Top nearby Continuing Care Retirement Communities:

Reviews of Asbury Methodist Village

Posted by Caring83229650 April 21, 2014
3.0

We moved here to Asbury 15 years ago. It is a very large facility. There are five apartment buildings here. We live in the shortest one, which is only five stories tall. They have one-bedrooms, two-bedrooms, and some even have three-bedrooms. We have a washer and dryer in our apartment. After 15 years, the food is not good as it was. The quality of food has greatly dropped off. It is not as fancy as it used to be. We have one meal a day that is either lunch or dinner. In terms of activities, my wife is involved with the Christian's Women's Club and the Gardener's Club. However, I think what they could improve on is the attitude of the upper staff people. They're not friendly and happy. The interesting thing is that the housekeepers and all those kinds of people along those lines, they send them to a school that they have here to teach them to be happy and friendly and speak to the residents and all those kinds of things. Unfortunately, it is the upper level that should be going to the school and not the lower ones.

Posted by Caring79340150 February 28, 2014
4.0

Asbury Methodist is very good. I'm very pleased with it. The staff is excellent. They have lots of activities, trips, lots of lectures, concerts, they bring people in, and lots of physical activity as well. I did a lot of research and I knew the medical directors. They offer ranges of options.

Posted by Melissa11 February 13, 2014

My mom was in Asbury for around two weeks before she passed away. She was in the Wilson Health Center. Asbury was near my office and very close to where my brother and I both lived. We were very happy with the place. It was very clean and it looked like the food was good. The care was unbelievable, the nurses and the doctor on staff were great.

Posted by farfromhome January 31, 2014

My mother-in-law is in Asbury Methodist Village for three weeks now. It is a nice place and near where my sister-in-law lives. The facility is really clean and nice. The staff seems to be really nice. She likes them and everyone seems to be very helpful. She likes the residence and has made a lot of friends. I haven't eaten there but my mother-in-law likes the food. She is staying in an apartment. I know they have lots of activities but she has not been there long enough to be involved in the activities. She's very satisfied and happy with the community. I will recommend them to others.

Posted by Caring57682350 October 31, 2013

Asbury Methodist was lovely and wonderful. If it wasn't for the money, that's where we'd probably go. They have a lot of activities. They have a big, beautiful swimming pool with all kinds of swim and exercise classes. They have a gym, they have a theater and they also take you all over on trips.

Posted by siona October 29, 2013

My mother stayed here twice in the Wilson Nursing building and the care was excellent. She died here while in hospice care and the majority of the staff were wonderful to us.

Posted by Alice11 September 25, 2013

It was a nice facility. The rooms were fine and the staff was very accommodating. They had lots activities and I would recommend them to others.

Posted by Caring060507 June 13, 2013
4.0

Asbury Methodist Village looked very good. It was one of the top for senior citizens. It's very well respected. We're very impressed when we visited the facility. The staff were competent and they seemed to know what they're doing. Residents seemed very happy and there's always something to do. They're very pleased with activities, like swimming in their pool, ping pong, card games, yoga and various classes. They also have field trips like going to theatres. Everything was fine, however, the place was way too expensive for us.

Posted by Jean18 May 11, 2013

My mother stayed at Asbury Methodist Village and it was near my house. It was convenient for me to visit her anytime. She had an apartment complete with a bedroom, living room, kitchenette and a large bath. The staff were amazing, caring and smart. There was a nursing staff 24/7 and their vital signs were checked once a week. The residents had two options for every meal and my mom said the food was delicious.

Posted by Carlos2 April 30, 2013
4.0

We visited Asbury Methodist Village as we looked for a facility. The apartments were a little cramped and it was not spacious enough for me and my wife. They had various activities available. And the staff were very amenable and accommodating.

Posted by Caring5940 January 05, 2013

Asbury Methodist was the one that had the most things that we're looking for. We've only met the marketing people because we haven't moved in. But I've been very pleased. All my questions were answered. One of the reasons I preferred this place was we do not have to take the evening meal. And that means the monthly fee becomes much less because we're doing our own food. We have a very different pattern to our life. We don't eat from 5 to 6:30, we tend to eat later. So for us it was perfect because we can do our food when we want to. That's not possible with the other places.

Posted by TripleS October 17, 2012
4.0

The facility that I volunteered at was maintained very well. Janitors were constantly scrubbing and sanitizing the facility as to not allow the spread of germs. The facility had a large staff and thus the nurses weren't forced to work long shifts which is the case in many other assisted living facilities. There were three square meals a day alongside various snacks at the resident's request. Hand sanitation devices were located through out the facility in each hallway and living area. This provided for a much safer and germ free living and working space. Vending machines were made accessible to the residents family and friends and to the volunteers. The staff treated each resident with the utmost respect and care although in some cases the residents were ignored. The facility also contained a beautiful yard where residents were allowed to relax. There was a large cafeteria that provided meals for the guests and residents throughout the day.

Posted by Dashrike September 22, 2012
4.0

The facility was as close to an ideal community for my elderly grandmother. Because of complications due to her diabetes she had a hard time getting around injecting herself with medication and preparing nutritional meals for herself. In this community she was able to maintain her independence by having her own apartment while still having constant supervision. The home included a meal plan that allowed my grandmother to eat prepared meals in a dinning facility with other residents. The dining facility was very formal with set menus and waiters in ties. It made my grandmother feel important at each and every meal. In addition it forced her to socialize which was something that she avoided before she went to he home. Also, the security at the home was top notch without being overly restrictive. A visitor had to sign in to visit a person in the facility but if you were a frequent visitor as I was the facility streamlined the sign in process so it did not feel overly cumbersome. I remember my grandmother telling me that she felt very secure even in the facility without feeling like she was in a prison.

Posted by Caring410 September 06, 2012

Asbury Methodist Village is huge, like a campus. It was nice, we got a tour and everything. The apartments are little old, but its' nice, they had parking and everything. It's both independent and assisted living. But it was the type where you buy in, it wasn't a rental. My mother liked it, but she's 89, and she said, "I'm not going to live that much longer. Buying isn't worth it." They have many different buildings. They have buildings for people living independently and for the assisted living, and I think they also have nursing home care, but we didn't see that.

We talked to some people there and they seem to really like it. The two downsides, you had to buy into it and mom didn't want to put out that kind of money, she wanted a monthly rental place. And the other thing was it was far enough away from where she lives right now. She doesn't know the area, so she would have to give up driving. She's kind of too old to learn the area.

Posted by Thompsonsm4 June 29, 2012
3.0

The main building is getting old and does not give off a warm feeling, but they are currently working on renovations. From what I can tell the residents seem to enjoy staying there for the most part as many activities are provided. Since I have only toured the facility I cannot speak to the true nature of the staff and how they treat the residents at the facility. I did not taste the food but it did not appear to look very appetizing and I hope they upgrade that in the future to give the residents something to look forward to eating. I was happy to see that the company brought land around the main building to house younger residents of the community (still 65 and up). The homes are very nice, and bring a new energy to the area. Most people complain about nursing homes, luckily I have not heard too many complaints about Asbury Methodist Village.

Posted by Kate5 May 22, 2012
4.0

I visited this facility and think it was good. It certainly had a lot things available and it was neat. The only problem I had seen when I went there was the people who were immobile, were still in bed. Well, i mean it's not the facility or I might have gotten there early. It was just that I was thinking "oh it would be this nice place for my mother would be up and they'd get her out of bed". I've worked in a rehab facility and in a nursing home before, so maybe my expectations were up. But even though its no picnic and patients complain, they should be gotten up. I didn't like the fact that people are being in bed all the time or looking up at the wall and looking at the ceiling. Otherwise everything is neat and nice. The staff are really good people so I would still recommend this facility.

Posted by Roqaiya_S May 18, 2012

Building itself is very clean and seems comfortable to live in. Very eary to get around. Staff is always planning events and activities for the residents, and all workers are respectful and friendly towards the residents.The wants and needs of the residents are taken care of as much as possible.

Posted by gingermarie May 16, 2012

Before visiting this facility, I had heard very good things about it. Not only had I read positive reviews about it online, I also heard from more senior nursing students that it was an excellent facility. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the staff was. Even the residents seemed very welcoming to see new faces. They all seemed to be happy about their living situation. The nursing staff seemed to all be very busy at all times. I think this is because they are very attentive at the needs of the residents. The facility was nicely laid out, spacious, and stimulating for the residents. There were paintings on the wall, and the hallways were colorful. The social workers seemed very active in this facility. They were eagerly working with the residents and playing games, keeping them active with trained dogs, etc. It seemed to be a very pleasant environment. After I finish my nursing training, I would feel honored to be working at this facility because I was so impressed with it.

Posted by slamjam75 March 11, 2012
4.0

I frequently visited my great grandmother at this facility. The rooms were spacious, the food was good, and the staff was friendly. I never had any serious issues with my experience and as far I as knew, my grandmother was happy as well. I will say that she would have benefited from a greater number of extra services such as transportation, group sessions, and exercise regimens. It seemed that the residents were expected to handle all outside matters on their own. As my great grandmother was approaching 100 year, this was clearly impossible. As a result, we had to take care of all of her shopping and outside needs. This is only a small complaint however, and overall her experience was very good. Eventually we had to move her out of the home because she needed more constant attention, but those services were offered by the facility. We chose not to utilize their services for this need because of the high cost and the desire to have her live closer to us.

Posted by Worriedrelative January 14, 2012
1.0

Be very careful! Asbury buries clauses in their leases that make it very difficult or impossible to obtain a refund of the entrance fee. After more then 1 year, the family is still waiting for the funds return with no end in site, following my relatives passing.

Posted by Amy_Lou September 10, 2011

A very nice community, like a college without exams. Asbury provide lectures and other activities to keep residents mentally active, a park-like campus with wildlife, meal plans are available, or residents can cook in their apartments. They have gyms, a TV studio to prepare their own programs, various hobbies, community gardens, and is within walking distance of a library and mall. I'm thinking of going there when I retire.

Posted by Tom2 September 01, 2011
4.0

This is a huge facility where a number of people from our church have gone when they need to move to a supportive environment. The housing options range from a 3 bedroom villa to nursing home care. The campus is extensive and there are a wide variety of clubs and activities. The folks we have known have been very happy with their move and as their health deteriorates they have received the care they need. It is a place where it is easy to make friends and become well connected.

Posted by ChrisA July 27, 2009

Wonderful place

We have family members that live at Asbury Methodist Village and it is amazing. When we visit, we feel like we are at a resort. We can swim in the pool or walk the park. My aunt and uncle have a million friends and are never home! It is a beautiful place to live.

Location of Asbury Methodist Village