Brookdale First Colony Houston, TX

Reviews of Brookdale First Colony

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale First Colony

November 09, 2015

By Robert115592750

I moved into Brookdale First Colony, and this place is excellent. They have it all. Any time I need help, they are there for me. They have a doctor and a physical therapy area. They keep the place clean, so everything has been good.

April 30, 2015

By Robin Mommie

I have visited Brookdale First Colony, and they were great. The apartments were beautiful, and it came with a microwave.

April 29, 2014

Terrace- First Colony is a great place for retired people because they have activities. They're independent, but yes, they are with a group of people their own age. They form friendships; they have a community -- it's great. Upkeeping is pretty good. They also have a service where you can contact for people to come in to their homes occasionally to help them with their medications, which was what we did with my mother-in-law. I think the staff is very loving and very caring. She's happy to be there. She's been there for like 10 years, and so it's her home.

March 29, 2014

By Teresa31

At first, my brother-in-law was apprehensive about what he wants to do at Terrace at First Colony, but they really get you involved there and make you feel welcome. He is the secretary of the little association they developed there. He had adjusted very well. It's mainly an apartment style living as opposed to an enclosed setting with the rooms literally in an enclosed building. The facility offers both assisted and private living, so he's able to do his daily duties on his own. He has a vehicle, so he is able to drive if he needs to. They have also the bus service that is offered for the whole community. They provide two meals a day. You do have the option of three meals a day, that's an extra expense if you want. You have a nice kitchen in your apartment to be able to cook if you choose or prepare on your own as well. He truly loves it there.

March 24, 2014

I like the First Colony. It's close to all my friends and somebody can reach me. The staff was very good. They have exercises and swimming. I checked a 1-bedroom apartment. It's pretty good and there's a nice full kitchen. They've asked me to choose the color, the carpet, and the countertop.

February 24, 2014

By Janet72600350

My mother moved in last December in Terrace at First Colony. She's beginning to adjust and goes to everybody. I think it’s a good facility. You're getting want you pay for. The apartments are very nice. They wear name tags so they know each other, that's very nice too. After losing my dad she needs company, they were willing to take her dog. That's God sent. They have lots of activities planned every minute of the day. They have movies, bingo, outings to restaurants and different things. You just choose what you want to do. The only thing we had to get used to is that it wasn't an indoor facility where all the apartments were indoors. It's like a Spanish villa, almost everything's kind of open. They have four courtyards that when you walk out of your apartment, you have an open walkway covered by the building. That is a drawback at first that we really had to consider it but it's not a big deal.

September 13, 2013

By Victor4

We knew a number of people at the Terrace at First Colony. We looked for a community and some places had a cold atmosphere. Everybody there was friendly and we liked it. They were prompt at getting out requests done. It was also closer to our church. It was a two bedroom place. However, our cats wouldn't be able to go out because the doors did not face outside.

July 24, 2013

By caring6641

The Terrace is fine, it's very clean, there was nothing wrong with it, but we just decided not to go that route. They had activities weekly. They had apartment type rooms.

Questions about Brookdale First Colony

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale First Colony. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have an independent living population ranging from 65+. They enjoy, walking, baking, playing cards, over night trips and crafting.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

First Colony Mall is within minutes from our community. We are close to restaurants, museums, ballparks and more!

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale First Colony has organized?

We are ensuring our residents are safe and have limited off-site outings to site seeing trips.

What transportation services does Brookdale First Colony offer to independent living residents?

We offer transportation with a van, and bus with lift.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale First Colony exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our chef enjoys cooking from scratch. Many recipes come from our residents favorite cookbooks and made by our chef for all to enjoy. Our menu consists of a well balanced meal put together by our company dieticians. Our daily menu will always offer 3 choices plus our bistro with soups, salads and sandwiches and much more to enjoy throughout the day.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

We have many common areas for residents to enjoy. A fitness room, courtyards, private dining room, movie theater, putting green and large community rooms. We are limiting our capacity to all common areas during COVID to 10 for the safety of all.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale First Colony offer to independent living residents?

We offer security gates that can only be accessed by residents with an electric gate opener. All guest must sign in at the front office. Covid, has added additional safety measures with ensuring all guests are temperature checked upon visiting and all associates, residents and any guest must be wearing a face mask at all time while on campus.

If Brookdale First Colony accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Yes. We are a pet friendly community. Pets can enjoy a stroll through the community on a leash with their owner or enjoy the secured pet park on campus.

Does Brookdale First Colony work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Yes. We offer our residents medical assistance when needed with the ease of Personalized Living services which is part of our Brookdale Family. A resident can also choose to hire their own nurse or medical assistant if needed.

Photos of Brookdale First Colony

Services and Amenities of Brookdale First Colony

• Housing Extra: One Bedroom, One Bath With A Study

• Dining Extra: Every Apartment Home Has A Full Kitchen

• Golf
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym, Daily 10am Resident Check

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Resident Run Putting Clubs Along With Many Other Resident Run Events. Happy Hours Monthly With Live Entertainment. Scheduled Outings

• Home Sale Assistance

About Brookdale First Colony

Brookdale First Colony provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

Our Optimum Life® and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining, with fresh meals prepared by chefs trained in our own Culinary Arts Institute, and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program. These activities fill the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities highlighting different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

EAT American Bistro --- Designed to reinvent the dining experience, EAT American Bistro offers all day dining in an inviting social lounge atmosphere.

Map of Brookdale First Colony