Newforest Estates

Reviews of Newforest Estates

Assisted Living Reviews for Newforest Estates

September 15, 2016

By Cindy233722

My mom is currently a resident at Newforest Estates. This is an independent and assisted living facility, and she just happens to be residing in the assisted living right now. She likes it, but she was looking for something that had bigger rooms and a cheaper price, and we didn’t find it. The staff are awesome. They treat everybody just like their family. In fact they call my mom, “Mom.” She didn’t like the food at first, but they’ve changed the cook, and now she doesn’t say anything about their food anymore. She doesn’t have any complaints. She just says that everybody is wonderful there. It’s in a medical center and close to everything, so it’s very handy for doctors and shopping and everything. It’s a great location.

Hi Cindy~ We are so happy to hear that your mom is happy. We have a unique community and really love what we do. We are working hard on the menu options and so glad to hear this feedback. Thank you again.

June 23, 2016

By donna.stevens

beautiful apartments, dining room and common area are beautiful and well utilized. Spoke with several happy residents before making a decision to move in. I love living here.

Donna, thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are very pleased to know that you are happy and that you chose to stay here with us~ We are thrilled to have you here! Thank you for sharing! Wishing you a great day!!

March 18, 2016

By WN

I am impressed with Newforest Estates because of the cost and location. The staff is every nice. The rooms are large, clean, and spacious. The food is good. They have activities like day trips, card games, water aerobics, and exercise programs. I will recommend it to others.

Thank you for your positive review!

January 28, 2016

By eldeming

I have lived at Newforest Estates in Assisted Living for almost 1 year now. I love that it is a small intimate home with Great staff. We have our days filled with optional activities. Our staff has been here longer than me. I never realized how difficult life had become. My decision to move was one of the best decisions I made in 2015.

Thank you for your positive 5 star review! We are so happy to have you here with us!

October 26, 2015

By Dmar

Other

Looks like a beautiful place. I like the amenities and activities offered.

Thank you for your review!

October 25, 2015

By Cooks4U

Recently I was asked to assist in finding a senior residence for a family member. New Forest was a great option for them. We were looking for a place which was active and engaging and met the budget of someone on a fixed income. The apartments are generous and well maintained. There is a calendar of activities and outings to keep the residents busy. Dining is restaurant style, providing options at each meal. We have found the staff attentive to his needs and responsive to family concerns. Moving and downsizing is never easy, but the leadership at New Forest has helped make it comfortable.

Thank you for your detailed positive 5 star review. We are very happy to have you here with us.

September 07, 2015

My mom was at Newforest Estates. It had independent living and assisted living on the other side. It was really nice, and people there were very sweet, but I feel they're understaffed. They need to improve on taking action when you have an issue. Newforest Estates used to take awhile to get it done. When my mother fell and broke her hip, her bracelet had not been working for a couple of weeks. She had to drag herself across the room to the phone and then across them again to unlock her door. The food was a good portion but a variety would be a little bit better, but they were good food and of good amount.

January 17, 2015

By Tom100447250

We choose Newforest Estates for my mom because she likes it. The staff seems to be great. My mom likes the room, and she's really happy to be there. They have all sorts of activities, and my mom is always into something. The staff is always there to help out. The food seems to be great, and the dining room is very clean.

December 30, 2014

By Sylvia15

I visited Newforest Estates. I thought they were very friendly. It was a very nice facility, and they kind of met my mom's needs. The rooms were spacious. We liked it. They had their own bathroom and kitchen. The grounds were very nice and open. They had lots of activities. They could go on and play games. They had bingo, exercise, and different things that you could do. It was in a nice neighborhood and was accessible to a hospital.

Thank you for your positive 5 star review!

November 26, 2014

By southtexan

My father was a resident at New Forest Assisted living for almost 3 years due to Dementia/Alzheimer's. Throughout his very long stay the staff was professional, helpful, and truly cared for his well being. He had the same care givers for the entire time he was there and they knew him and took care of the many problems that he had. But most importantly, I trusted their judgment on what he needed. Especially at the end when they worked with hospice to ease his passing. Choosing a facility for a loved one is hard. The quality and location of the facility is important but even more important is the quality of the care given and the care given by the New Forest staff was excellent.

Our condolences on the passing of your father, we are glad that we were able to be here for you and your family. We understand what an important decision this is and we are honored that you chose us. Thank you for sharing your experience, we appreciate it and all your kind words.

November 21, 2014

By its me 2014

My mom lived in IL and then moved to AL. both placed were fantastic. the staff and management were always wonderful. the food was and service was always good

Thank you for your positive review, we appreciate it.

July 30, 2013

By Rebecca18

My mother was at NewForest Estates and it was a very nice place. They had separate apartments and they also served food. I was not able to try the food but my mom said it was good. They had a lot of activities both spontaneous and scheduled. She was completely satisfied there although it was far from the area that she wanted. I also liked everything about it.

Thank you Rebecca for your positive review, we are very glad to hear that you and your mother are happy and content.

September 26, 2012

By vasquez1200

I like the fact that Newforest Estates offers both assisted living and independent living in separate facilities that are right next to each other. Not very many do this and it is a bit of a task to pull off. This facility was recommended to me by friends who had family there at one time. When I made my visit they were in the middle of a needed remodeling. I do have to say that the management staff were very at ease and easy to work with giving the tour felt like it was home. The facility is older but cared for. When I viewed a shared apartment it was very spacious but did seem in need of cleaning and new updates such as carpet etc. I spoke with members who were living there and they seemed quite happy and relaxed. Out of all the facilities that I had toured this one had more of an atmosphere as like to my grandmothers house, comfortable, reasonable on a daily basis not restricted or clubbish. For what it lacked in shiny newness it more than made up for in friendly and comforting appeal. They are also one of the few who will permit modifications of your living space if approved in a much easier fashion than others which is a big plus.

Vasquez, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. Your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service.

August 20, 2012

By Sheri1

My Grandmother was fairly happy there. The grounds were clean the staff were not overly present but they were fairly curteous. My Grandmother's needs were attended to and she had a variety of activities to choose from. There were outings to the store and to church which she particularly enjoyed and she was able to make friends with some of the other residents. If there was a downside it was that the facility frequently changed owners. So there was often changes that she would have to get used to or that she did not like. There was another negative in that once an ambulance had to be called for her but the staff did not take note of which hospital she was in. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to not have an answer in such a serious situation. The other thing was that the "lifeline" necklace that they provided (so that my Grandmother could alert staff in case of an emergency) was broken for months - they never fixed it. A culmination of these little and not so little issues caused my Grandmother to leave the facility.

Sheri1, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

July 15, 2012

By charrell1507

My brother and I visited the facility on July 14th and we were real impressed with it and their friendlyness. I have a 88 year old mother that has alzheimer's and has had it for about a year. We were pretty nervous about visiting these places but they made us feel welcome and comfortable and answered our questions.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive 5 star review. We appreciate it!

June 05, 2012

By commercesd

The New Forest Estates assisted living facility was one of the places we saw while looking in San Antonio for my brother's friend. From the time we arrived, we really liked the overall vibe of the property, staff and residents. The grounds and exterior was designed like a motel or resort, with nicely appointed and beautifully landscaped greenery. The lobby was clean and fresh with very nice staff to greet us. The fitness center had well maintained equipment including a heated pool which provided a relaxing spa feel. They also had daily classes and the residents could safely navigate the lovely grounds with adequate supervision as needed. Their library was impressive, with many good books and games. The meal menus all had healthy food options for all kinds of diets. The dining room was quite nice, with plenty of space. The food we saw looked and smelled delicious. Healthy snacks are offered all day and into the evening, as well as whenever residents request them. The residents are taken to many interesting events in and around the region -- to take advantage of the diverse offerings. The many planned activities feature everything from book readings and discussions to the arts, and museum, gallery, film and theater visits. The living spaces were nice sizes - some exceeding 400 sq. ft. Each unit included kitchenettes, was nicely decorated and had an emergency response system so that the safety of the residents is assured with someone available in case assistance is needed at all times. This is a full service senior community with exception staff. We felt that the atmosphere was conducive to what one would expect in a high-caliber environment.

Commercesd, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

August 19, 2011

By bradj62

If I could give more stars for this place I would. It was awesome! I took my mom to look it over, as she is going to need to get into a place soon, and she was thrilled! I was amazed at the facility. This is like a 4 star hotel for seniors. They have several different floor plans for independent living, which is what she is looking for. A full kitchen in all that I saw as well, which is good because she wants to keep being able to cook. They also have a heated pool outside as well. I was just flat out impressed with the staff and the residents I spoke with, very happy people. This is a place I would feel good about having my mom at, most definitely.

Bradj62, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community.

Independent Living Reviews for Newforest Estates

October 05, 2017

By Julie V.

NewForest Estates is a top notch retirement and assisted living community with reasonable rates. My sister feels like she is part of a family there and when she moved in she said "now I'm home." They offer everything and more that should be part of this type of environment to include a warm and friendly staff and great meals (research supports these are the top two factors to thriving in a senior community). You can just tell by the way the residents respond to their interactive with the staff and even visitors like myself that they feel at home.
Julie V., it's experiences like yours that really keep us motivated! We love to hear experiences like yours, and thank you for sharing. We are so pleased to hear that your sister is happy here with us. We have a wonderful Executive Director who is very involved in the community and our residents. He and the dedicated support staff and genuinely care, and it shows. We hope to see you at one of our fun events this month! We offer yoga, movies, trivia, bingo and more! Welcome Home!

October 05, 2017

By SandyMo

We moved my Mother into Newforest Estates when she could no longer stay alone in her home. We sold her home and this was the only place we visited. My Mom knew this was where she wanted to be. Her apartment was overlooking the pool and it was a straight shot to her car. It took awhile, but soon she thought of it as HOME. She met some very nice friends and she is very happy there.
Welcome Home! Not only is this our motto, but we truly mean it. Experiences like your mothers are common here and we are very proud to be a part of these experiences for families and residents. We are a family here and we all love our residents as if they were our own families. Thank you for sharing, we love to hear stories like this! Welcome Home! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you; we are more than happy to help!

By The Martin Family

Mom moved in shortly after my dad died and though it took her a couple of months to really get going, once she did we couldn't keep up with her. Between cards, bingo, "horse racing", the dances, etc. etc. etc. the tables turned and we were the ones calling to ask "Where were you? You haven't called in a week!" Several years later she had to move to the Assisted Living facility and honestly, we could NOT have asked for a more caring staff! Mom passed away last June but her last years were happy and she made so many friends! There were absolutely no regrets or second thoughts about her living at New Forest. She was truly cherished there and who could ask for more than that?
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are so happy that you and your family feel this way. We have a wonderful community and we are extremely proud of our staff and extended family. You made our day today and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Please feel free to come by or contact us with any questions in the future. We hope that you have a blessed day.

By rpiant

As a third party provider giving care at the end of life, the Director has gone above and beyond to ensure a synergistic relationship. All staff at Newforest Estates have shown outstanding attention to detail, diligence to patient satisfaction, and patient centered care as priority. I would personally trust my family members to be cared for at this facility.
Thank you for your positive review and continued support. We are honored you would trust us with your own family, that means a lot to us. We always strive to provide top quality service to everyone, and are pleased to hear your prospective. We look forward to our continued relationship, have a wonderful day.

By PWestley5429

So I recently had the pleasure of working with Denise and Michael to get my mother moved in at Newforest. I knew that this was the place for my mother as soon as I walked through the door. I felt welcomed almost immediately by the front desk person and other residents. The facility was clean, the food was good, and even the staff was friendly when we walked around the community. Denise was very professional and gladly answered all of our endless questions. She was even diligent, but not overly aggressive when checking back with us. I didn't feel pressured at all to come in to tour. We finally brought mom in to tour and Michael was there to help us. While on tour, we encountered a group of residents who were so, so happy to see Michael and it was quite nice seeing how well he is received by these residents. We got mom moved in pretty quickly, which saved us some money in the end. My mom was able to move into a newly renovated apartment and we just love the way it looks! I feel like this is the right place for my mother to be and she'll have the social interaction that is going to benefit her since she likes to be active. Oh, and I like that they have a front desk person available 24/7 so if I ever worry about not being able to get a hold of mom, I know I can call the front desk at any time. Denise also told me the staff does daily checks on all their residents. This brings a lot of comfort to me knowing my mom will be accounted for every day of the week. Please do not miss out on this community if you are looking for your loved one! Trust me, you will get that "home" feeling!!!! I am so glad we found Newforest!!!!
We love to hear experiences like you and your mothers. We will share your kind words with the team here, it is experiences like yours that really keep us motivated. We always strive to provide top quality service to every resident and their families, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at NewForest Estates! We can't wait to see you again, have a great day. Welcome Home!

By J. Kinsel

My mom has had a wonderful experience at Newforest Estates! She has lived there over a year, and she has made wonderful friends, enjoys all the activities they offer. It is also at a reasonable cost. I highly recommend Newforest!
J. Kinsel, thank you for the high star rating and for your positive review! We are very proud of our community and our entire team. We have a Facebook page with pictures of our residents and their interesting activities. (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day!

August 08, 2017

By T Benke

We first met Michael while touring NewForest Estates in October 2016. What jumped out at you when we met Michael was his enthusiasm and energy. He seemed to know every resident on a first name basis. They brightened up when they saw him, always ready to tease and encourage him as much as he encourages them!! He truly loves his job and loves the residents. I'm very pleased to work with Michael. He has helped us most recently in picking a rehab facility for my mother after a fall. I can trust him and his judgement.
Thank you for leaving this detailed positive review about your experience with our community. We appreciate it and feel the same way about Michael, he is wonderful and we are lucky to have him on our team. Have a wonderful day and thank you again!

September 29, 2016

By Bruce278157

Newforest Estates was laid out completely different. When you went outside your door, you are actually outside. So, when you open that door, it’s pretty odd. It wasn’t a controlled climate because it wasn’t inside, all of it. So that was one thing that we didn’t care for. The facilities were OK, and the fellow that we talked to from the staff was great and we liked him a lot. It appeared to be much older, and when you walk out your door, you are not in a controlled climate. It looked pretty full, so I think that they are doing quite well.
Hi Bruce, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not a positive one, and will use this as an opportunity to improve.

July 11, 2016

By Robbie053180

We visited New Forest Estates, and it seemed perfectly fine and less expensive than other places. We could not see any wrong with it. They had a nice pool. It’s a little less posh compared to the other places we’ve visited, but it’s OK.
Robbie, we are very happy we could provide you with a positive experience!

October 21, 2015

By A happy daughter of a resident

My mother has lived at NewForest Estates for about 3 years and it has been a good experience for her overall. Anytime we needed help from the administration, they have been helpful, kind and supportive. My mother lives in the independent life section, she is about to turn 90 soon and I have no doubt that her longevity has to do with the life style she has enjoyed there.
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive review. We appreciate it & thank you for your review.

November 25, 2014

By outoftown

My mother has been at New Forest for 4 years. We narrowed our choices based on cost, cleanliness and safety. It was Mom's choice of New Forest. They have been exceptional in relating to and understanding mom's personality. The amenities are wonderful if one takes full advantage of them. The administrative staff have been exceptional on 3 occasions where extra care was needed spontaneously. Over all the staff has been good in communicating with us (her children/care takers).

November 21, 2014

By Shirleybydesign

Other

Newforest Estates has always been a very friendly, active independent living community. They are now undergoing a complete renovation. The new design is beautiful and reflects the spirit of its residents as well as the very caring staff. Newforest Estates is truly a "family" and I am privileged to provide personal services to a number of residents to assist them in their efforts to enjoy independent living for years to come. Newforest residents are very fortunate to have an outstanding chef on staff. The food is wonderful, activities and special events fill the calendar. This is a happy community!!

July 22, 2014

By Dawna2

Dad has been at Newforest Estates since April. We chose this place for its price and the feedback that we read. The staff are very friendly and they appear to love their jobs. They all seem to truly care about the people that are in the community. He is in a 1-bedroom, 1-bath apartment with a kitchenette. They do have a lot of activities there, and they have a pool. They also play games every night. They have two church services on Sunday. They have van trips every day to Walmart, restaurants, or special trips. They also have dances or some music once a month. Their food is good.

Questions about Newforest Estates

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Newforest Estates. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our population consists of 29 resident with an average age of 83.

What places are near Newforest Estates or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Movie Theater Wal-Mart Sam's Club Pet's Mart Many Restaurants Good Will Home Depot RBFCU Bank Party City

What transportation services does Newforest Estates offer to assisted living residents?

We offer 7 days of transportation which include trips to local shopping areas, grocery stores, doctor's appointments, restaurants and various churches.

What makes the chef or dining program at Newforest Estates exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef has over 20 years of culinary experience and ensures that most of our entrees are prepared from scratch. We allow for residents to make suggestions for our menu.

What safety features or security measures does Newforest Estates offer to assisted living residents?

We have a 24 hour response system with fall sensors, complete fire alarm system with sprinklers and 7 emergency exits.

How does Newforest Estates keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We spend time with our residents every day and have morning meetings to ensure that all management is up to date with their situations. Families can simply call us and mostly every manager could provide them with an update on the condition of their loved one. Regular daily Face Book posting shows family members how fun and engaged their residents are while engaged in the building and during outings.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Newforest Estates during daytime and nighttime hours?

We have 3 care providers, 1 med tech and an RN on staff during the day. In the evening, we have 2 care providers and 1 med tech on site.

If Newforest Estates accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are pet friendly as long as they are friendly and well trained.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We provide training through the year ranging from healthcare professionals conducting training courses, online training which is updated monthly and manager led training sessions. As a mandatory requirement, each employee undergoes a thorough back ground, character, and criminal check, along with a current drug screening. Initial training is provided and ongoing monthly mandatory training is required as part of the employment agreement. All staff are CPR and First Aid certified. Mandatory in-services are schedule monthly to provide a high level of customer service and care that our residents deserve. Health care topics and demonstration of technique from professional health care providers insure our staff is fully trained to help our seniors as they age gracefully in place.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Newforest Estates. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our independent living consists of about 200 residents with an average age of 80.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Newforest Estates has organized?

Weekly Walking Club San Antonio Zoo The River Walk The Witte Museum

What transportation services does Newforest Estates offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Newforest Estates exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

We are pet friendly as long as they are friendly and well trained.

Does Newforest Estates work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We have Amada Home Care on site to provide customized care plans for our residents.

What safety features or security measures does Newforest Estates provide to protect residents who wander?

Our doors are locked from the outside in but not the inside out in accordance with the Department of Aging and Disability for a Type B facility. Most of our doors are set up to an alarm that go off any time they are opened.

Costs for Newforest Estates

Photos of Newforest Estates

Services and Amenities of Newforest Estates

• Licenses: 102550

About Newforest Estates

Don’t settle for ordinary. Escape to NewForest Estates, a San Antonio senior living community offering award winning independent living and assisted living care, all designed for discerning individuals who expect more out of life.

Amenities Available