The Virginian

Reviews of The Virginian

Independent Living Reviews for The Virginian

May 13, 2021

By Sharon

In The Virginian, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I got to tour this for my dad. The rooms were nice, but the refrigerator was very small, and low to the ground. The facility was very nice, and the dining room was nice, too. They offered lots of activities like crafts, social events, outings, and church services. The location was very nice, peaceful, and pretty natural.

March 19, 2021

By Nicole

The Virginian was very beautiful. Everybody was very friendly. It would definitely be a nice place to live. I think they did everything. I went to some of the rooms, and I was really impressed. They were very nice. I went to the cottages, and they were really nice, too. The staff was fabulous and very nice. It was very clean. They had a movie theater in there, they had a hair salon, and they were getting loaded up to go shopping when we got there.

January 25, 2021

By Steve

The difference between The Virginian and the other one that we looked at was the layout and lighting. There was much more natural light at The Virginian. Services and everything were pretty much identical, but the room sizes and layouts were significantly less at The Virginian. They had the movie theater, the activity area, and they offered three meals a day. The staff during the tour was friendly, cooperative, informative, and answered questions. It felt more like a hotel.

February 19, 2020

By Virginia

We think that The Virginian is the most probable place for us. The apartments were wonderful and we even considered a studio unit there. The mix of ages was far much better than the last place we visited, and I saw nothing that was disturbing. I liked the packages of amenities that the staff has put together, like the PT coming in and being in the building, the relationship with Sheltering Arms so you can use the pool and equipment there, and having the PAs coming into the building. Those things as well as the age group are what is driving us there.

January 03, 2020

By Melody

I toured the Virginian and it was a very positive experience. They were attentive, informative, and they gave me a folder with a lot of information. They have very nice apartments, and it would have been well suited for my father. I thought the dining area was impressive, it was very clean, the food had a good presentation, and they seemed to accommodate different diets. It was very pleasant looking, very clean, and very well kept.

Hi Melody, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback on our community.

May 17, 2019

By Cathy

We checked the The Virginian and we liked it. We thought it was a good option for my mom had her health been better. They have good services it seems, a very good staff, and pretty good accommodations. If my mom had been able, we probably would have given The Virginian a try. The person who gave us the tour was very good. She was very confident. Overall, I thought it was a good option for people who can live independently.

August 13, 2018

By Visitor2018

My 79 year-old father and I visited this facility over the weekend. We have visited one other Holiday Retirement community in the area. From a facilities layout perspective, our overall impression was good. Lots of natural light, furniture and interiors were clean, up to date. There was no one on staff to greet us (reception desk was empty), but one of the housekeeping staff members was nice enough to tell us a bit about the facility. We were there approximately a half hour and visited every floor and the dining room (lunch was being served at the time. When we left the lobby reception desk was still empty, and there wasn't a note or sign letting us know who to call. I would definitely recommend a visit and call ahead to schedule a tour.

August 06, 2018

By Page

The Virginian is a beautiful place in a great location. The staff is nice, and the food is good. My mom likes joining in the activities. It costs a lot of money, though.

May 31, 2018

By kbloom

Seems to be a very friendly environment. While visiting a relative of a friend, we were walking on the main level which is actually the second floor to go Visit. We were stunned by the odor of cigarette smoke. We thought it was a no smoking facility. We were told the pavilion at the front entrance is where residents go if they smoke. My concern was the danger because my friend’s relative uses oxygen and we noticed other residents had “no smoking/oxygen notices” near their door. We went to talk to management but no one was in the office or at the receptionist’s desk. (It was lunchtime) The apartment was nice, spaciousness and enough room for essentials. Kitchen had plenty of cabinets, countertop, fridge and small sink. Bathroom was an adequate size with handicapped bars for safety. There is a nice size window in living area and bedroom. Really nice if you like natural light. The apartment I went into did not have patio but my friend said some do. If I was living at the Virginian I would request an apt with a patio. Had a large dining room and it was full when we walked by the balcony overlooking it. My recommendation would be five stars but smelling the odor on the main level was unpleasant. Hopefully management will read this review, investigate and solve this issue.

January 27, 2018

By Don

The location of The Virginian is not far from where we lived before, so everything around it is pretty familiar. The people seemed to be very happy. We liked it. We ate several good meals there. We wanted a two-bedroom, but there aren't any available, so we're moving into a one-bedroom initially. The rooms are notlarge, which kind of disappointed us. Otherwise, all the facilities were very good. The staff as well as the residents seemed very good. They have a library, a movie theater, and a very good dining room. They seemed to have a lot of activities, and we've been to one or two of them to see what they were like. Everything seemed to be excellent.

July 09, 2017

By jennykay1975

. The majority of the residents are in wheelchairs or using walkers. They are unable to walk without assistance and there is only one small elevator. If there was a fire! ????I don't know how they meet the fire /health codes. The smell is rather unpleasant as well as the food. Managers change constantly and no one is one site at night.

Hi jennykay1975, my name is Katie, and I work for Holiday. I'd like to thank you for reaching out to provide us this feedback. You raise some concerns and comments we'd love the opportunity to speak more about and address with you. In fact, our Resident Relations team is ready and standing by, and would love to hear from you so we can share the emergency plan we have in place, along with other safety measures we have designed and implemented with the safety of our residents top of mind. We can be reached by email anytime at resident.relations@holidaytouch.com, or phone at 800-370-8331, and hope to hear from you very soon! Thank you, jennykay1975, hope and look forward to hearing from you very soon --Katie

April 25, 2017

By Virginia583387

I liked the building of The Virginian but not when I walked inside some of the rooms because they smelled really bad. I saw a lot of people in wheelchairs, and it broke my heart. The representative was a 5 because she was thorough, very knowledgeable, and took the time to help me. She was really awesome and very attentive. I want to live in a place where the person managing it is just like her.

January 11, 2017

By Fred161221

The Virginian was small. The food seemed to be good. I have eaten there twice, and both times the meals were decent. The 1 bedroom apartment that I saw was smaller than I wanted, and they also showed me a 2 bedroom unit, but I didn’t like the layout. The staff seemed nice, and the pricing is reasonable -- less expensive than where I am living right now.

July 11, 2016

By Christopher800453

The Virginian is good so far. It’s pretty positive, clean, and neat. The staff seemed to be very friendly and helpful. The food was good. They had church services and bingo.

June 08, 2016

By Frank514376

The Virginian seemed a little more affordable to us. We had a good visiting experience at this place and would be the place we would choose. The staff was friendly and absolutely accommodating. They invited us back for a free meal and all that, just for us to get more acquainted with the place, but we're just not ready for that yet. They had an exercise room, a very nice theater, and the whole thing was very attractive. The dining area looked pretty good to me, and it smelled good.

April 25, 2016

By Patricia123965250

The Virginian was very bright and had a lot of light, which I liked. They did have two full-time managers as far as I can remember. The recreational staff was there, and I talked with them. The rooms were a bit smaller than the other place I saw, but it was still a nice size with very nice windows. The recreational activities were kind of boring because it was sort of the same stuff every day, and it wasn’t a lot of variety.

September 25, 2015

By Aaron6

I was very impressed with The Virginian. I actually wanted to make it mom’s place until she fell and stayed in the hospital. I realized that she could be there for a year or so and then we have to move because of her care needs. But it was very nice. The head staff there could help with assistance as far as medication. The chef was excellent, and I really liked their recipes. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was very good, and the monthly rent was well below.

March 28, 2014

By Ashley9

My mother-in-law is at The Virginian. It was actually the closest one that we could find within our price range. The staff is great. The rooms are also great. My mother-in-law is in a one-bedroom, which is pretty spacious and very nice. They have quite a few activities that my mother-in-law does all day long. She does bingo, yoga, and some exercise classes. She has never exercised before in her life, so that is pretty cool. They also have movie nights and games that they play. Regarding the food though, she doesn't like it. She says it is always cold or bland.

January 31, 2014

By Caring78207150

My in-laws are now in The Virginian. We chose this facility because they meet their needs over and beyond. Also the price is great. The facility is clean. My in-laws are doing very well. They have adjusted very well there. Also they moved them in with no extra charge. Their room is gorgeous. There's a cathedral ceiling. It's beautiful. The staff is very nice. They're caring people. They would call their residents by their name. They have lots of activities. They have karaoke. They have aerobics that they do in their chairs. They have different people come like they might be people that service hearing aids and also they have musical groups that come in as well. They have church services for different denominations on different times. They have a little bus that takes them to different places. They even take them to their doctors' appointments. Regarding food, sometimes it is good, but sometimes it is plain. Overall, what I like best about this facility is not being worried about my in-laws and the security of having staff there 24/7.

October 28, 2013

By Carl5

Very intimate environment with about 108 units. Friendly and professional staff, the managers are servers at the meals which are served on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor facility. Very veteran friendly, utilities and cable included in this modestly priced facility located adjacent to an assisted living facility making it convenient for a resident whose level of care may change from indepdendent to a higher level requiring assistance.

September 26, 2013

By John66709750

She chose Virginian because the facility was something that suites her needs. It provided three meals a day. It's a ground floor living facility and that is good to her because she couldn't get upstairs very easily as mobility is a problem for her. She got a two bedroom apartment although it was a downsize place for her, but still reasonable. It's a really nice place and it got some transportation. It is also close to a rehab facility. I would recommend this facility to others if they were looking for an independent living facility.

September 19, 2013

By mahartley

I wasn't particularly impressed with The Virginian, although that has a lot to do with my preconceived thoughts about these kind of places. The facilities was good. The setting was nice. The staff was very pleasant. They have basically the activities that I'm interested in, although I wish they have a swimming pool. I had a meal there and it was the most awful meal I ever had in my life. Otherwise the place and the accommodations were fine. The only issue I had with it was when I was dealing with their sales person. There was this sales pitch that made me think that what they really want is for me to be there so they can have some more money. I couldn't get past that feeling. Then the bad food reinforced that idea - they want money but they don't want to feed people edible food! Good food is very important to me, so that's certainly enough to turn me away from a place if I'm going to count on them for my meals.

September 22, 2012

By Terrie 1

Nicely appearing facility, well kept. My parents have made friends here because of the scheduled meal time, when everyone goes and eats at the same time. The meals are less than what I would hope for, but my parents are reasonably satisfied. The staff is very friendly. My parents came from anther state, so this kind of setting where meals are a part of the package are worth the additional money because it has created social connections for them.

Questions about The Virginian

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at The Virginian. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does The Virginian offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at The Virginian exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does The Virginian offer to independent living residents?

If The Virginian accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does The Virginian work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for The Virginian

Photos of The Virginian

Services and Amenities of The Virginian

• Housing Extra: Cottages, Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup, Walk In Tub

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Private

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About The Virginian

The Virginian is a senior housing facility in Richmond, VA that offers residents personalized care and attention. The Virginian's staff strives to meet the needs of every resident, with housekeeping, linen services, fun activities and excursions off-site. With three delicious meals served daily in the beautiful dining room and a variety of classes and programs available for residents to attend, this community is the new extension of the family.

Map of The Virginian