The Cottages at Brushy Creek

Reviews of The Cottages at Brushy Creek

Nursing Home Reviews for The Cottages at Brushy Creek

March 22, 2019

By fourthdaymom

Understaffed or unorganized to the point that nurses have minimal contact with patients and have no idea of how they are or if they need medical attention. Delayed meals, no communication between doctor and family; case workers do not return calls. Doors are left unlocked in one of the cottages. No apparent concern by the staff that this is a safety issue. Quality of this facility has drastically declined in the last two-three years. If there are activities, they are not publicized in a manner that all patients are aware of them.

March 10, 2019

By really disappointed in the administrators

I blame adminstration for not monitoring/supervising/overseeing the CNA's and nurses. The CNA's/nurses are often at the desk on the computer or their phones. Basic care is lacking-yes, the meals are served late and attitudes are often sullen. Don't get me wrong-there are some wonderful, caring people, but I find those in the minority. One major problem is the 12 hours' shift they opt to work. Sure, they want to work only three days, but are they providing the best care possible in those 12 hours? No. Eight hour shifts would decrease fatigue and surliness. Yes, this place is also really understaffed-of course, that is the bottom line-for profit-and the fewer employees the more money they make. Running between two and three cottages is not a good plan. What about an emergency? What about the night shift? Who is supervising them? I don't see any supervision during the day, so I am guessing the night is the same. This place was great when the hospital system ran it. I pray Providence is going to do better, but so far, I don't see any proof. Mrs. Administrator, please do a better job of supervising your facility.

January 18, 2019

By never ever

i spent 7 days in this place. the rooms were small. the tv was broke when i got there and the day i was leaving they came in to fix it. the toilet flooded the bathroom. the room was not cleaned until the day i was leaving left. i decided to leave the place and was told i could not leave so i left against their wishes. it was a bad dream. i would not send my worse enemy there.

April 29, 2018

By freddie1970

Relationship: I am/was a resident of this facility Content: I was a resident of the Crepe Myrtle Cottage for 5 days in April 2018 after spinal fusion surgery. I did not research this facility prior to being placed there. Big mistake. The staff at Crepe Myrtle was great. It was obvious they were working short staffed and trying to do the best they could under less than optimal circumstances they had no control over. After I arrived, it took close to 24 hours to get my medicines delivered by the courier coming from Spartanburg. There were several nights when there was one RN in the Cottage and no other staff to assist her in meeting the needs of the 9-12 patients in the building. As a result of the short staffing, meals were late and meds came at inconsistent times.They do not have an EKG machine should a patient be experiencing heart related issues. I would not recommend this place unless the person admitted has a strong advocate to ensure his/her needs are being met. Overall, It was not a good experience for me and had it not been for a great OTA and PTA, I would have asked to go home even sooner than I did.

February 18, 2018

By jlcp

When this facility was run by Greenville Health Systems it was a high quality care place. This is no longer true since being taken over by Oriana. I have a relative that is a long term patient there that requires skilled nursing and I have watched that care slide dramatically. In the beginning while they still had adequate staff that were assigned to just one cottage and was familiar with the residents and their needs, the care was awesome. As those things changed the care changed with it. Long term quality care is now lacking. Per state codes, there should be 2 cna's, 1 lpn and 1 floating nurse for each cottage. What a joke!! There are huge staffing issues with this facility. Since Oriana took over they have lost the biggest majority of their high quality staff to other facilities. They are hiring just about anyone now and the quality of care shows. If you are not involved on a daily basis with the care of your loved one, then I can assure you, that most of them are not getting what they need. When there are, at times, only 1 cna for 12 rooms (9 being the state standard) how do they think that these people are being properly cared for?? Within the last week I went in at 10 AM and the residents were just being served breakfast, which is normally served around 8:30. Reason?, one CNA for all 12 rooms and not one nurse in sight. This is way too often the norm. They will tell you in the front office that the nurse is counted as a cna and should be helping. Ask a nurse and you will hear the opposite. The door to each cottage is like a revolving one. Staff changes more often that you can imagine. All the goods ones that were left over from the Greenville Health days are long gone, and the few decent ones that are left are overworked and underpaid and are slowly finding better opportunities, and none of the administrative staff seem to care. If I had a choice I would not put my loved one, that requires long term care and has special needs, in any Oriana facility. I'm sure the short term rehab reviews will be more positive, because they are not there long enough to find out differently.

November 29, 2017

By PRC

This facility continues to be understaffed at the residents expense. When asking administration about staffing issues, the reply is that they meet DHEC regulations. The staff (CNA's and cottage nurses) also change constantly. The newer CNA's seem to be there for a paycheck and not for the well being of the residents. The family member will need to be constantly involved and be on top of their loved one's care. Food is less than adequate. I would not recommend this facility to anyone that has a family member that would be solely dependent on the CNA staff.

July 14, 2016

By RSchulte

The facility is extremely understaffed and the residents are paying the price. The quality of food is awful. There is a lack of communication. When my mom was a new resident in 2012, I was very pleased. As time passed, you could see frequent changes in staff along with discontent of the staff. There is not enough help for that many residents per cottage. I would not recommend this facility. When an issue is brought to the attention of supervisors, it seems to fall on deaf ears.

September 02, 2015

By draughter

My Mom was at the Cottages for over 3 Years and just passed away! My Dad is there now!! The Staff is wonderful and the facility is clean. However since they have collected well over 200,000 thousand dollars you would think they would send someone to attend the service for my Mom!! I remember how Poppy called with Glee about good news for My Mom about a room available after she saw Dad's bank account and a miracle a room available after Dad had a bad fall and needed care!! I feel that they really dI'd not have any physical therapy for Mom and not sure about Dad!! The Decor is Beautiful though!

July 12, 2015

My grandmother is at The Cottages at Brushy Creek. That's where she is doing her rehab. Her experience has been good, but we have had some issues with them as well, so I'm not 100% with them. It just seemed like they have more turnover, and there needs to be more nurses because I think that they're spread too thin. However, the facility itself is clean and nice, and they are friendly, but I just think that maybe they're spread too thin.

May 09, 2014

By hgorrell

I went there for 3 weeks after a double knee replacement. I was anxious about going there after seeing all the bad and so-so reviews for The Cottages, but that was not my experience at all! I thought they took excellent care of me! Anytime I ran the buzzer, someone was there within 5 minutes or less, and I felt like the staff really did care about the patients. People need to realize that no place is going to be like home. I've visited elderly people in other places, and was often appalled by what I saw. This place is head and shoulders above most of these types of places. The food wasn't the healthiest in the world, but they did try to work with you as best they could, and it was pretty tasty for the most part. I would advise anyone needing pain meds to anticipate the need, and make sure you do not call for meds during the busiest times, like change of shift or meal times; but that is true anywhere. If you have realistic expectations, this is a very good place, with caring staff, and facilities are quite nice. Each individual room has its own 35 inch HDTV. I noticed no odors or negligence of any kind. Maybe some cottages are better than others. I was in the Magnolia Cottage, and can only speak highly of everyone there.

August 16, 2013

By "praying I go with my boots on"

This is a beautiful facility, but my relative is not happy there. She keeps telling me that there is a "skelton" crew or that it is running by itself. That comment worries me. The staff is super nice, kind, and patient. BUT, I do agree with other's observations that, sometimes, there seems to be very few people around (staff). One major deficiency is the quality of food. Our relative does not eat often and she tells us her tables mates refuse to eat often. At the cost charged, this is a travesty. I think the administration could do better.

September 12, 2012

By Cbramlett24

The cottages is very Clean enviorment.The people Seem to be on top of things as they should.Very caring an Loving.Although They seemed to care they def. were strict on my grandpa going outside an eating he had to have a feeding tube an wouldnt let him go out side for fresh air But overall his experince there was great he felt like a baby and didnt like that very much but they took really good care of him an stayed on top of the most important things an made sure he was Comfortable.I would Def. recommened them to a friend there very clean organized an caring

August 20, 2012

By Cary H

Nice new buildings make up the Cottages at Brushy Creek which is something uncommon in my area. Many older nursing homes are still around. The facilities at the Cottages are top-notch. They have nice furniture, a nice wide screen television and even a fireplace though I think it may have just been for looks. They have a kitchen area where patients can walk up, tell the cook what they want and pretty much get what food they want to eat every time (within reason of course). Since the buildings new they have not accumulated a lot of wear and tear and it really looks like a lodge you would stay at if not for the nursing station in the middle of the room. Each cottage is a self contained entity and there is only a sidewalk connecting the various cottages. There is no central location in this type of setup. I think it is a great concept for those that can get around on their own. My ex-husband was bed-bound so he could not enjoy the amenities the Cottages had to offer. As great as the building and concept were, the staff there deserved a rating of 1 star hence my overall rating of 3 stars. There was suppose to be a nurse always present in each cottage but in off hours this almost was never the case. In fact one time when I was there after 11PM, there was only a cleaning woman in the cottage that my ex-husband was residing in. My ex-husband said they close his door off and not respond to his calls for help and I think that probably did occur. He was not so confused that he did not know what was occurring to him. My impression of the staff was that they most likely took shortcuts when no one but the patient was present. I don't know if you are looking for a recommendation or not. I would recommend the Cottages at Brushy Creek for anyone that was still able to do some things for themselves. I would not recommend the facility to anyone that was bed-bound or had a lot of dementia related problems as the staff was lacking in my admittedly unprofessional opinion.

August 20, 2012

By jpsmoothy

i hated the fact that my family put my grandparents in a nursing home bad enough, but when i saw how unhappy they were there it convinced me to never let my kids do that to me. the smell was the worst smell i've ever had the displeasure to encounter. the food looked nasty but was by all means better than hospital food. the staff seemed nice enough and i never had a reason to suspect any kind of abuse from them twards my grand parents. the whole thing just seemed wrong somehow. ive already told the people that are closest to me me that if i ever get to the point that i need to be cared for by an outside entity, that i am to be put down.

April 18, 2012

By A2FZ37X4VH9R9B

The Cottages at Brushy Creek was a very clean facility. It was fashioned like a lodge with stone walls and wooden floors. Each independent unit housed 12 patients. The cooking was done in the unit by a cook that would cook to order for those able to express their food wants. There was a center area with couches, chairs and plasma TV. These were the positive aspects of the facility.There too many negatives so I removed my father from the facility. The staffing level for nursed was substandard. Many times there would be no qualified medical personnel in the building and I would wait 30-45 minutes for a nurse to come from another building if I had a question about my father. One time my father fell out of the bed and 2 patients helped back in the bed as no employees were to be found. On several occasion my father had dried feces on his gown. The administrative people were terrible. For example I could have purchased an air mattress for 750 dollars. I only found out about this when I received a bill for 900 for air mattress rental (30 days at 30 dollars per day). I feel the administration was deceitful about costs and had zero interest in help the family save money. I would never trust those people even if they told me "water was wet"I would not recommend The Cottages at Brushy Creek to anyone

March 22, 2012

By O'Neal

Overall I was disappointed with my father's experience at the Cottages. The facility itself was lovely. As the name suggests, there are 10 or so cottages on a small campus, each housing 10-12 residents each. The buildings were newly built in a lovely Arts and Crafts style.The staff I dealt with seemed overall to be willing to help but unable due to strict rules about their authority. On one occasion while visiting my father, I felt sure he was suffering from a UTI. (I had cared for him at home for several years previously and was familar with his symptoms.) The staff member there at the time was not allowed to call the doctor in directly. She promised to work up the chain of command to find someone who could do this, which lead to me being finally called back at 3 am to be informed my father had a UTI.Conversely, the people in the billing office felt free to order whatever they wanted for my father without consulting me. When I went to pay the second months bill, it was 600 dollars too much. On inquiry, they informed me they had started renting an air mattress for my dad at 20 dollars a day. When I complained of the cost and not being asked, they informed me I could just buy the same mattress outright for less than the one month's rental.I saw no signs of any sorts of physical or mental abuse. And the cottage was always well maintained. But as one of the most expensive assisted living facilities in Greenville county, I expected much more.

About The Cottages at Brushy Creek

The Cottages at Brushy Creek is a senior living provider in Greer, South Carolina that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact The Cottages at Brushy Creek for more details on services and rates.

Map of The Cottages at Brushy Creek