The Gardens at Wakefield

Reviews of The Gardens at Wakefield

Independent Living Reviews for The Gardens at Wakefield

January 18, 2022

By Donna McG

The staff are caring, attentive & friendly. The activities are numerous & fun. I enjoyed the musical entertainment when I attended an event at the community. There are many planned outings for the residents including shopping trips & lunches out at restaurants.

January 18, 2022

By Elaine Elbeery

Our mom lived at the Gardens for many years and we could not have asked for a better living situation for her! It was very very hard for her to have to leave her home of several decades to move to an apartment living situation. Everyone from office staff to hospitality staff to therapy staff to fellow apartment building residents were incredibly welcoming and supportive! It took mom a bit to adjust to the change but once she did she absolutely thrived there! We just recently had to make the decision to move her to a more assisted living situation and it was very sad to say goodbye to this wonderful place! The Gardens have many amenities including varied daily activities on site and day trips out, therapy staff on site, very approachable office staff and a nicely diverse residential member demographic.

September 24, 2021

By Lisa

The Gardens at Wakefield independent living was very beautiful. It was very clean, welcoming, it smelled good, and everything about it was very nice. The staff that assisted me was knowledgeable and very friendly. During our visit, some women were playing a game of cards in a room. I think there was a place where somebody was playing the piano too. There was another crowd of people just sitting outside talking and singing.

September 09, 2021

By Sandra

I liked The Gardens at Wakefield. It's more of a senior independent living, but my mother's doctor recommended that they'd be a licensed assisted living community. It was very nice. It's a fairly new facility, and it was a beautiful location. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. It was homier, and they were my first choice, and if my mother gets to where she could be more independent, that would certainly be a place I would consider.

July 23, 2021

By Alison A

From our first visit, we knew we had found a special place. During the transition process, the staff have been patient, kind, compassionate and attentive. We are thrilled that Mom has chosen to be a part of this warm and welcoming community!

Hi Alison, We are so happy to have your mother as part of our community family!

June 23, 2021

By Jill

The Gardens at Wakefield had a nice setup, but it wasn't quite as bright and lively. I didn't see any residents milling around too. Tina sat down with me and talked to me about my mom's needs and what they offer. She was very, very nice. She wasn't too pushy but just seemed more of a typical salesperson than the other people I talked to. The one-bedroom apartment was too big. It had a whole separate bedroom and a separate living room, but it's weird because it only had a kitchenette with a refrigerator, a sink, a little stovetop, and a microwave, and it was like a long one wall. I needed something in between their one-bedroom and studio and they didn't have that. When you walked into the facility, it was OK. It's just not as open and spacious as the others that we saw, and it almost seemed like an old person's house. It was a little too expensive too. Cable is not included in their price but she tried to come down on the price for me many times. After we finished the tour, she took me back to the office and gave me a nice gift bag with some cookies in it. It was a very nice gesture and I appreciate it.

June 21, 2021

By Blackwood

The staff at The Gardens have been very accommodating and supportive during transitioning my family to the Gardens. The sense of community they have felt has been overwhelming. There has been such peace of mind knowing our family have so much support, friendship and camaraderie with the staff and residents.

June 08, 2021

By KKing David

The bottom line is that Mom is very happy with her decision to move to The Gardens at Wakefield. She has made new friends, the food is good, staff is attentive, facilities well maintained and general manager is highly visible and eager to get to know each resident.

May 29, 2021

By douglassla

We moved my Grandma in March and she is so happy. She loves all of the activities to do and the staff treat her amazing.

May 26, 2021

By hmcinraleigh

My Mom has recently moved to the Gardens at Wakefield and the experience has been excellent. The process of touring, moving and getting settled was painless. She is enjoying the 2 bed room apartment and all the amenities. She has met very friendly folks and all the residents and staff are super helpful. Couldn't ask for a better experience!

May 11, 2021

By ReviewerFC041821B

We toured The Gardens at Wakefield. The actual tour itself was handled very professionally and was very good. They did a wonderful job of both showing us what they offer, as well as answering our questions very honestly and openly. The location may not be the best for my dad, not that it's not close to me, but that had more to do with the surrounding area. He doesn't drive, so getting to easy accessible shopping may not be as easy, even though they offer transportation. As we look at the totality of the places that we looked at, while the tour and everything was great and the people there were wonderful, it's probably in the bottom half of where we stand.

April 30, 2021

By Marsha W

The staff at the Gardens at Wakefield are friendly and respectful. The apartments are spacious and feel like home. We are so glad we found the Gardens At Wakefield!

April 24, 2021

By Tbatti

The Gardens at Wakefield was a great choice for my mother and her husband to transition to an independent living facility. The activities that were becoming difficult for them, like cooking, transportation, doctors visits and house up keep are being taking care of for them.

January 18, 2021

By Johnny512

Seemed good going in but there is a significant price hike every year and it becomes unafforadable. The food is frozen/canned stuff. Nothing is fresh. Not even close to restaurant quality. Staff is constantly changing because no one likes dealing with complaints all the time. No activities due to COVID but they continue to charge the residents the same price (actually price went up!). Unfortunately, this is par for the course when it comes to these types of facilities. Their goal is to get every last dime from the old people living here while they are still alive. It is shameful.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to rate and review our community. We regret to hear that you have not been completely satisfied, and are confident this does not represent our community as a whole. We serve 3 chef-prepared meals daily, fresh from the kitchen. Due to protocols put into place to ensure the safety of our residents, our scheduled activities have changed, but we continue to offer fun and engaging activities for our residents. We would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your concerns. Please feel free to contact the local team directly, they would be happy to speak with you. Thank you

January 17, 2021

By LSJOY14

I cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience has been with The Gardens so far. My mom recently decided to move to an independent living situation and we could not be happier with how she has been treated by the staff there. From our initial visit, to the follow up, to the move and then helping to get her integrated and adjusted, Tina, Mark and everyone there have gone the extra mile to ensure she has had a positive experience. We were very nervous about the process and they did everything possible to make it as easy as possible. We are so relieved to have found such a wonderful environment for her! Highly recommend The Gardens!

January 02, 2021

By ReviewerRD12032020c

My brother-in-law has been relocated to The Gardens at Wakefield. We're only a little bit in, so I have limited feedback at the moment. He is thrilled there. He relocated from a different assisted living place and is just delighted to have more space and access to outdoors with a balcony. He is just very pleased. As a new resident, he was under quarantine for two weeks. He was receiving his meals in his room until his two-week quarantine was up. His food arrives in very nice, very durable plastic containers, which are recycled. He has to put it back outside his door when he is finished. In this new place, he has a full kitchen, and so he said, "Well, I know it takes a long time to get food from the kitchen to the room, but with my microwave now I can just re-heat what I want to re-heat." He is very happy about having the kitchen available. He has a full dishwasher, a microwave, an oven, a full-size refrigerator, and all those things that make life easy. They have all kinds of activities. They have an activity director who does a really good job. They take you to appointments, they take you to Walmart, they play cards, they have movie nights, they have sing-alongs, and they provide music. We are very pleased with all of that, too. My brother-in-law has not been able to do activities just yet because of this quarantine. The facility is lovely. They have lovely gardens and a lovely outdoor space. It's always clean. We are very pleased with the staff. They have been responsive, they have been very helpful, and they welcomed my brother-in-law and made him feel that they're really glad he's there. Other residents have stopped in to welcome him. We're very pleased. It's independent living, but they have an agency onsite to provide the services my brother-in-law would need.

October 02, 2020

By liz king

My Mom is living in a two bedroom apartment and it is very large and comfortable. She has lived there for approx. two years and will tell you it was the best decision she has ever made. The staff are amazing. They truly care for each resident and go out of their way to make them feel loved and special. We are very happy with the overall experience at the Gardens at Wakefield.

September 28, 2020

By bwakeco

I visited this facility/community last week as soon as I walked through the doors it felt like I was at home ,everyone was so nice and friendly The lady that showed us around Tina she is truly been called to do this work she was very professional sweet and kind and answered all of our questions I could not recommend this place strongly enough

September 24, 2020

By kate_

The staff is very caring - they made sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. They screen all visitors and follow guidelines to make sure staff and residents are protected from covid.

September 23, 2020

By MayCorbett

The staff at the Gardens is friendly and available. The housekeepers were amazing. Not only did they do a fantastic job keeping mom’s apt. clean but they were also her friends. They never left without giving her a hug and making her smile. There were always opportunities for activities and friendly residents to talk to. Spontaneous gatherings would happen with lots of laughter. We really appreciated the on-site hair salon and Sunday church services.

September 22, 2020

By JJ65

The staff makes The Gardens feel at home. From the kitchen staff to the housekeepers to the front office, everyone e is friendly and helpful.

September 22, 2020

By DForsythe

The Gardens is a well thought out community with a very caring staff. My Aunt who has lived here for several years loves the activities and the fact that she can live in a safe, carefree environment with people her own age.

September 08, 2020

By wb2aga

I love living here.. I have a full kitchen with a microwave oven a dish washer ,a stove, a refrigerator and a pantry. I have internet access and cable tv. I have a stall shower. Electricity and air conditioning are included. The social live is great, exercise sessions are available. Food is good 97.6 percent of the time. I have a two bedroom apartment. One bedroom is a MAN CAVE the other is for sleeping. The staff is GREAT.

September 06, 2020

By KBWarren

A warm, caring community resides in the Gardens @ Wakefield. Spacious rooms, large closets and full sized kitchens are standard. Kind and helpful staff, at all levels, are always willing to roll up their sleeves to help residents. Delicious, creative mealplan, and fun activities included.

November 29, 2019

By Kay

The Gardens at Wakefield was a nice place. There were buses available, and the pets were allowed at a reasonable price of $25 a month. There was no pickleball available and no swimming pool, but they had a guest room you could use.

May 06, 2019

By CH

The Gardens at Wakefield was very good. The atmosphere was very nice and the courtyard was wonderful. They have a lot of nice amenities. The staff was excellent and very friendly. The dining area was clean and they had a lot of different choices for food which is nice. You can get hamburgers any day and snacks any time. They have all kinds of activities like Bingo, entertainers coming in, piano, and they go on outings.

January 11, 2019

By W.B.

We visited The Gardens at Wakefield, and this is our second choice community. We walked through the place and saw some rooms, we also saw their outdoor areas and everything. We had a meal there and it was very nice. We liked the calendar of events that they had, we liked the appearance of the community specially the outdoor areas. It was nice. Everybody was very nice. They also had several options in room sizes which was good. But they're just too expensive and out of reach for ordinary people.

August 06, 2018

By Ava

My mother is at the independent living level of The Gardens at Wakefield, but we hired personal care assistance separately. It's a beautiful community and well-kept. The staff is very nice, the coordinator was very attentive and outstanding, and the variety of activities are great. I have no complaints at all. My mom didn't want to participate but the activities director was very patient, sat her down and talked to her. She had a very nice 1-bedroom apartment, it had a washer and dryer, bathroom, kitchenette and it was clean. The cleaning services comes in once a week and took care of the vacuuming and garbage. It was a very nice and welcoming place. I also wanted to say how sweet they were, the kitchen staff would come on their days off or on their breaks and would sit with my mom to provide company. She loves it there and they love her, it was really cute to see that. My mother had a really enjoyable time that she spent there. The food was good, there was a time when they had a change in the kitchen staff.

October 06, 2017

By Mary

Our daughter is at The Gardens at Wakefield because she suffers from bipolar depression. She is 59. She was very lonely and living by herself, and she said that she would like to go where there are other people. The activities are there if she wants to do them. She just called and told us the activities she did for the day, which were good. They appear to encourage friendliness among the residents. It was a very difficult adjustment for my daughter as she is the youngest person there, but she is fully adjusting. The facilities are nice. They just recently cleaned all the carpets and furniture. The people are very kind. The woman who interviewed us before we started was very friendly and very caring. The community is in a nice area, and they have a lovely garden for people to walk through. I'm just very thankful.

November 19, 2016

By Kristy145240

The Gardens at Wakefield is in a very quiet area, and the staff is very friendly and very nice. It looks a little older, but it’s a perfectly nice place. The dining area was located right when you walked in which my mother didn’t like, but it didn’t bother me. A 2-bedroom unit was the largest place, and it was about 1200 sq ft. They have some exercise classes, but their workout room is not very well equipped which is not good for my mom because she still works out. They don’t have a pool which a lot of the other places have. They had things that they did together like art but not a lot of physical activities.

October 27, 2016

By Carla173106

I live in The Gardens; it’s very nice, but very expensive. Other than that, there are plenty of activities, and it’s very nice. The food is so-so; sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not, and it’s not the greatest. I don’t think institutionalized food is any good anywhere. My apartment is big enough for me; I have a 1-bedroom, 1- bath, a living room, and a kitchen.

November 09, 2015

By Robert114198450

We visited The Gardens at Wakefield. We liked the facilities because they were completely equipped with kitchens, two bathrooms, and laundry facilities in each apartment. There is a guy from New York who is in charge of outreach for all of the facilities under the Holiday Communities. He and his wife were there on a two-week stay, but they took over and hosted our visit to the fullest. They took us around and introduced us to most of the key staff and personnel. We had a great visit. Everybody there was friendly. They have a full calendar of activities posted somewhere in the dining area, and it was filled up for the month. The food was very good, too, with excellent variety.

June 29, 2015

By Chuck14

The Gardens at Wakefield actually was pretty nice. It is a little farther away than I wanted to drive, and the cost is a little more than I expected, but other than that, it was a pretty nice place.

June 21, 2015

By TW1

I was very impressed with this facility. The staff and residents were knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Staff followed up with me to answer any questions and to invite me back. The facility and grounds made you feel as if you were in a very nice apartment complex. This facility was in my top 2 pick for my mother.

August 26, 2014

By Caring92046450

We are very happy with the Gardens at Wakefield. We like fact that it has a washer and dryer in each apartment and a full kitchen, but that they also serve three meals a day. The staff is very supportive; the grounds are well-maintained; and they have a lot of activities planned for the residents. My father likes it a lot. They had a chef and they really liked the food, but then they changed chefs and the residents are not as pleased with the menus that they have now.

May 29, 2014

I've been visiting The Gardens for 4 or 5 years. I was very familiar with it. The food is very good; they have 3 meals a day. They have a washer and dryer in the room. They have a good staff. They have trips in town and meetings for various subjects. They have a regular schedule of buses to the grocery stores and doctors. The rooms looked all right to me. I don’t think they're terribly small.

February 14, 2014

The size of the apartments is what I liked best about The Gardens, and the friendliness. The food, the staff. Everything about it is good. My mother feels very much at home. She describes it as a nice homey atmosphere.

December 30, 2013

By Karen82060650

The Gardens at Wakefield was very pretty, and the staff was very nice. The rooms were also very nice and adequately-sized. I would recommend this place.

June 19, 2013

By Amelia1

I visited the Gardens at Wakefield. It was a lovely place, but it's too far for my family. They got some nice staff and they have some nice rooms. The apartments have balcony. They are comfortable. They have transportation and exercise classes.

Questions about The Gardens at Wakefield

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at The Gardens at Wakefield. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What transportation services does The Gardens at Wakefield offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at The Gardens at Wakefield exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does The Gardens at Wakefield offer to independent living residents?

If The Gardens at Wakefield accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Does The Gardens at Wakefield work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Costs for The Gardens at Wakefield

Photos of The Gardens at Wakefield

Services and Amenities of The Gardens at Wakefield

• Housing Extra: Handicap Barrier Free Units Available, Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup, Walk In Tub, Washer Dryer Hookup

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator, Storage Space

• Technology Extra: Business Center, Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About The Gardens at Wakefield

The Gardens at Wakefield is located in Raleigh, NC, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

From pleasant housekeepers to attentive servers at mealtime and helpful maintenance technicians who are there when you need them, this community is the new extension of your family. We take pleasure in getting to know each of our residents and look out for their comfort and happiness. Our chefs prepare three delicious meals each day, served in our beautiful dining room. We provide housekeeping, linen services, fun and stimulating activities, off-site excursions, transportation to your personal appointments and a variety of classes and programs. Our warm, comfortable community and our friendly staff and residents will welcome you. We look forward to making your life easier any way we can.

So come to The Gardens at Wakefield for a visit...and stay!

Map of The Gardens at Wakefield