Light Heart Memory Care Houston, TX

Reviews of Light Heart Memory Care

Memory Care Reviews for Light Heart Memory Care

March 14, 2018

By DaleP

Light Heart is a most amazing place. It is a home environment for dementia patients that provides the best possible care for each resident. My mother lived there for two years, until she passed away in December. I have been surprised to see patients from other facilities arrive wheel chair bound in a catatonic state, then weeks later see them speaking, walking and eating at the table with the other residents. “It's about the people” The owner, Pat, selects good care givers, sets high expectations, demands excellence and the best people respond. They avoid using drugs to, as other facilities describe it “manage the patient.” Alzheimer's is devastating but they give residents the most life in their situation.

February 22, 2016

By daynasteele

This was a perfect find for my mother in the late stages of Alzheimer's. We liked the private home concept - nothing fancy but felt like home in a house, with a backyard, 8 residents, several caregivers at any given time, homemade meals, music playing, activities, walks down the street. The owner and staff are very well versed in Alzheimer's care and redirection - which is not an easy thing to do. I travel for business and had to be away often. Light Heart gave me tremendous peace of mind that Mom was taken care of and not a danger to herself or anyone else. The staff was very loving with her and I appreciated that. Mom was a former tennis player and they would always look for tennis matches to put on the television - even in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's, she knew a good serve when she heard one. I was impressed that the staff had taken the time to read her bio and knew this was a previous passion of hers. Occasionally Mom was in clothes I had never seen before but after awhile, you just need to get over that. It is the least of your worries and she didn't know any better.

May 06, 2012

By pearland1

I had an aunt that was at Light Heart for the last few months of her life. Light Heart staff took very good care of her, the food was all home-cooked. The house was large and comfortable, and we would highly recommend this facility.

July 23, 2011

By caresurfer

This is a residential assisted living facility. The staff has worked there for quite some time, and they're all very caring and knowledgeable. This facility is more like home. There is a common area and a breakfast area, and it all feels cozy. It's a medium-sized facility, and they do have activities. The location is good. It's in a quiet, safe neighborhood where there's some walking, though there aren't stores to walk to nearby. There is public transportation nearby. They do have some dementia patients, but they're not primarily focused on dementia. The grounds are nice "“ there's a yard for the residents to utilize, and there are a lot of people who come to visit the facility. There's only one big great room for the residents to congregate. The food is good, though it tends towards beans and rice. The owner has more than one facility, but I haven't visited the other facility. She's very in tune with the industry, and she's had this facility for years. People in the area speak highly of this facility.
See all Memory Care reviews (4) See fewer reviews

Costs for Light Heart Memory Care

Photos of Light Heart Memory Care

Services and Amenities of Light Heart Memory Care

• Housing Extra: Private And Shared Rooms

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: Lic 143652

• About Light Heart Memory Care

The Light Heart Model of Care is a significant change in traditional Alzheimer’s care. Light Heart was founded on the premise that a person with dementia relates best to their usual, familiar life-style… living in a home with just a few people. Thus, the Light Heart Model of Care was born … just 8 residents per “home” with 2 caregivers in the daytime and 1 awake staff at night.

The Light Heart Model of Care assesses each resident frequently for his or her level of cognitive awareness, emotional balance, ambulation and dexterity. We also attempt to get a detailed psychosocial history if available. We look for issues the resident had as a young adult as well as who the resident became in middle age. When we combine all this information we can build a picture of the whole person today. We consider this now picture of the resident as their “normal.” This allows us to have a personal relationship with each resident as an individual, not a disease or a child-like adult. We use this information to help us BE in each resident’s reality no matter what they are experiencing. Our staff is trained to accept whatever our resident is saying and/or experiencing as true for them. We remember always that there is still a person inside who feels and senses everything even though they often cannot understand what is going on around them. Our reaction to this dichotomy often determines the resident’s ability to cooperate, socialize, and experience improved quality of life.

Light Heart Memory Care is an Alzheimer’s facility, committed to enriching the lives of people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and other dementias. Founded in 1997 in Clear Lake, Texas, our family style environment and proven strategy for dementia care make Light Heart the ideal choice for persons with memory loss. As a specialized dementia and Alzheimer’s assisted living facility, we provide our residents a more individualized and non-pharmacological approach to care. Our goal is to ensure a comfortable and more familiar surrounding, leading to a more purposeful and satisfying life.

Map of Light Heart Memory Care