Holiday Dogwood Terrace Richmond, VA

Reviews of Holiday Dogwood Terrace

Independent Living Reviews for Holiday Dogwood Terrace

August 10, 2021

By Cheryl

Dogwood Terrace was real nice and real clean. The rooms were good size. We got to see a couple of different styles and units. Everything looked real well. We talked to one of the people that live there, and she said she loved it. She loved living there. It's a very nice place. The person we were supposed to meet wasn't there. From what we were told, whoever I talked with to make the appointment didn't relay to the facility that we were coming, so the lady we spoke with actually took us around. She was real knowledgeable and real nice. She could only tell us so much because she didn't do that on a regular basis. They had some menus laying there, so I picked up one. They had the calendar sitting there also for the whole month of activities and stuff, and it looked like they had a lot going on there. She showed us all the rooms that were there and what they had and could do. It was very nice. They didn't have a lot of grounds there; but they had a sidewalk all the way around the building, so they could walk on a surface instead of having to walk on a dirt path, which is good.

July 05, 2021

By Cathy

The staff at Dogwood Terrace was very friendly and knowledgeable. The facility was excellent. It's everything you could want. The upkeep was excellent. They said I could come for lunch, but I had other appointments, so I couldn't do that. I didn't check the menu, but I'm familiar with Holiday properties, and I know the food is excellent. They have every amenity that you could ask for. Everything's included. It would be my first choice if I could afford it, which I can't.

June 20, 2021

By Reviewer RC#0524

Dogwood Terrace was very nice, very clean, and very organized. I was greeted by the people who knew I was coming. We had a nice tour, and they were absolutely fantastic. They were knowledgeable about everything, and their answers to all the questions I asked made sense. They were very honest and very forthright. They were absolutely excellent for Dogwood Terrace. The room I saw was very nice. I just wanted to have more size, since I'm coming out of a 2,600-square-foot home. Their menu wasn't that good, but that's a personal thing. I'm Jewish and so I'm not into the foods that they were serving, but generally, they would be very good for their market, just not for me. I saw people in wheelchairs wheeling themselves around, others were walking or sitting on benches observing the scenery and talking to people, and there were people inside the community area hanging out and doing their thing. The people running that place were absolutely excellent and are doing the jobs that they should be doing.

May 13, 2021

By Sharon

I toured the Dogwood Terrace and it was very nice, very bright, and very clean. It has a nice, open, and airy feeling. Their dining room in particular was nice, open, airy, bright, and spacious. The apartments were a good size and comfortable. They have church services, crafts, men's get-togethers, and community outings. The location was clean and well-kept.

January 23, 2021

By Sue

I visited the Dogwood Terrace in Richmond. It was very good, but there was just a difference between Dogwood and my current facility. Dogwood does not have a full kitchen and I did not want just a kitchenette so I went with my current facility which has a full kitchen. The staff was very nice, they were very friendly and very helpful. There wasn't any meal, just a fruit plate that has raw pineapples, which I can't eat. The facility was nice and very well-kept, the big difference was that they had a kitchenette, not a full kitchen. The layout was all very nice, I considered it to be a competitor with the facility I'm in right now. I just chose my current facility because of the kitchen and also because it had a washer and dryer. I didn't really look much into the amenities at Dogwood. I don't think they had any other difference from the other facilities. Their rooms were very nice. They just had new carpet put in that were nice, too.

October 11, 2020

By Lorraine

My mom has been a resident here for 8 years. It is a wonderful community led by a talented, committed and professional management team. The environment is clean and beautifully appointed. The meals are tasty and nutritious, and the staff - from the managers to the housekeeping staff are always kind, supportive, respectful and helpful to residents and families! Wonderful place!!

August 26, 2020

By Little Bee

My brother loves the staff are so very helpful and caring. Always look in out for him. Would recommended to anyone. 😊

July 06, 2020

By Joanne

I have no problem with Dogwood Terrace. Everything's good. My room is a good size with a large entry foyer. The staff is caring and efficient. The food is good. We get three meals and snacks twice a day. We're served in our room right now, but they're gradually working us back into the dining room. The facility is nice, but the activities are very limited because of the virus. You're allowed to play games, but with only five people in a group at a time. They have card games, Wii, and exercise. There's quite a variety, but we still are very limited in the number of residents that can get together and we must all wear masks. We're scheduled to have a jazz band play outside and the rooms in the front can watch from their balcony; they were putting out chairs for us as well. They have a van that takes us where we need to go, and it's very close to shopping. The cost is better than a lot of other places I looked into. It's reasonable.

February 19, 2020

By Virginia

The general age of the people living at Dogwood Terrace was a little older than what my friend is looking for. The gentleman I met with talked about it, and he said their sweet spot is 70's to early 80's, and my friend is only 60 years old. The facilities were gorgeous, the amenities were outstanding, but it was just not a community where it would be easy for my friend to have a lot of things in common with other people. That was the only drawback. Other than that, there was nothing that made me unhappy about the place. The residents were having their lunch while I was there, the atmosphere was quite lovely, and everyone seemed lovely. They were sitting in groups. I did not see anyone being isolated or looking ostracized. The food smelled good, but I didn't try to taste anything.

September 29, 2019

By rfc1955

Wonderful ,clean facility. Move my parent from a similar facility in North Carolina, and wished I would have done it sooner. The staff and management are caring, responsive and attentive. The activities director, Judy is wonderful and plans plenty of activities for the residents. The food is excellent with plenty of alternatives at each meal. Would recommend this facility to anyone who is concerned about the safety and well being of their parent(s).

September 22, 2019

By cfpljm

Dogwood Terrace has a wonderful atmosphere, is clean and nicely decorated. The convenience of 3 prepared meals per day in a bright, spacious dining room is a highlight. The management and staff are unparalleled. They go above and beyond to meet the needs of residents and provide activities that would be suitable to all types of interests, such as current events, field trips, games, movies, art classes, donut socials, happy hours, and musical entertainment, to name a few. Every holiday is a special occasion, and families of residents are invited. There are convenient services on site such as a hair salon and physical therapy. I would highly recommend Dogwood Terrace!

September 12, 2019

By mab10814

After 58 years in their home, my parents dreaded the move, but after only a few months Dogwood Terrace felt like home. The caring, friendly staff made the biggest difference along with ample activities for the social and not-so-social types. The apartment is well maintained and includes weekly housekeeping and linens. All 3 meals are included which makes DT a great value for worry free living!

September 01, 2019

By Kim P.

My mother has been a resident at Dogwood Terrace for almost 3 years. She has a 1 bedroom apartment on the 1st floor and she absolutely loves it there. The staff really care about the residents and are like extended family for my mom. She loves having meals in the dining room with her friends but also enjoys her privacy in her very nice and efficient apartment. Her favorite meal is breakfast and then she attends the exercise class every morning at 10:00. I was very nervous about moving my mom away from all her family and friends in Ohio, but Dogwood Terrace made the transition easy for her. And while others commented that it's expensive, I think it is an amazing value for the price.

August 31, 2019

By Mcushnie

There are a variety of rooms/apartments that are available. They are very nicely laid out and provide a welcoming atmosphere to residents. The staff takes a personal interest in the residents. They have oftentimes chatted with us regarding our relative to make certain their needs are met. They are quick to greet you with a smile when you enter the building. They offer a variety of games and activities throughout the day to keep residents active and engaged. This is a wonderful facility and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

July 04, 2018

By Marion

Everything at Dogwood Terrace was very nice. They had a pool table, library, movies, exercise room, and beautiful dining room where they serve three meals a day. The staff was very friendly and nice. We liked it there.

January 27, 2018

By Don

Dogwood Terrace is managed by the same company as the place we chose, but $1,000 a month more. It had all the same amenities. In the Richmond area, north of the James River costs a lot more than south of the James River. We didn't have any negatives about this facility.

June 01, 2017

By brian868602

We chose Dogwood Terrace for its location, friendly staff, and affordability. My dad's unit is a one-room efficiency that has a refrigerator.

April 10, 2017

By Irene226814

Dogwood Terrace was a very nice-looking place. Tthey showed me a tiny studio on the ground floor. It would have been fine, but not 10 feet from the door was a highway. It was also so expensive that I would have to give every cent I bring in, and I couldn't do it. The staff was fine, not pushy, and followed up. They had a dining room, and you could cook a little bit in the kitchen. They had an exercise place, a TV room, and a computer room, but I didn't see anybody there.

March 30, 2017

By Sarah826342

Dogwood Terrace appeared to be a new place. The main room for the residents was well lit and had a cheerful feeling. I liked that the staff they had hired to serve the residents in the dining room really knew the residents. They were students, so I thought it was nice that it gave a cross section of age groups and the residents could talk with young people who are serving them. Some of the staff members were husband and wife which was nice too because that brought a family element to the community. I had dinner there, and the food was delicious.

March 08, 2017

By Hope128020

Dogwood Terrace felt like home, not like a nursing home. The staff people were very nice and very friendly, and the rooms were spacious and clean. The grounds were very well-kept, and it was in a very convenient location for me. The cost was very expensive, but for what my mother needs, it was fine. I would recommend it.

November 30, 2016

By Horace620846

Dogwood Terrace is very nice, the staff was very helpful, and the model apartment was very nice. I was offered the food, but I didn't try it. They offered 3 meals a day. It was nice enough that I would consider living there myself.

November 01, 2016

By Samantha448046

Dogwood Terrace was one of my favorite ones. I like it a lot. It was in a nice zip code or area, it's clean looking, you see a bunch of apartments where people are actually living in, and it was like an apartment complex. It was all connected, and inside there's a big dining area. It was fairly new, and it's very nice. They actually had apartments with balconies, the staff was friendly, and I was shown a studio, a 1-bedroom and a 2-bedroom.

September 30, 2016

By Kim527341

I thought Dogwood Terrace was great. It was clean, but it was too far from me. If I had lived another 2 miles closer to them, it would have been ideal. I got a feeling of professionalism, and there was an overall feeling of care.

August 18, 2016

By Sherry270825

My aunt is currently at Dogwood Terrace in independent living. You are paying for the meals, light housekeeping once a week, and little assistance. I feel that the place really tries and their intentions toward the residents are good, but they are terribly understaffed. They have a community room, an exercise room which no one uses, and a game room. The women play bingo and do some activities. I think they are really good at taking care of any maintenance problems. The grounds are kept nice and attractive. The outside looks much better than the inside.

March 30, 2016

By Alvin6

I thought Dogwood Terrace was a really nice place with really nice people. It was clean and had everything that you could want. If you went there, you would not need anything else. You pay one price and have everything. However, it was a little too expensive for what I wanted and needed. Other than that, if someone would need that type of living, that would be fine.

April 17, 2015

By Gene15

There was availability and price at Dogwood Terrace. They have a walking club and movie night. They do bingo, horse racing, cards, puzzles, and exercise activities. The food is great, and the room is spacious enough. The staff is very nice, too.

January 12, 2015

By Dorothy104286950

I was pretty impressed with Dogwood Terrace, and I actually went there several times. They worked really hard to keep their people happy, and I would really recommend them highly. The food was wonderful, and I keep fantasizing about it. If there's anything that would make me decide, it would be the food because the food was totally gourmet. The grounds are very pretty. There is a park there within walking distance where I could go and walk in. There is a beautiful pond, walking trails, and lots of nice things, and also within walking distance are some of the really best shopping areas of Richmond. They liked me, and I liked them a lot, but I just really wasn't ready to do this. It is just expensive. The only one that I could even hope to ever live in would be the studio which was tiny and claustrophobic.

July 29, 2014

By Deborah32

I visited Dogwood Terrace. It's a lovely place. What my mother hated about it was that they don't have a full kitchen. My mother really hated that. She felt like that we were saying she couldn't be trusted to have a kitchen. Nevertheless, Dogwood Terrace was beautiful. It was a smaller community, more intimate, and very friendly, but my mother could not get over that they didn't have a full kitchen. The dining room was gorgeous. It was really new. The upgrades were really pretty. It was a very attractive facility.

April 21, 2014

By Nanette3

Dogwood Terrace is a combination because they don't provide assisted living, but they have nurses who are contracted in the building, so the nursing is available to anyone who wants to hire that service. It seems to be new and clean. They seem very concerned about the cleanliness, so that's important. The grounds are very well-kept, and the management is on-site. It's a family, and they are very, very friendly. I like that they're always trying to engage the residents to be very social, and they have a lot of different things going on. They have different people who come in and entertain at parties and get-togethers. I think it's really perfect for someone who doesn't want or can't spend top dollar because it really has all of those things that you want without being too expensive. The only thing that's lacking is they need a little more variety in the food, and some of the residents say that. They have a lot of food, and it is well-prepared, but it's very often the same thing over and over. If you want some variety, you just order in or go out sometimes.

December 27, 2013

The residents at Dogwood Terrace encouraged me to move down there. It looked like a very nice place. The staff was friendly, the rooms were spacious and nice.

Questions about Holiday Dogwood Terrace

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Holiday Dogwood Terrace. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does Holiday Dogwood Terrace offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Holiday Dogwood Terrace exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does Holiday Dogwood Terrace offer to independent living residents?

If Holiday Dogwood Terrace accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does Holiday Dogwood Terrace work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for Holiday Dogwood Terrace

Photos of Holiday Dogwood Terrace

Services and Amenities of Holiday Dogwood Terrace

• Housing Extra: Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Parking: Garage

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Holiday Dogwood Terrace

Dogwood Terrace is located in Richmond, VA, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Dogwood Terrace for a visit...and stay!

*We understand that each individual is unique and that needs may change over time. Holiday by Atria does not provide any health care services. However, residents are welcome to receive services from any outside home health care provider of their choice to help them continue enjoying life at our community.

Map of Holiday Dogwood Terrace