The Memory Center Virginia Beach

The Memory Center Virginia Beach (800) 385-2527

Reviews of The Memory Center Virginia Beach

Memory Care Reviews for The Memory Center Virginia Beach

September 30, 2015

The Memory Center was very nice, I liked the sizes of the rooms, especially the public area. The house opened up to the garden, and the arrangements made it real easy for the people to live there feel they?re in a very good environment. They had an ice cream stand -- which opened in the afternoon -- and a store they could use, which made it more like a little village.

March 02, 2015

By nightbloomer

Caring for people with Alzheimer Disease has to be one of the most stressful jobs in the health care field, yet The Memory Center staff manages to do it with a gentleness not found in many places. If a problem occurs I have found them always to be able to correct it. I have been very pleased with my interactions with everyone.

February 27, 2015

By Cheryl106845350

The Memory Center was a beautiful facility. They had tons of things for the people to do and it just looked amazing. My parents didn't end up moving here yet, but I think if I have to choose one, this is the one I would like to have chosen depending on finances, of course. The staff seemed very friendly.

February 06, 2015

By Arange

What an amazing community for those needing dementia care! The staff to patient ratio is the highest I've seen and they couldn't be friendlier. The community was built in 2008 but looks like it opened yesterday and they are doing renovations just to get ahead of the game! Kudos to an exceptional community that has raised the bar for all similar facilities!

February 02, 2015

By lmvwhite

The Memory Center staff is top-notch. Kind and caring, they are always willing to go above and beyond, treating every resident and family as if they were one of their own relatives.

November 07, 2014

By Kate17

My grandmother has been receiving care at The Memory Center for a few months now. I cannot express enough gratitude to the amazing caring staff who cares for her as if she is their own family. Alzheimer's is terrible but knowing that when my grandmothers family is not there she is being cared for at the highest of levels. Thank you.

September 08, 2014

By TMC090814

The Memory Center is such a nice, and well laid out, facility. The Centre Court is set up like a small town or village, and you can see interaction with the residents in the Centre Court and inside the wings of the facility. Well locked, very secure for residents. I felt very comfortable at The Memory Center.

September 08, 2014

By NancyKen

My wife has been a resident since January 2014 and she has experienced exceptional care in all areas. I would highly recommend this facility because of the competent staff and activities director's. The activities program is the best I have seen in any facility I have visited. The food and medical care is exceptional. Every promise made has been received and I am very happy with her total care.

September 06, 2014

By LWL

My Mother has been a resident of the Memory Center for the past four years. During this period she has received excellent care from a caring, loving, and professional staff. When issues have arisen(and they have been minor), I have always found the management receptive to addressing them in a prompt manner. The facility provides excellent, nutritional meals, frequent entertainment, a clean, safe environment, and most importantly, peace of mind for the family.

September 05, 2014

By samantharae

The Memory Center is a amazing organization. I have visited the facility several times. Whether it was taking Charles The Monarch in for "Pet Therapy", book signings, the first purple ambulance, or even taking my children there for trick or treating it never ceases to amaze me the thought, love and involvement of the staff there. Every program, event seeks to enrich the lives of the residents there.

August 31, 2014

By Loved One13

Very caring staff. Food and activities are good. Aesthetically beautiful environment. But the family support gets an F! Father was put in 2 undergarments rather than changing the one. He went days without a shower. Most recently found him in the same outfit for 2 days. This is an assisted living facility despite claims and marketing that they are end of life. They don't have the staff to tend to people with advanced stages. The director lacks empathy. The "bank" and convenience stores are never open. The regular family meetings they advertise don't happen unless the family forces is and then are treated like you are wasting their time. Condescending geriatrician in charge of the residents care. A lot must have changed since the other reviews in 2012. Hope they get some new management and this place steps up to their potential. Very disappointing experience!

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our caring staff and the beautiful design of our community. I apologize for the impression you received in regards to family support. We are committed to our residents and family members and strive to deliver the quality of life our residents deserve as well as the support to family members. To help meet that expectation our management team has completed the program for Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Care offered by the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners. This program and education is recognized as the highest standard in Alzheimer’s and dementia care. Topics of the training included sensitive care, psychosocial support of the families and education in areas of end of life care for dementia patients. We continue to educate our team and staff about this unfortunate disease and with these experiences we inspire to add meaningful life to one’s years and ease the burden of their love ones.
-Donna Callihan, Executive Director

January 30, 2014

Mom moved in December 14th last year at The Memory Center. My mom is not very mobile. She also has Alzheimer's. The facility is laid out nicely. They have a little town area where they can have the option of being away from their bedroom and just coming and seeing a group, e.g., listening to music or what-have-you. They have activities for their residents. What I like most about this facility is the peace of mind knowing that she's safe. She had in-home care before and we're not doing that anymore. Now, with this facility, I don't have to worry about going to her house or having strangers walking in her house.

December 16, 2012

By bbbVA

If I could give the Memory Center 10 stars, I would. My father passed away last week after living at the Memory Center for 2 years. Instead of suffering through the difficult later days of Alzheimer's , he joined a family at the Memory Center and THRIVED. Every detail of the facility is designed with a thought toward making the residents feel as comfortable and independent as possible - far more than every other home we visited. The village and neighborhood set up allow for the residents to move freely and safely while being greeted by name by every staff member. The physical set up of the Memory Center will be obvious when you visit. What may not be as obvious is the love and caring provided by the nursing staff. It is not fake or forced - the Memory Center somehow manages to hire the most amazing people that bring a warm spirit to their work. On my father's last day, our family gathered by his bed. Throughout the course of the day, we were awestruck to see almost every member of the nursing staff - both on and off duty - come by to say goodbye to my dad with tears in their eyes. They didn't avoid the room; they brought friendship, love and tenderness to him in his final hours. They were genuinely saying goodbye to a friend.

March 06, 2012

By virginialette

When I visited this facility I was pleased in every single way. The director of nursing was nice enough to walk me through the building on a tour. All exterior doors are locked & require a code to enter & exit the building to keep the Alzheimers residents from wandering out. The whole building is set up like a little town. It has its own ice cream shop, barber shop & everything. The interior town is set up like it is from the '40s or '50s to make the resident feel more comfortable when their mind had them believing that they are still in their younger years. The building is kept very clean & all of the staff is very nice. The direct care staff are encouraged to wear street clothes so that their uniforms will not intimidate the residents & make them feel that they are in a nursing facility. The Memory Center is beautiful from outside to in & is located very near Virginia Beach General Hospital if any sickness or injuries occurred. I was very pleased with my tour.
See all Memory Care reviews (22) See fewer reviews

Questions about The Memory Center Virginia Beach

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Staff at The Memory Center receive monthly training on a variety of topics that assist them in caring for our residents.

What programs or activities does The Memory Center Virginia Beach offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our Activities program is grounded in the Montessori-based principles of respect, dignity, independence, and choice. All activities are designed with three A’s in mind to ensure they are: 1. Available across all levels of dementia 2. Accessed and easily implemented by all staff 3. Adaptable to fit a resident's age, interest, or other abilities Activities at The Memory Center include: Music: Dancing, playing instruments, or listening to music while holding objects such as flags, director batons, maracas, drums, bells, or tambourines to encourage motion. Lyrics are projected on our movie screen with pictures or icons to help with memory. We also feature entertainers representing various types of music. Poetry & Games We utilize poetry, trivia, board games, reading, writing, and storytelling to promote and encourage memory.

Costs for The Memory Center Virginia Beach

Photos of The Memory Center Virginia Beach

Services and Amenities of The Memory Center Virginia Beach

• Housing Extra: Shared Living

• Pharma

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

• Licenses: VA/VDSS

About The Memory Center Virginia Beach

The Memory Center, Virginia Beach is the region’s premier facility specializing in the care of patients with Alzheimer’s and dementia. We believe the challenging conditions of an aging brain should be met with a caring, interactive community designed around the individual. The latest in science, nutrition, and interactive therapies proved to extend life are part of our philosophy. Our safe and secure daily structured activities provide meaningful purpose to those with Alzheimer’s and dementia while simultaneously supporting their families and loves ones. The Memory Center is built around our original Town Center and Neighborhood layout which provides a sense of home and features progressive daily programming and activities designed to help residents celebrate life each day.

At The Memory Center Virginia Beach, our responsibility is to provide care for our residents not to calculate the time it takes to assist them with their activities of daily living (ADL’s).

We understand that an individual’s needs can change daily, but that doesn’t mean your bill should too. To us, an individual's well-being always comes first. Our all-inclusive pricing provides peace of mind to families related to the expenses and allows them to focus on other things. Below you will find exactly what is and is not included in the pricing model for our Virginia Beach facility.

We charge a set monthly fee which includes:

• Private or semi-private suite based on families request
  • Bathrooms in each suite with showers
  • Three nutritious meals daily
  • Daily snacks and ice cream socials
  • Memory boxes available to help stimulate meaningful memories of their life
  • Utilities to include: Cable, Telephone & Wi-Fi
  • Housekeeping and laundry services
  • Maintenance of building and gardens
  • Scheduled Outings with the Activities Department
  • Items acquired while visiting the General Store
  • Personal Assistance
  • Professional staff to assist with daily activities (ADL’s) (bathing, dressing, eating, and toileting)
  • Medication management by our certified medication technician
  • Health monitoring by a Registered Nurse
  • Medical oversight by a physician trained in geriatric care
  • Full schedule of activities including our Memories in Motion program
  • Physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy with a physician prescription as needed
  • Hospice/End of Life Care provided by local Hospice agencies when needed

Items which incur an additional charge are:

• Incontinence supplies
  • Long distance telephone services
  • Salon services
  • Transportation to individual appointments

The fees at The Memory Center Virginia Beach are re-evaluated yearly. They increase based on growing costs for staff, fuel, food, and other related items. You will receive notice at least 30 days in advance before any increases.

If you are interested in learning more about our Virginia Beach facility and our pricing, we encourage you to contact us. We’ll be happy to answer all of your questions. If you don’t have time to make it out for a tour or you live out of town we recommend taking a virtual tour.

Map of The Memory Center Virginia Beach