Parkwood Retirement Community

Assisted Living Reviews for Parkwood Retirement Community

Independent Living Reviews for Parkwood Retirement Community

May 11, 2021

By Sartin22

My Dad was a resident at Parkwood for 10 years. He loved living at Parkwood. Dad made friends, stayed active, his apartment was great and we all LOVED the food! The management team knew my Dad and we felt kept a special eye on him. I learned from speaking to other resident family members they felt their parents were getting special treatment too. What a great feeling to know that your parents are living “independently” yet the peace you get knowing there is an extra set of eyes watching out for them. Sadly, our Dad “outgrew” Parkwood and was unable to live independently and we decided he should move in with my sister. When it came time for my husband and I to find a new home for his mother (mom) we immediately contacted Parkwood! Luckily, Parkwood had a vacancy, and we were able to move Mom in! She has been a resident for almost three weeks, and she LOVES Parkwood like my Dad did. She has made friends, is active and LOVES the food! Here is to Parkwood! Cheers!

We appreciate your kind feedback of Parkwood Retirement Community and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are grateful that your father was and now your mother-in-law is a part of our community!

May 07, 2021

By LindaGarman

I am very happy here. The people are very nice. The staff is wonderful. The meals are quite tasty and they really try to know what each individual likes. There is a lot to do and we have a lot of good programs. There are a lot of beautiful trees. I definitely recommend Parkwood.

Thank you Linda! We appreciate your kind words more than we can say. The greatest compliment that we can receive is when our residents take the time to tell others about Parkwood and give their recommendation. Thank you again very much!

May 05, 2021

By Jane R.

I feel like this is my home now. It is a very friendly place. The staff is fantastic and are always willing to help with anything that comes up. The residents are all friendly. It is a happy place to be! The food is delicious. I would definitely recommend Parkwood and anybody with whom I come in contact I tell them about Parkwood!

Jane, thank you very much for your kind review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings about living at Parkwood. We are grateful to have you as part of our community and honored to have earned your trust. Thank you again!

May 05, 2021

By Francesca M.

I am very comfortable at Parkwood and I feel very safe. There is a very community-like environment here. It is an active community. People are very nice. The staff are very helpful. Good meals and activities. I definitely recommend Parkwood!

Your review is the best compliment we can receive. We love the fact that Parkwood Retirement is your "home" and you feel safe. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and let us know how we are doing. Take care!

April 27, 2021

By Ruth W.

I am well pleased with my decision to move to Parkwood. The staff are all very helpful and any time there is a need they take care of it. The food is always very well prepared. The other folks are very nice and I have made a lot of friends. There are excellent programs available. I would recommend Parkwood!

Ruth, thank you for your kind review! We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience. Have a great day.

April 25, 2021

By Gerald S.

The people are very nice. All of my neighbors know me and are my friends. I feel at home. The food is good. The staff are all very nice and helpful. I would heartily recommend Parkwood to anyone!

April 05, 2021

By Christine

We toured Parkwood Retirement Community. I did a virtual tour and then I did an in-person tour. It was a great tour. The staff was very informative and very helpful. The buildings themselves were older, just by the looks of them on the outside. Inside the apartments, they're way more spacious than many others that I have seen. They've got lots of space. Lots more than I thought they would have. Each apartment complex has a storage unit, not in their apartment, but outside of their apartment, so that's very nice. It's a pretty good location. There's not too much traffic and they're right near the hospital. They will provide breakfast and lunch. You can also take extra food back with you to your apartment if you want it for dinner. They also had transportation, if needed, for doctors' appointments. They also go to Wal-Mart weekly and they alternate between Kroger, Walgreens, and Albertson's. They do fun activities where they take a group of residents to see Christmas lights etc. The only thing that was different for them is that the resident has to pay for their own electricity. The facility pays for the water, the sewer, the trash, the internet, and the TV. They offer activities in their common area. They have a beautiful garden on the interior area. There is an outside garden, but it's in the center of the complex. Each apartment has a washer and dryer connection on the 1st floor. On the 2nd and 3rd floor, they do not. They have a laundromat pretty close to all of their apartments so that they can go and do their own laundry or they can pay to have their laundry done. Having only dealt with one staff member, I would have to rate that a 4. If the rest of the staff are similar to the staff member I met, or they go above and beyond like she does, I would put them at a 5. They had the most reasonable prices. The facility was excellent for the most part, but there's always somewhere to improve. I saw the dining room, but it was not during a meal.

Christine, Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us this review. Thank you again!

March 29, 2021

By Andy Mercer

Parkwood is a GREAT place to live. Everyone on the staff knows my name. That's important because if I don't make it to a meal, someone comes to check on me to see if I'm OK. I heartily recommend Parkwood to any one who is considering a retirement community.

Andy, we are honored to earn your endorsement. Thank you for sharing your experience. Take care!

March 22, 2021

By LCK2

Mom lived at Parkwood for several years and loved it. She had a large two bedroom apartment and it was very roomy. She loved the kitchen and the patio. The outdoor space is wonderful, tons of trees and grass. She was made to feel welcome from the moment she moved to Parkwood. The residents and staff are one big family, everyone is so friendly. We looked at many places in three states and this was the one that felt like "home". We cant' say enough good things about Parkwood, it was a wonderful home for mom.

Your review is so kind and heartfelt. Thank you! We are so pleased to hear that your mother loved Parkwood as her HOME! Thank you for sharing . We appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a positive review.

March 19, 2021

By Norma T.

I have lived at Parkwood for several years and love this community. The people are very nice. I enjoy the games and fellowship with my friends and neighbors. The staff is very nice. Parkwood has become my home.

March 19, 2021

By Marilyn

I went to Parkwood Retirement Community. There was a little disadvantage there because they were still operating under strict COVID guidelines, so I didn't get to see people, or anything happening, and she said they were starting back mid-March to the use of the dining room, and other stuff. The largest two-bedrooms they have are very, very small. It would not work for us. I loved the staff member. She was wonderful, she was really, really very nice, and I liked the other women that were there. It's just difficult when you don't see anything happening. They have meals, they have exercises, a fitness center, they have a book club, entertainment, socials, and games. It's old, and it's thirty five years old. There's a difference in the feel.

Marilyn, thank you for sharing your experience. We are all working hard to maintain normalcy. We have taken on the challenge and have been creative so we can continue to provide engaging activities to support our residents during this unprecedented time. We treasure the relationships we have built and we are honored to support our residents in so many ways.

February 24, 2021

By Donna Henson

I have lived at Parkwood Retirement for almost three years. Coming here was an excellent choice and has more than met my needs for this time of life. Especially going from one stage to another. For example, I recently sold my car, but I have comfort in knowing that Parkwood offers transportation. The people here are all very friendly. Everyone I meet is a new friend. The staff are also especially good at what they do. I always tell other people about Parkwood! Definitely 5 Stars!

Donna, Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience. Have a great day!

February 08, 2021

By Peter and Sue Gilman

We have lived at Parkwood for two years and have been impressed with all aspects of the community and what it offers the residents. The staff is outstanding, particularly in their sincere interest in the welfare and comfort of the residents . They are personable, friendly and available. A variety of activities are provided, but there is no pressure to participate. Our two bedroom apartment is comfortable and quite adequate for senior living. We have washer and dryer connections , but communal laundry facilities are also available. A full kitchen allows us to cook if we desire, but breakfast and lunch is provided. The free TV service is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living! Your recommendation means so much to us and we are so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience. Have a great day.

January 25, 2021

By Steve

Parkwood Retirement Community was great. Kim did a wonderful job. The apartment was clean and well set up, but it's small for my taste. I like Parkwood and that's my choice, but ultimately it's gonna be my mother's choice, and it's definitely up to her.

Steve, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living. We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further assist with your selection process. We are always available to answer any questions that come up. Take care!

January 21, 2021

By Dwain Ingram

I love the friendliness of the staff and residents. They are always willing to help.

Hi Dwain, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! Thank you for taking the time to share with us. Have a great day!

January 19, 2021

By Mike

My mom absolutely LOVES her new home at Parkwood. The staff is wonderful, always ready to help with anything you need. It's a very friendly environment, just like one big family. Food is good and there is plenty of it and there are lots of activities to choose from. I love Parkwood too, because my Mom is safe, secure and enjoying life.

It is truly an honor to earn this amazing review! We believe that Parkwood Retirement is one big family that cares for one another. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. But even more so, we are happy to have your mother AND YOU as a member of our family! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

December 20, 2020

By evabeth

I consider myself very lucky to be here at Parkwood because it really feels like home. The staff is so attentive and caring. They work diligently to make sure all of our needs are met. The residents are friendly and welcoming. There are plenty of activities to engage in, and an excellent activity director. The apartment is perfect for me and I enjoy having a balcony, a walk-in shower, and a nice kitchen. The food is very well prepared and seasoned and choices are always offered. Parkwood is also close to assisted living, nursing care and a hospital when the need arises.

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living! We too feel that Parkwood Retirement is one big family that cares for one another. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience. Have a great day.

December 19, 2020

By Sarine

I am very pleased with the personal attention given residents and the caring attitude around the buildings. Staff knows we residents by name and where we live. Every effort is made to keep residents engaged and active. Puzzles and activities are provided to keep our minds sharp. Our apartments are spacious and comfortable. Maintenance is available for any problem in a timely manner by a great maintenance team. We are blessed with our community of medical, shopping, entertainment and all types of cuisine surrounding our area. If you are looking for a great place to join a community of great people Parkwood is your place. Visit us for your own personal check. We welcome you!

We are honored to earn this review and we appreciate your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you love Parkwood as your home! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a positive review. Take care!

December 14, 2020

By rrmpitts

We have lived in Parkwood for 5 and 1/2 years and so thankful we found a place that feels like home. The room is just what we needed as we have an extra large bedroom that I can set up my office in it. The house keeping is womderful. They clean every thing including the stove, micro wave and refigerator. The activities director is the best I have ever seen and they have some thing to do at all times even through the viris restictions they always find some activities to keep us busy. It is so nice to have a beauty shop were we don't have to go out for hair, toe nails etc. If we need a Flu shot they bring in a nurse to provide for all of that. I would rate this as one of the best and most reasonable independent living facilities in the area.

It is truly an honor to earn this amazing review! We believe that Parkwood Retirement is one big family that cares for one another. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. But even more so, we are happy to have you as a member of our family! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

November 17, 2020

By bedfordresident

My mother has lived at Parkwood for approximately 4 years. Parkwood has been a blessing for my mother as she can still live independently and for the social activities. There are organized games, rides to the grocery store and doctor appointments, field trips, parties, music. (Pre-COVID, social distancing in effect at the time of this review). The apartment is nice, laundry nearby, grounds are well-kept, and the maintenance team responds quickly to even small requests like a light bulb needs changed. The staff are wonderful and go above and beyond and truly care for the residents. The staff reaches out to me if there is any issue or concern with my mother. I highly recommend this facility!

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Independent Living! Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. Have a great day.

February 19, 2020

By Reviewer2720

My parents are at Parkwood Retirement Community and it's been great. The director bent over backwards to help us get situated. I couldn't be happier with how much they care about everybody and how helpful they are to the family, and not just the people living there. Everything looks good. It's clean and well taken care of. We've had no issues at all. They have field trips, exercise classes, and trivia classes. There's always something going on. They've been very happy with the food. It feels homey.

Thank you so much for your positive comments about Parkwood Independent Living! We are always more than happy to assist you if anything comes up. Thank you again for letting our team know how we did. Take care!

March 14, 2018

By Beth

We visited Parkwood Retirement, and it was nice. The staff was very nice, followed with us up very well, and brought us a gift around Thanksgiving. Everybody seemed happy. It was cheerful, comfortable, and had a little more space than other facilities. However, it was spread out quite a bit. There were three or four buildings, and there were a lot of ramps going up and down. It would be hard for us to get around.

Beth, we appreciate your kind words about the staff. Our campus design allows for the apartment buildings to be surrounds by beautiful courtyards, mature trees and gazebos for outdoor socialization. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

January 31, 2018

By Linda

We visited the independent living section of Parkwood Healthcare, although they also have assisted living. Their large 1-bedroom apartment is nice, but the 2-bedroom is small. The place is very well-maintained, and their staff is very excellent, friendly, and personable. They have amenities like a fitness center, they also have shuttles that run every day to grocery stores or to take the seniors on excursions, to see musicals or the theater. They really do a lot of things all the time there. I liked everything about them except for the size of the 2-bedroom apartment. The people that I saw looked very content and happy where they were.

Linda, thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Parkwood Retirement. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Questions about Parkwood Retirement Community

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Parkwood Retirement Community. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Many residents are in their early 80’s to mid-80’s. Our residents are active seniors who enjoy many community activities like games, exercise classes, book club, arts and crafts and outings.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Residents enjoy the movie theater, many local restaurants and shopping choices.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Parkwood Retirement Community has organized?

Residents enjoy many off-site outings including visits to local restaurants, antique mall and tea room, The Dallas Arboretum, shopping trips and the theater.

What transportation services does Parkwood Retirement Community offer to independent living residents?

We provide free transportation within a 5 mile-radius and offer service for doctor appointments and trips to the grocery store, Walmart, banks and dining. We also provide transportation for cultural events and life enrichment activities.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Parkwood Retirement offers several indoor and outdoor common areas for the comfort and enjoyment of our residents. These include the club house, game room, activity room, library, lobby, private dining and three outdoor gazebos.

What safety features or security measures does Parkwood Retirement Community offer to independent living residents?

Daily check-ins and an emergency response system are included in the base rent.

If Parkwood Retirement Community accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Parkwood Retirement is a pet-friendly community and offers ample greenspace and walking paths for pets. Additionally, pets are welcome on the private apartment patios.

Does Parkwood Retirement Community work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Residents have the flexibility to hire home care services that meet their needs. We have a preferred home health provider on site.

Costs for Parkwood Retirement Community

Photos of Parkwood Retirement Community

Services and Amenities of Parkwood Retirement Community

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

About Parkwood Retirement Community

Experience the Parkwood Community difference. It is unique in many regards - many of our staff have been with us for ten years or longer (some as long as twenty.) Parkwood has a beautiful Independent and Healthcare campus nestled in the woods in one of the prettiest parts of Bedford. Parkwood offers independent living for active seniors in beautiful surroundings with spacious efficiency, one bedroom and two-bedroom apartment homes.

What Makes Parkwood Different:

• Affordability
  • Full-size kitchens
  • Private patios
  • Tenured staff
  • Positive reviews and reputation
  • Greenspace
  • All levels of care on one campus

Amenities Included in The Monthly Rate:

• Home-cooked meals served daily
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Scheduled transportation
  • Monitored emergency call systems
  • Scheduled activities & outings
  • Most utilities including Wi-Fi, television, etc.

Full healthcare services are available next door at our sister community, Parkwood Healthcare. They provide Assisted Living, Memory Care, and a Skilled Nursing Rehab and Long-Term Care. We are the ONLY community in the mid cities area that offers the full continuum of care therefore allowing you to age within the same community and get all the care needed.

Come visit Parkwood and experience the difference.

The caring staff at Parkwood is devoted to your individual needs, creating an atmosphere of warmth and friendliness. It’s the right place for you now, and with our continuum of care, it’s the right place for your future.

Map of Parkwood Retirement Community