Ellenwood is located in the northwest region of Georgia just 25 minutes from the capital city of Atlanta. It’s situated in DeKalb County, a large community in which seniors make up over 12% of the population. Local seniors have access to high-performing hospitals that provide general and specialty services, including Southern Regional Medical Center in nearby Riverdale and Piedmont Henry Hospital in Stockbridge, making it a good option for those managing chronic health conditions. For those who need post-hospital care, the city is an economical option. According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, local nursing home rates are well below the national average at $6,950 per month.

Nursing homes are staffed with licensed healthcare professionals who provide around-the-clock medical care and monitoring, personal care, meals and therapy. For those who need a lesser degree of care, assisted living or home health care may be even more affordable options.

This guide provides an overview of nursing home costs in Ellenwood and compares those fees to rates charged in nearby cities, as well as the costs of alternative care options. It also highlights the programs and agencies available to local seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Ellenwood, GA

Riverdale Place Care and Rehabilitation Center

315 UPPER RIVERDALE ROAD, Riverdale, GA, 30274

honesty caring devoted loving loves their work
honesty caring devoted loving loves their work

Glenwood Health and Rehabilitation Center

4115 GLENWOOD RD, Decatur, GA, 30032

My father is at Glenwood Health and Rehabilitation Center. I saw him today because he had a doctors’ appointment. He likes it. He’s a smoker, and they allow him to smoke, so he likes that aspect of it … (read more)

A. G. Rhodes Health and Rehab

350 Boulevard Southeast, Atlanta, GA, 30312

My friend is in A. G. Rhodes Health and Rehab for rehab. It was very well maintained, clean, and the staff that I met at the front desk was very helpful. Everything seemed to be in place and in order. … (read more)

Jonesboro Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

2650 Highway 138, Jonesboro, GA, 30236

PLEASE RUN! DONT SEND ANYONE YOU LOVE HERE! My mother had a knee replacement and was sent to the facility for physical therapy. She went on this past Friday and we moved here today. My family and I to … (read more)

Georgia Regional Hosp Ltc Unit

3073 PANTHERSVILLE RD, SNF BLDG. #17, Decatur, GA, 30034

After being admitted to this facility, we could not be more pleased with how they treated my family member. My father-in-law was admitted here and we were always welcomed by the nurses and the physici … (read more)

Laurel Park at Henry Med Center

1050 Hospital Drive, Stockbridge, GA, 30281

I am currently at Laurel Park at Henry Med Center. They are keeping me in bed 24 hours a day. I feel like if I had physical therapy I could get up and get out of here. The food is very good and the st … (read more)

Reliable Health & Rehab at Lakewood

1980 Arrow Street SW, Atlanta, GA, 30310

Although there are some nice people at the facility, I have found it difficult to get a few of the night shift nurses to do anything for my disabled husband. He has a track record of severe UTIs, a … (read more)

Lake City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

2055 Rex Road, Lake City, GA, 30260

I wish I could -100 stars. This establishment needs tp be shut down. This is the “facility” from HELL! I had a sibling who stayed here for a few weeks and they treated her horribly and barely ten … (read more)

Crestview Health & Rehab Ctr

2800 Springdale Road, Atlanta, GA, 30315

This facility has changed for the better over the years. They have a new Rehab unit that is doing very well with stroke patients. There is no odor and the front staff is friendly and helpful.

Bonterra Nursing Center

2801 FELTON DRIVE, East Point, GA, 30344

My family was here for a year & when she got home she had black dirt build on her body from not being bathe. Only a wash up in the bed. Feet havent been touched. Didnt give her no therapy. Her leg … (read more)

Arrowhead Healthcare

239 ARROWHEAD BOULEVARD, Jonesboro, GA, 30236

Arrowhead is a great facility! It may not be the newest building around but it’s clean and more than anything, the staff really care! I get my medicine on time and they all attend to my needs anyt … (read more)

East Lake Arbor

304 FIFTH AVENUE, Decatur, GA, 30030

This is a home to avoid if at all possible. They try to be impressive but the care is lacking. The physical therapy is a joke. There are a few good care givers here but the unfit one s over ride th … (read more)

Pruitt Health – Decatur Nursing Home

3200 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA, 30034

This is not a place for your family member. I would not recommend this facility to anyone. My husband was only there for one night and it was the worst experience of his life. He was placed in a dia … (read more)

Fulton Center for Rehabilitation

2850 Springdale Road SW, Atlanta, GA, 30315

My mom was at Fulton Center for 3 months. It was horrible; they’re horrible. There were broken equipments, broken beds, broken call lights, and unresponsive staff. The people were OK. However, they ju … (read more)

College Park Health Care Center

1765 Temple Avenue, College Park, GA, 30337

Nursing Home Costs in Ellenwood, Georgia

In Ellenwood, nursing homes charge approximately $6,950 per month for shared rooms. Single-resident rooms are several hundred dollars more expensive at $7,559.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Ellenwood is among the more expensive cities in Georgia for nursing home care, but it’s an affordable option compared to the typical U.S. city. Local facilities charge $6,950 per month for semiprivate rooms. By comparison, the state rate is $6,722 per month, and the national average is $7,756.

Nursing home care in Georgia is moderately priced, with care in most surveyed cities coming in below the national average. The most affordable city in the state to obtain this level of care is Athens, where residents pay $6,266 per month. In Macon, monthly rates are a little higher at $6,783, and in Albany, seniors pay $6,813. Valdosta is the most expensive surveyed city for this type of care at $7,841 per month.

$6950

Valdosta

$6266

Athens Area

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Ellenwood have access to several different care types depending on their needs, preferences and budgets. Home health care features home-based personal care services, housekeeping and some skilled nursing services for $4,195 per month. Home care is similar but doesn’t include specialized care, bringing its monthly cost down to $4,147. Assisted living may be an option for those who need intermittent or short-term skilled nursing and is affordable at $4,000 per month. Adult day health care is the cheapest option at $1,300 per month, and nursing home care is the priciest at $6,950 per month for semiprivate accommodations and $7,559 for private rooms.

$4147

Adult day health care

$4000

Assisted living

$6950

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7559

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Ellenwood was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Atlanta Area, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Ellenwood, Georgia

Free Resources for Seniors in Ellenwood, Georgia

Seniors in Ellenwood have access to a wide range of resources that can help them make informed decisions regarding their long-term care options. The following resources are free or low-cost and can help older adults avoid or delay nursing home placement by helping them get the services they need in the community. The table also features agencies that help seniors identify the best options for paying for their care when nursing home placement is necessary.

Resource Contact Service
Office of Aging (770) 322-2950 The DeKalb County Office on Aging is operated by the Senior Services Division and is the designated Area Agency on Aging for Ellenwood and the surrounding region. It provides a range of services to those aged 60 and over, including case management, home-delivered meals and personal care services, which may enable seniors to get the care they need in their own homes. The office also administers two voucher programs, including the Adult Day Respite Voucher Program and the DeKalb County Transportation Voucher Program.
Veterans Field Service Office (404) 728-7664 The closest Veterans Service Office is in Decatur, about 12 miles south of Ellenwood. At this location, veterans get one-on-one assistance with obtaining benefits that may cover nursing home care, including the Aid and Attendance Benefit and pension programs. The office can also screen veterans for eligibility for veterans’ home placement and healthcare services.
Legal Aid Atlanta (404) 377-0701 Legal Aid Atlanta provides free civil legal services to those aged 60 and over. At the DeKalb County office in Decatur, seniors can get help with resolving issues in nursing homes, including problems with discharge procedures, substandard care and billing errors. The office can also help seniors access public benefits that may help cover their care or medical expenses.
GeorgiaCares (866) 552-4464, Option 4 GeorgiaCares is the statewide senior health insurance counseling program. This program is staffed primarily by trained volunteers who help seniors understand their Medicare coverage for nursing home care, Medicaid options and eligibility criteria and long-term care insurance options. Volunteers can also help older adults review and understand their medical bills and resolve billing errors.