Helena Place

Assisted Living Reviews for Helena Place

June 13, 2011

By Kathy Deringer

Visited this facility

Port Royal is a charming and friendly town, close to Parris Island Marine Base and some of the most beautiful marshy waterways. The Helena House is situated well, along a quiet road and next to a historic red train caboose. You expect there to be the same charm within, but sadly it fell short. Both times that I visited, it took quite some time to even get someone to come to the front door. Once inside, my impression did not improve. If I were to base it solely on decor, it would have been better as it is not lavish, but simply and tastefully adorned. My feelings come from the lack of staff available to assist us, and the feeling that the ones we could find, were not as helpful as other communities we visited. The other concern I had was the lack of a facility van to transport the residents. This is the first Assisted Living I have heard of that does not offer this vital service. The grounds are quite nice and the rooms were also cozy and inviting. It is not a large building, and just one level, which helps add to the charm. The main gathering area as you walk in the front door, was also a nice placement and those residents gathered there, seemed very comfortable. I know that they are working on improvements with the other issues and I feel certain that in time they will turn some things around.

About Helena Place

At Helena House in Port Royal, South Carolina, our services and programs -- including assisted living, companion living, and respite care -- fulfill our residents' needs. Whether someone is active and likes to have a full social calendar, or prefers to relax and takes things more slowly, our varying levels of service and activities will accommodate each resident's lifestyle.

Our assisted living residences offer seniors the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing atmosphere free of the daily worries associated with living alone. At Helena House, we provide a high level of service with a personal and caring touch.

We combine retirement living with comfort and luxury in a beautiful independent setting.

Map of Helena Place