Gardens at Fair Oaks

Reviews of Gardens at Fair Oaks

Assisted Living Reviews for Gardens at Fair Oaks

October 03, 2012

By Youngestdaughter

My mother was a resident of the Gardens at Fair Oaks for over 2 and a half years until her recent passing. I was a very involved daughter and visited my mother almost everyday for the duration of her stay. I saw how the facility operated in the morning, afternoons and early evenings , on weekends and weekdays. The physical building is wonderful. It is kept very clean and attractive and there are multiple locations with comfortable couches/chairs or private dining areas for residents to enjoy on their own or with friends and family. There is always a nurse on staff round the clock which was a criteria of ours. Residents who are still somewhat independent and enjoy others' company will do well there. Unfortunately, my mother wasn't one who liked to be among 'strangers' and she did not enjoy all of the group activities. Because of this, the staff wasn't always sure how to deal with her. My mother was a fall-risk and when she was in her room on her own most of the time that was problematic for the staff and administration, as she did try to walk on her own using her walker. The 'easy' solution to this situation would have been for me to hire a private duty aide to be with my mother. The cost of this in addition to the facility itself was totally out of the question for our family. It is important to note that many of the residents at the Gardens have private duty aides at least 12 hours a day. This is encouraged by the administration to keep things running smoothly. If you have the money for that and your loved one is pleased by that constant companion, all is well. This was not possible for our family situation and it was a constant dialogue between myself and the administration/staff about keeping my mother safe from falling while respecting her wishes of privacy. On one occasion the staff changed my mother's personal care plan to include more group activities without my consent. This led to a change in my mother's mood and behavior. I must say that the nursing staff at the Gardens is by and large very good, in particular the evening (3 - 11pm) shift. The overall quality of the CNAs is just adequate. Not all CNAs are created equally. It is important for the family to be as involved as possible and keep a watchful eye on how their loved one is being cared for. I have rated this facility overall 3 stars, although 2 1/2 may be most accurate. I would give the direct care staff overall a 3 or 3 1/2. The administration I would give one star. The bottom line seems to be often more important than the consideration of what is best for each resident.

About Gardens at Fair Oaks

Gardens at Fair Oaks is a senior living provider in Fairfax, Virginia that offers residents Assisted Living, Assisted Living, and Adult Day Care. Contact Gardens at Fair Oaks for more details on services and rates.

Map of Gardens at Fair Oaks