly Center. Residents are allotted eight dollars per meal which is within their costs.

They have an activity director and the restorative assists. They go on outings at least once a week. They go to movies, restaurants, and various entertainment. They go shopping. There is the normal in house activities as bingo, cards, entertainment, parties. They have a swimming pool. As well as this, across the street at the Kelly Center, there is an exercise gym with sauna and spa.

The staff seems very caring and residents happy there.

This is a very nice, clean facility with lots of active options.

Posted by AzDesert1 August 17, 2011

My grandmother is in this excellent assisting living facility. I really enjoy going to visit her daily. And each time I go visit the lawn/landscaping is always so nice. Another thing I like is how the community is gated and security is always available to see who is entering and leaving the building.

And I really like how the community is set up. It look as if it's an apartment community. And what's really nice is the staff members come around to check on the residents and there is housekeeping available when needed. Also, there is a onsite nurse that can come from any campus to help if needed.

My grandmother really enjoys going to the cafe inside the main building. This area is setup with different dinning places, bar/grill, banquet hall, and a gift shop. I really like this area because I am able to eat with my grandmother. Guess what if you forget your wallet you there is an ATM available inside the building.

I really enjoy going to visit this nice clean facility.

Location of Friendship Village Tempe