Brookdale San Antonio

Brookdale San Antonio (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale San Antonio

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale San Antonio

August 21, 2015

We found an assisted living place for my mother. She has been at Horizon Bay San Antonio for almost two months now, and she is doing fine. I noticed a difference immediately when I walked into this facility from some other places I had visited. The staff was very present, visible, and friendly. The interaction between the staff and residents was obvious. The residents enjoyed being there. They enjoyed interacting with the staff, which tells me that the they know what they’re doing. We looked into every aspect of this facility -- e.g., the common areas, the dining facility, and just everything -- and it was obvious that the facility has been taken care of. It is obvious that it is maintained very well. We have been very pleased with the facility. We couldn’t have asked for a better place. The activities that they offer for the residents on a daily basis are games and arts and crafts activities. There are socials, and they take them shopping at least twice a week. They take them to their doctor’s appointment too. The place has really an outstanding schedule in the way they manage and encourage interaction between the residents. On several occasions I’ve been talking to my mother on the phone, somebody will knock on her door, and it is one of the staff, reminding her about an activity and encouraging her to go. I’m just really pleased.

August 21, 2015

It was in much better shape physically, and it was a very good experience. In their memory care facility, they had smaller cottages that the residents live in that might have 15 or so residents in each, and they had their own rooms. The place was very neat and tidy. For men, they had a work bench where men could fiddle with things they're used to. They had a lot of different activities, and there was someone there playing the piano when I was there. I went to look at the dining area in the regular part of their assisted living, and they said they had the same food and same menu, but for memory care, sometimes they had to cut the food up for the people. Horizon Bay San Antonio was very good, and the staff seemed great also.

May 24, 2015

By Dennis27

My mother is in Horizon Bay. I like that it is very small. There are only about 14 residents. She is only been there for 10 days, but so far, so good. The rooms are very nice. She is in one with about 360 square feet. It has a good size bathroom and a shower. They provide the shower service as well as give her the meds. It is a pleasant place. They bring the food over from the main facility. They have a very good chef there, and the food is excellent. They don't leave the premises; however, I know that they have someone to play the piano, and they have sing-a-long. They do arts and crafts.

May 17, 2015

By Patti22

I moved my parents from a Brookdale property in San Antonio. It was called Horizon Bay, and it was fabulous. Their food was great, and their service was great. They have a caring staff, and there is always someone you could find and talk to. Their activities just absolutely did my dad a world of good. It was just overall excellent. They had card games, Bingo, and exercising, and they had a dog that came in, lots of different music, and parties for everything. Chinese New Year, they had a party. There were special luncheons and dinners; they have Men's Club for the men, and they had a luncheon for them once a month. They have exercise, movie nights, ice cream socials, and barbecues. They have all of it. It was great.

April 27, 2014

By Tim18

Horizon Bay was well-maintained. They have a good activity system. Their dining facility is excellent, and their amenities are great. Their staff seems to be very caring. It’s a very clean place. I was very satisfied with it. They have an activities room for people who want to utilize it with games and puzzles. They have outings, arts and crafts, and bingo. They have a computer course they’re teaching. It’s well put together. They’re my first choice.

April 26, 2014

I'm at Horizon Bay. I like it very much. The food is excellent. The people are very attentive and kind. I love my apartment. The transportation is adequate. I don't really have any negatives concerning it. There are all kinds of activities and entertainment that they provide.

April 25, 2014

I visited a friend who was at Horizon Bay San Antonio. He was in rehab. It wasn't a severe rehab, and he wasn't there an awful long time. He said he liked it. I would also consider that if I were looking for something. If I had to look for a place right now and they give me a list of five or six, that may be one of them that I would look at. My overall impression was quite favorable. It was pretty centrally located. It's close to town.

October 27, 2013

By Love1

After a comprehensive review, visit and face to face interviews with the management team of more than 10 memory care communities, I believed that Horizon Bay projected the attributes I felt were most important related to the future care of my wife: compassion, empathy and respect. She has transitioned to the community and I feel that my trust in the management and direct care team has been justified. Whether assistance with ADLs, activities, access or kindness extended to her Yorkie it is as if our family has been expanded.

October 09, 2013

It was very welcoming when you walk in Horizon Bay. It was beautifully decorated inside. The facility itself was more modern and up-to-date. It was clean also. My mother liked that one better. I would definitely recommend this place. The staff was very nice. When we went there, they were doing an exercise class. Most of the residents were in their wheelchairs and they had some music on. They did have many activities and they have them posted on the board in the lobby each day. They even have church services that come in.

April 08, 2013

By CMurphy

We are so glad that we found Horizon Bay! The staff members are truly sweet & caring. Everyone from the Executive Director, Marketing Directors, Activities Director, Nursing and Food Service have been actively involved in our families transition. They have been very professional, yet warm and compassionate in what can be a very emotional transition. We found this community when "A Place for Mom" referred our names to Horizon Bay. They called and invited us to visit. We loved what we saw. The community is set in a residential community. As you enter, there is a warm & welcoming reception area that the residents gather and visit. The dining room is open, bright and inviting with 4 top tables covered with table clothes. The service is excellent and the food is very tasty! There are many activities managed by a very enthusiastic Activities Director. The nursing staff have been so kind and helpful with our complicated medications list and physicians set up. They continue to help us tweak our needs. The room we picked out for my step-mom turned out to not be exactly what she wanted location and amenity-wise, so when another room became available that she preferred, they had no problem helping us make the move happen. It's been pretty seamless. We looked at other assisted living communities but were drawn to the Horizon Bay community. The next best thing to all that I've described is that the residents are so sweet and have been very warm and welcoming to my step-mom as well. My dad passed away in January and my step-mom tells me that the only thing that would make her stay more pleasant is to have dad there with her. She says he would have loved it! We highly recommend this community!

March 22, 2013

By Suzy5

My mother has been a resident at Horiozon Bay for two years. Her care is personalized for her needs. The nursing staff is efficient, supportive and has a good relationship with my mother's doctor. The aides are caring and want their residents to be comfortable and feel cared for(my mother boasts of her personal dressers!). This facility is always clean. The programs are many and varied with a lot of "special" occasions celebrated. The kitchen staff is very helpful and the meals are great, with many choices. The chef is excellent and knows residents as well as family members. All the employees are respectful, courteous, professional, available and friendly. My family has been very pleased with Horizon Bay do speak positively of it with our friends.

March 21, 2013

By Elaine6

Horizon Bay is beautiful facility but it is just farther from my house. The rooms were nice and big. The handicapped accessibility is good. They have a lot of activities. The staff are very friendly. It is nice that their independent living facility is right next to the assisted living facility, it is easier to move someone.

March 19, 2013

By amy6

My mother, who has dementia, has lived at horizon bay for more than two years. We are very pleased with the entire staff. They are helpful, courteous, cheerful, always ready to do what needs to be done. We are very grateful for the care and attention she receives. I am over there many times thru out the week and see the interaction thru out the complex and am confident and comfortable with my mother living there. Lots of different activities thru out the day and week, every week. Something for everyone! Food is excellent! Low staff turnover, too

March 12, 2013

By Daughter#21

My family is looking to move our parents to assisted living in a different city. The staff at Horizon Bay has been remarkable in listening to our concerns and really WORKING to help us find the very best situation possible for Mom & Dad. Thank you Jessica, Jennifer, Jamie!

November 19, 2012

By dissatisfied2

From the outside this facility definitely appears to be appealing to the eye. Initially the staff that you meet are extremely welcoming however as time progresses the attentiveness of the staff quickly deteriorates. Im not certain if it is the turnover or just the lack of compassion from the staff. Grandmother has been here approximately a year and to be honest we are looking to move her into a different facility or have her come to live in my home. I was impressed at first however grandmas room was not kept clean and the call time is quite absurd. My expectations are not too high however I do expect them to be much more efficient. About a month ago she took a very hard fall and was in the floor for about an hour when I arrived in the room to find her lying in the floor. Very dissatisfied and definitely will not be referring this facility to anyone in the near future.

June 20, 2012

By kelsey1715

I was very dissatisfied with the service and care that my grandmother received when at Horizon Bay. She went to this home to recover from open heart surgery. The hospital told us it was going to be a rehabilitation place for her to heal before going home. Right when we walked in we could tell this was not one of the better Rehab homes around. She was left in her room the entire time, it seemed like the only time she had anyone pay attention to her was when her family was around. I would not recommend this place for anyone's family. Being a firm believer in family comes first I was very upset. Many of the other residents didn't look like they were to happy either, no one was being helped. Having a nurses background I wanted to step in and help everyone that was there. When my family had requested a bath for my grandmother, after being there 6 days, they acted like we were asking for something huge. It took another 2 days before I stepped in myself and gave her a shower. Felt really bad about all the residents who didn't have any family to help out.'

June 03, 2012

By commercesd

Since we would be in San Antonio checking out another facility, we made it a point to visit Horizon Bay San Antonio in the same region. My brother's friend has a lot of friends and family near the area - so it is a favorite location. It is important to the family that he really enjoy his later years - and they feel he can do that best in somewhat familiar surroundings. The covered porches added a nice charm to the facility, making it seem very homey and welcoming. All of the areas were pleasant to be in and we could see that the residents thought so, too. The activities we saw ranged from board games, to discussions, private reading and watching film and TV - and general socializing. The aviary was a lovely place to relax. The chapel and beauty shop were very nicely maintained. The apartments were all spacious and included an emergency system, seated safety shower stalls and ample kitchenettes. The staff is well-versed at taking care of a variety of types of people. The outside activities they plan regularly include everything from visiting local restaurant favorites, the public library and movies - to day trips to nearby regions. They have planned exercise classes - but also offer residents to work out any time they wish. We liked that they encouraged daily exercise. Residents are encouraged to partake in a variety of social, educational and cultural programs. There is a daily happy hour where residents and guests may engage in lively discussions on a variety of interesting topics. This facility was designed with independent privacy in mind and it ranks as one of the better ones we have visited.

Questions about Brookdale San Antonio

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Every care associate receives 12 hours a year in ongoing training related to providing excellent and appropriate care to our residents.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale San Antonio. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Brookdale San Antonio is a warm and welcoming community that makes retirement living a luxurious experience. With so many outings and opportunities, our residents stay busy with an active social calendar, fine amenities and the option to spend each day as they choose. Our residents’ average age is 79, which includes both our Assisted Living and Memory Care residents. Our residents love a good party, from our monthly socials, to our ever popular Happy Hour, every Friday, with live music. It is a rare sight to see our first floor living room empty, as it’s normally filled with people playing Scrabble, chatting or catching up with their neighbors.

What programs or activities does Brookdale San Antonio offer to enrich residents' well-being?

As a resident, you’ll have endless opportunities to join in activities and clubs to share with friends and neighbors. Shopping trips to local stores and boutiques, cooking classes, card games or afternoon matinees are just a few of our favorite ways to spend the day. Fitness and wellness are a natural part of life at Brookdale, with fun and exciting classes and programs that help keep you active and feeling your best. But it's not just about physical wellness — Brookdale’s Optimum Life is a holistic initiative that balances six key dimensions of wellness including purposeful, emotional, physical, social, spiritual and intellectual well-being, to help you live a lifestyle that promotes health, wholeness and fulfillment. With planned activities, we take our residents often for scenic drives and day excursions, visiting the Alamo, the Majestic Theater and the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.

What places are near Brookdale San Antonio or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Brookdale San Antonio is an assisted living community in San Antonio, Texas also offering Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care for seniors. Nestled on a rolling hill in a quiet residential neighborhood, our vibrant retirement community is conveniently located in the heart of the Medical Center area. We are close to Huebner Oaks Shopping Center and near the best dining options and attractions our city offers.

What transportation services does Brookdale San Antonio offer to assisted living residents?

Our community bus is available 3 days a week to provide for residents’ transportation needs

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale San Antonio offer to assisted living residents?

Along with the fun, fine dining, events and wellness programs, what sets Brookdale San Antonio apart are the friendly staff, ready to help you make each day enjoyable. We respect the independence of each resident, so any care or assistance we provide is on your own terms and in your own time. Whether you need a few housekeeping or home-maintenance services, or more specialized care, you'll find the right care here, delivered by a compassionate and dedicated staff. Residents can feel safe knowing some of the state’s best medical facilities are all within an easy drive. In addition, home health and rehabilitation providers from the immediate area come into our community and offer services such as physical and occupational therapy, here in the comfort of the resident’s own home or in one of our many common areas.

How does Brookdale San Antonio keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

In addition to regular communication between our nurses and residents’ family members, every month one of our administrative staff calls the family member to share and inquire about the resident’s experience, from the family’s perspective.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale San Antonio during daytime and nighttime hours?

During the day our ratio is 1-7, and at night is 1-9.

If Brookdale San Antonio accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale San Antonio is a pet friendly community. Pets are welcomed and even encouraged to join our family.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have a neighborhood setting with three cottages that offer ten spacious apartments each. Each cottage has two caregivers 24/7, a full time activities coordinator that tailors activities to each resident’s likes and needs and a full time nurse dedicated to each cottage. Daytime: 4 staffers for 10 residents; Overnight: 2 staffers for 10 residents. Come see our unique cottage setting.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale San Antonio provide to protect residents who wander?

In our Assisted Living building we continue to observe residents to ensure that they are not a wander risk. Brookdale San Antonio offers a unique Memory Care setting with three intimate collages that offers a feeling like home. We have a neighborhood setting with three cottages that have ten spacious apartments each. We offer utmost safety with coded access doors. Additionally, we have a beautiful backyard that is fenced in with a paved walking pathway to enjoy and explore the outdoors.

What programs or activities does Brookdale San Antonio offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our memory care program, the Clare Bridge Alzheimer's and Dementia Program, is deeply rooted in a person-centered approach focused on creating feelings of belonging and purpose for each resident, while seeking to preserve their identity and sense of self. We believe that no one should be defined by the symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Maintaining identity and a strong sense of self comes from living a life filled with meaning and purpose and contributions — we believe having dementia shouldn’t change that. With gentle guidance and visual reminders, our memory care communities are set up for safe engagement in activities such as gardening, kitchen work, and other projects that provide the opportunity to use meaningful life skills and talents.

One of our three nurses conducts the assessments, partnering with our Clare Bridge Program Manager (to assess cognitive functioning). Assessments are performed at least every six months or upon change of condition.

What techniques does Brookdale San Antonio use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We use our refresh program, with scented, warm towels to prompt residents’ senses at the beginning of every meal. We offer choice to our Memory Care residents to preserve their dignity and independence. We also assist residents to continue to do for themselves as many tasks as possible. This is preferred to merely doing tasks for them.

How does Brookdale San Antonio keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale San Antonio. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Is Brookdale San Antonio affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are conveniently located in the heart of the Medical Center area with many highly rated hospitals and rehabilitation centers only minutes away. Many of our residents and their families prefer Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital, University Hospital and Audie Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital to name a few.

Photos of Brookdale San Antonio

• Tai Chi

• Pets: Yes

• Licenses: Yes

About Brookdale San Antonio

Brookdale San Antonio provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Brookdale Living's San Antonio, TX community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional independent and assisted living services, amenities, and opportunities we offer. And, the residents at Brookdale San Antonio can rest assured that as their needs change, we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of the residents of this independent and assisted living community, their families, and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features, and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg, the mission of Brookdale San Antonio is to encourage our independent and assisted living residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar at Brookdale Living's San Antonio, TX community with themed experiences, special events, and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Internet cafe, Anytime dining with a great extensive menu, Signature spices, Country store, Walking trails Located next to a sister property that has skilled nursing, 7 different floor plans, Billiard room, Activity director does personal profiles to create activities, All rooms have a fridge and microwave

Map of Brookdale San Antonio